DIY Side Steps / Splitters / Diffusers / Skirt Extensions

Strudul

I bought a Stillen front splitter and these side steps, I didnt have any body kit modifications i.e. spats or the like and felt it worked quite nicely and didn't stick out that much compared to the rest of the car?

med_gallery_14774_327_103014.jpg

• Like 1

honestly.... for what is worth ,time is money and it is just easier to buy the parts rather then manufacture them as that will be quite a bit of time consuming plus trial and error etc...

if I would be on a tight budget I will just find extra work and pay for them :headhurt:

Problem is that they don't exist....

I'm essentially on holiday for the next 4 months, so I have all the time in the world. I'd rather "waste" my time making things and doing what I enjoy than find some crappy temp job.

This guy installed flat ones with no issues though:

Edited by Strudul

That 2nd step is raised up behind the skirt so you can easily bolt it on is it not? Or is there another step I'm not seeing?

The back edge at the tallest point (far right on above pic) is what bolts onto the OEM skirt

Which is all hidden up behind the skirt?

The only visible bit is flat?

That 2nd step is raised up behind the skirt so you can easily bolt it on is it not? Or is there another step I'm not seeing?

The back edge at the tallest point (far right on above pic) is what bolts onto the OEM skirt

Which is all hidden up behind the skirt?

The only visible bit is flat?

the visible bit is flat but also the transition to the side step is slightly visible but ties up nicely

if you have a look at the second screw in your video above, you can actually see the screw after he attached the step,I still have the Tarmac ones and very pleased with them although I do like custom made stuff if it is done right

:thumbs:

• Like 1

the visible bit is flat but also the transition to the side step is slightly visible but ties up nicely

if you have a look at the second screw in your video above, you can actually see the screw after he attached the step,I still have the Tarmac ones and very pleased with them although I do like custom made stuff if it is done right

:thumbs:

I see what you mean. Looks like that 2nd screw isn't obvious unless you are at eye level with the side steps though, otherwise you'll never see it. He also used self tappers rather than bolting up behind the skirt or using Sikaflex, which would be invisible.

I think the Tarmac ones are just too blocky and looks more like a lip than a splitter. It's the same thing that puts me off most front lips for the Z. They stick up and overlap the bumper and just look weird and stuck on (imo).