Odd discussion - Sleep related

grahamc

On the topic of sleeping - apparently iv been talking a lot during my sleep, sitting up, shouting, panicking. In the middle of the night. Thing is, I can't remember any of it. Kinda like night terrors. I can't remember what I dreamt about either. Probably Ekona's 'nukes are coming' thread.

• Like 1

For the last year or so, I have only been sleeping for 5-6 hours a night.... before that it was 7-9 hours. During that time I split up with my long term partner (and fiancee) so yes I was stressed. During this period, 2 hours of sleep was good. Now I am happy, eating well, exercising regularly and have very little stress in my life, but still only manage 5-6 hours of sleep.

I generally go to bed at about midnight, I fall asleep within seconds (very very rarely do I struggle to fall asleep) and without fail I wake up around 0515-0545 and I mean wide awake! No chance of going back to sleep. In the last 4-5 months, I have maybe had 2-3 days where I have gotten back to sleep and slept for another hour, but still woken up before my alarm which is set for 0745.

After 4-5 months, I have no odd side-affects, I do not struggle to stay awake, focus, concentrate, work, etc.

Most of my friends say its very odd and that I should speak to my doctor. Im not a fan of doctors, they will just want to prescribe something rather than trying to fix the rootcause (if there is one).

Anyone else ever had this?

Been doing a bit of reading and there are people that excel like this, so should I just accept it and figure out a way to use my extra time constructively?

Also a little difficult when you have someone who is fast asleep next to you, that you dont want to disturb (she is moody as hell if she doesnt get 8 hours).

Im in the process of reading articles now.........

My partner had this for a long time,always waking in the early hours and reading for up to 2 hours,She eventualy went to a hypnotherapist and after 2 visits she sleeps all night'There is nobody more sceptical than me regarding that kind of thing but I am amazed how well it has worked !!

The older I get the less sleep I seem to need, around 6 hours a night is average. I worked shifts for over 30 years and my hours of sleep would vary from 8 hours when I was on days to 4 hours when on nights and 9-10 hours on my days off. Once I retired in 2003 it took 12 months to settle into the new pattern but I guess it was 7-8 hours gradually falling away to the 6 hours I'm getting now.

Pete

I've been surviving on 6 hours a night for years now, except weekends ill have a later rise but not always. Never in bed before 12 and never get to sleep straight away and up at 6.45. Always takes me at least 20 mins to wake properly, morning cuppa always helps.

Reassuring to know I'm not the only one who doesn't get the standard eight hours a night.

I get sleepy quite early - usually in bed by 10, go to sleep no problem but inevitably wake up 3-4 am then lay there just thinking about random stuff until 6 when i get up to go to work. I don't think I've slept for eight hours straight in my entire adult life! :)