I'm suddenly a 350Z owner

Hi all. Just got myself a 4 year old 350Z, so I thought I’d join the owners club. It’s a 04 plate with GT pack in silver. Rear parking sensors, but bog standard apart from that. Very nice to drive, but will probably take a bit of time to get used to. I moved up from a Honda Prelude vti – a very different car. There is not a lot of torque in the prelude so you have to spin the engine to get the best out of it. The low down torque of the 350Z is a pleasant change. I’m not quite sure how to get the best out of it yet (what do people normally set their rev light to – I looked at the power/torque curves and thought 6000 would be a good place to start?). Also it’s the first rear wheel drive car I have owned – I’m being very careful at the moment, but even so there have been two occasions when I‘ve been glad of the traction control.

I’m looking forward to discussing the attributes of the 350Z and getting some good tips. I’m sure there is plenty of wisdom in the forums.

Hi and welcome to the site! :thumbs:

The light is just for you as an aid, so you can set it where you like, it won't change the rev limit or anything. I have mine set at the top.

Loads of info on here, take a search around and ask any questions you need to.

Oh, and :worthless:

:teeth:

I always leave the traction control on when i'm on public roads it's rescued me a few times, until you get a good dry road it can be a handful esp after a front wheel drive car. I come from an RX8 and i'm still not used to the low down pulling power!! But it's fun trying :D

My last car was an RX-8 too :)

What I hate about the ESP is when you are accelerating over a not so smooth road and it cuts in while your accelerating hard over a few mild undulations :rant:

Also, when it starts sliding and then the ESP takes the powere from the rears it can be pretty unsettling too when you naturally try and catch it.

I used to take the ESP off in the RX-8, both settings of it ;) (hold the switch in for 7 seconds or longer and it totally removes it :teeth: )

Yeah i used to take it totally off on the RX as well but it was very predictable, the Z is a real handful esp in the wet! The only thing with the Z is that it kicks in at the slightest bit of spin and totally kills all power :angry: I tried it off once but nearly lost it on a roundabout so i'll keep it on till the summer

Oh yes. Forgot about pics. Not had a chance to take any decent ones yet. Only had it two days. But this gives you the idea.

Welcome to the site - my first ZED was an O4 GT in silver - so good choice :thumbs:

Oh, and the parking gets easier :p

:welcome: and enjoy the Z.

Like you, I came to the Z from a Prelude, and it is a quite different prospect to drive. Unlike you, I suspect, I am old enough to have driven lots of rear wheel drive cars, though none came anywhere near the Z. :thumbs:

:welcome: to the forum. With this been your first rear wheel drive car i well recommend leaving your ESP on epecially in the wet. :thumbs:

:welcome:

Can't agree with Beavis enough.

Whatever you do, don't mistake the fuel cap button for the traction control in the dark. Did this last week and didn't realise until the car was sideways in the middle of a roundabout :blush:

Still don't know how I managed to do it, but wow what a rush :teeth:

Got a couple of newbe questions. Firstly changing gear. I've noticed that when I hit the clutch, the revs go up a bit. Even if my foot is well off the gas when I hit the clutch, the revs blip up by about 500 rpm. Is this normal?

Secondly, does anyone have suggestions of ways I can put may mark on it. Any minor styling mods that would just make it look that little bit different (without going over the top)?

Welcome 45. Looks like you've found yourself a good'en. Track days are great opportunity to learn the car and your limits in unison. ;) Enjoy.

theres plenty little touches that can be added to make it more individual, a few good traders on here that im sure will help you with that.

But we're only allowed one gorgeous Hulk machine per forum. :D

:welcome: to the forum. With this been your first rear wheel drive car i well recommend leaving your ESP on epecially in the wet. :thumbs:

Whatever you do, don't mistake the fuel cap button for the traction control in the dark. Did this last week and didn't realise until the car was sideways in the middle of a roundabout :blush:

Why did you want to open your fuel cap in the middle of an island? :blush:

Why did you want to open your fuel cap in the middle of an island? :blush:

:lol:

Secondly, does anyone have suggestions of ways I can put may mark on it. Any minor styling mods that would just make it look that little bit different (without going over the top)?

If you intend going to a 350z-uk.com meet and you want to be different, keep the OEM aerial, don't modify the engine bay with a JWT popcharger or Kinetix Plenum, keep running on the standard UK18's (with Bridgestone's), keep the standard zorst, standard grill, standard lip, standard skirts, standard spoiler and don't put any rear spats on. Oh, and lastly don't put any real or fake carbon fibre anywhere.

Do that and you're guaranteed to be unique and it won't cost you a penny! :thumbs:;)

If you intend going to a 350z-uk.com meet and you want to be different, keep the OEM aerial, don't modify the engine bay with a JWT popcharger or Kinetix Plenum, keep running on the standard UK18's (with Bridgestone's), keep the standard zorst, standard grill, standard lip, standard skirts, standard spoiler and don't put any rear spats on. Oh, and lastly don't put any real or fake carbon fibre anywhere.

Do that and you're guaranteed to be unique and it won't cost you a penny! :thumbs:;)

You forgot LEDs ;):lol: