DIY Side Steps / Splitters / Diffusers / Skirt Extensions

Strudul

Yep, another of these threads. Got a lot more free time on my hands, so will hopefully be implementing some of my plans.

Was looking for some side steps, but the only option seems to be the Tarmac Sportz ones, which I'm not a fan of (too fat and appear to have been designed to suite the Nismo lip / spats, which is fine, but just aren't to my taste).

So (un)fortunately, I'm left looking at DIY options. Seems to be a few different ways people have gone about it, but getting a long strip of plastic, shaping it, and painting it seems to be the easiest / best solution.

However, what I'm unsure of is the best type of material (ABS? PVC?) and what thickness would be most suitable.

Second question is how to mount. The Tarmac ones stick up and bolt straight in up behind the skirt (green area). Should I fabricate a block to replicate this, space it with washers, or just Sikaflex / self-tapper it straight to the skirt (red area).

Couple examples for inspiration, cos I know you guys love my sources:

Lexus

BMW

Lotus

Try keep it on topic please :thumbs:

29061eb41069e663b9ec4b8624c34a78.png

Splitters-2006-3.jpg

Splitters-2007-4.jpg

A194EEDA-80FA-4978-A404-E83526FE2DEC.jpg

1B9B432D-D8BE-487E-8E7A-FB58DC3E0E58.jpg

8706EB70-362D-4FE8-9E9A-71B66523CA64.jpg

Edited by Strudul

Just copy what your sources did. After all, they're the best as they've already done the hard work and no-one on here will know what they're talking about. ;)

But seriously, just pick an example you like and copy that.

I would personally use PVC fascia board like the Lexus example you posted, as its more flexible than ABS giving it some flexibility against any knocks or scrapes, regarding thickness they only come in standard thicknesses, any of them would be suitably rigid enough to create the side steps/diffusers. They also come in a black finish so wouldn't need painting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would personally use PVC fascia board like the Lexus example you posted, as its more flexible than ABS giving it some flexibility against any knocks or scrapes, regarding thickness they only come in standard thicknesses, any of them would be suitably rigid enough to create the side steps/diffusers. They also come in a black finish so wouldn't need painting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent advice, cheers.

I'm a real fan of the Lotus ones, style wise. Definitely would buy some if they were on the market

Hint taken, but no promises :lol:

Couldn't make any that wide for the Z without overfenders / WB. The Elise body curves under significantly, so you can go wide without it sticking out past the wheels and looking silly.

I'm a real fan of the Lotus ones, style wise. Definitely would buy some if they were on the market

Hint taken, but no promises :lol:

Couldn't make any that wide for the Z without overfenders / WB. The Elise body curves under significantly, so you can go wide without it sticking out past the wheels and looking silly.

Well, my zed will have 50mm arch extentions eventually 😉

All the black fascias seem to be "black ash" wood effect rather than just plain black :(

Edges are white too, so will still need some form of painting / colouring.

black_ash_18mm_fascia_board.jpg

Edited by Strudul

From what I remember when fitting mine there is a fair bit of curve and bend horizontally and vertically, its not going to be a case of buying something flat and just cutting around the edge as far as I remember?

honestly.... for what is worth ,time is money and it is just easier to buy the parts rather then manufacture them as that will be quite a bit of time consuming plus trial and error etc...

if I would be on a tight budget I will just find extra work and pay for them :headhurt: