Castrol edge 5w 30 ??

Rob350

I have been using Castrol edge 5w 30 fully synthetic on my last three cars including the zed..

Is this a good oil for the zed?? Iv seen most people use Motul 8100 Eco-Nergy 5W-30 Fully Synthetic,is this a better oil?? Or can it handle higher temps compared to the Castrol??

I do the odd trakday so would like something that can take a beating.

any reccomendations please??

cheers

Cheers guys, The Castrol oil selector is saying I should be using 5w 40 in A 350z not 30,

Do you think its worth changing?? I'm about to service my car so nows the time to change if I am..

Also does anyone know where I can buy molyslip for the gearbox?.

Most go for 5w30, but it doesn't make much difference and people successfully run either.

You can mix brands of oil no problem. There's no right or wrong and everyone has preferences.

Molyslip you can pick up off ebay here, but some of the traders might sell it too.

If you just drive the car normally, I'd almost say use whatever works for you, change it a couple of times a year if it's cheap (it'll break down under harder use).

If you hit the track, definitely spend more on some decent stuff and change it every 2-3 track days.

Petrol engines are less needy the diesels when it comes to oil. Most oils have an 'ash quantity' that helps the soot content of diesels and prevents the blocking of the dpf. Petrol's aren't as picky, its more the weight and rev range that affects them. I used to have 3 barrels of oil for servicing, 10-40 5-30 and fords eco boost. Now i have 12, they take up more room than my tyre supply. And they keep adding to the range.

Edited by Jay84

Cheers guys, although I have just taken delivery of all my servicing stuff today, I ordered castrol edge 5w 30 fully synthetic as that's what Iv used in my last 3 cars and I think its a decent quality and not cheap at £50 for 4 litres (I got it for 37 though in a sale)

I'm about to change my gearbox, diff and engine oil, flush my brake fluid, put yellowstuff pads in and change spark plugs.

Just wondering how I add the Mollyslip to my gearbox?? Can I mix it with the oil then use a big syringe thing to put it in my box, or put oil in 1st then add the molyslip??

Also do I i use the full tube of molyslip??

I appreciate the help chaps..

Cheers guys, although I have just taken delivery of all my servicing stuff today, I ordered castrol edge 5w 30 fully synthetic as that's what Iv used in my last 3 cars and I think its a decent quality and not cheap at £50 for 4 litres (I got it for 37 though in a sale)

I'm about to change my gearbox, diff and engine oil, flush my brake fluid, put yellowstuff pads in and change spark plugs.

Just wondering how I add the Mollyslip to my gearbox?? Can I mix it with the oil then use a big syringe thing to put it in my box, or put oil in 1st then add the molyslip??

Also do I i use the full tube of molyslip??

I appreciate the help chaps..

I hope you know that the zed will take near on 5 litres of oil for an engine oil change?

The molyslip comes in a tube with a screw on nozzle so can be squeezed straight in the gearbox easily enough, along with nearly 3 litres of gear oil. You could mix the molyslip with the oil in the bottle too if you wanted but it will all get mixed up anyway :)

Ask if you need anymore help :thumbs:

If you're a Costco member, keep an eye out for their 20% off Castrol sale about twice a year.

You'll end up paying about £27 incl vat for 4 litres of Castrol Edge.

Our 3 cars need about 5 cans a year for servicing so the savings can add up to quite a bit :thumbs:

i have just spoken to Castrol about this very issue and asked why they recommended two very different products for my car (when entering reg number) Castrol Magnatec 5w 30 A5 or Castrol Edge 5w 40 FST

I was told for everyday driving he would recommend the Magnatec as this is the closest to manufactures own oil

Also I told him my car was a 2005 car with 119000 miles

Edited by mav388

Very interesting to hear the man from Castrol recommend Magnatec!

I always considered this their budget oil.

With the many offers available on Castrol egde I'd stick with that over Magnatec.

For most average commuters I'm sure Magnatec is fine but I'm sure every zed will enjoy at least the occasional spirited drive where the oil will be under a little more stress.

In such cases I'd always pick a fully synthetic over a semi like Magnatec.