Anyone upgraded their Sony Playstation 4 storage?

GMballistic

Just remember to set up automatic back up on your playstation before you do anything else, as if it does go pear shaped least its not permanently lost!

You'll find with many games, BF1 for example a fresh download makes it smaller. Not sure why but the file size decreased by nearly 25GB. Thats a lot of waste files!

I upgraded to a 1TB last week, was blissfully easy. The 16 hours of downloading not so much lol

Edited by Olly350z
  • Like 1

Just remember to set up automatic back up on your playstation before you do anything else, as if it does go pear shaped least its not permanently lost!

You'll find with many games, BF1 for example a fresh download makes it smaller. Not sure why but the file size decreased by nearly 25GB. Thats a lot of waste files!

I upgraded to a 1TB last week, was blissfully easy. The 16 hours of downloading not so much lol

Cheers Olly. I already have "automatic upload" set up as I found out yesterday whilst checking so all my game saves are duplicated on that.

Funnily enough though this all started because I have the latest BF1 update to download which I can't do because I need more memory/storage space for it. I deleted all unnecessary stuff on my PS4 like picture captures from games where I've received trophies etc but it still wasn't enough.

2000GB (2TB) should be plenty for now, ...I hope. :scare::teeth:

I was rather annoyed to find that my automatic upload was switched off! The entire time I could've lost the lot! Im happy with the 1TB, got everything I want on there with just 600GB to go, and it didnt cost me a penny!

Its odd how battlefield shrank though, can only put it down to some kind of stealth optimisation. You'll like the new update, its made a big difference in how the game feels and looks!

Did it on my PS3 and that was a piece of urine.

Had to get a HDD caddy but that was the only unusual piece of hardware or equipment I needed.

Seems easy to do on the PS4 too providing you stick within the limits of the size of the HDD you can fit, 9.5mm being the maximum.

Just waiting for my HDD to arrive. :thumbs:

Had to get a HDD caddy but that was the only unusual piece of hardware or equipment I needed.

Seems easy to do on the PS4 too providing you stick within the limits of the size of the HDD you can fit, 9.5mm being the maximum.

I put a 2TB in my PS3 just to install GT6.

Crazy.

I put a 2TB in my PS3 just to install GT6.

Crazy.

Don't talk to me about GT6 on the PS3, :dry::lol: ...those were the days when you couldn't save GT6 halfway through a race so I left my PS4 on for well over 24hours whilst I was completing the real time "24hr's LeMans" race. It ended up overheating and died. :surrender:

The PS3 I owned was one of the original fat versions and well out of warranty by the time it died. I ended up buying a new PS3 slim in the end as at the time there was no sign of the PS4 anytime soon.

I would say the most difficult part of the operation is having the right size screwdriver. Changing a plug is more challenging! :D

• Like 1

Can you save GT halfway through a race now then? I haven't turned my PS3 on in well over a year. I left it here when me and the ex moved to a new house.

My xbox1 has been on for 4 days now lol.

Yep for the endurance races they added an update at some point which allowed you to "suspend" the race and save it. Only thing with it was that when you next turned on Gran Turismo the only race you could do was the one you'd already started. ;)

I would say the most difficult part of the operation is having the right size screwdriver. Changing a plug is more challenging! :D

No worries then.

I have plenty of screwdrivers and screwdriver bits here to choose from at home. Might even use my TengTools miniature ratchet with a screwdriver bit just to be different. B):teeth:

Just get a 1tb external hard drive and avoid ruining the warranty

What warranty? :dry::lol:;)

My PS4 is approaching 2 years old so no warranty on that my friend. Also as I explained to Dan earlier in the thread I'd rather not have an external HD plugged into the front of my PS4 especially as Sony have made the HDD easy to swap.

In fact I fitted my new 2TB hard drive the other day and it was a doddle. The PS4 is running great and I'm now slowly reinstalling the games I have which is the longest part of the whole process.

Definitely worth doing imho. :thumbs:

Do they not just automatically download? Mine did when I had to get a replacement Xbone.

They start downloading once you put the game disc in for the first time, ...once the latest version of the games update has loaded onto the PS4's HDD you can then choose to download the games save files from the cloud or a USB depending on where it was saved (my games are on the cloud as I'm a PS plus subscriber).

It's better I think as there are games on the cloud which I don't own anymore so don't want them to take up storage/memory space on my new HDD. I traded in 3 games the other day which I didn't play anymore really and getting the new HDD pushed me to do it as I didn't want to download them onto the hard drive.

It's so nice now looking at my available storage space and still having so much left. :D

I traded in 3 games the other day which I didn't play anymore really and getting the new HDD pushed me to do it as I didn't want to download them onto the hard drive.

Can never bring myself to trade in / sell games. What if you get the urge to play it again??

I've got games that I won't touch for years, then spend a couple days playing and trying to progress or get a few more achievements. DMC4 and Ninja Gaiden II are noteworthy examples of slowly working through the difficulties, giving up for months / years and coming back to them.

Can you save GT halfway through a race now then? I haven't turned my PS3 on in well over a year. I left it here when me and the ex moved to a new house.

My xbox1 has been on for 4 days now lol.

Yep for the endurance races they added an update at some point which allowed you to "suspend" the race and save it. Only thing with it was that when you next turned on Gran Turismo the only race you could do was the one you'd already started. ;)

No worries then.

I have plenty of screwdrivers and screwdriver bits here to choose from at home. Might even use my TengTools miniature ratchet with a screwdriver bit just to be different. B):teeth:

Now that's pushing the boat out! Love the Tengs Tools, very nice pieces of kit. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Can never bring myself to trade in / sell games. What if you get the urge to play it again??

I've got games that I won't touch for years, then spend a couple days playing and trying to progress or get a few more achievements. DMC4 and Ninja Gaiden II are noteworthy examples of slowly working through the difficulties, giving up for months / years and coming back to them.

I do agree with you that ultimately it would be nice to keep all the games you buy in case you want to replay them in the future but I often play games repeatedly for months, sometimes going through all the levels of difficulty as well as trying to complete all the trophies & other achievements.

In the end I tend to get bored of them after doing what I perceive as everything plus I don't like paying full price (£39.99-£49.99+) for games that have just come out so it's nice to put used games towards new ones.

Traded in "Fallout 4, Dirt Rally and Sniper Elite 4" towards "Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3" the other day which was £49.99, of which I paid £6.99 on top of the games I traded in so not bad I thought. :thumbs:

Oh you have the old-fashioned way of actual discs, I forgot. Okay, that makes more sense now.

Yep I like having something physical that I can touch. :D "Oooohh erhhh Mrs" :lol:

Now that's pushing the boat out! Love the Tengs Tools, very nice pieces of kit. :thumbs:

I've got Snap-On, Halfords Professional, Bluepoint (Snap-On again but cheaper), DeWalt and some miscellaneous tools but decided to try Teng Tools when I needed a mini ratchet for working at a new job.

It's a great bit of kit, very strong, compact and with a lifetime guarantee I'm not worried about breaking it. ;)

41jQywGYTmL._SX355_.jpg

Not cheap but quality never is. Highly recommend it.

I do agree with you that ultimately it would be nice to keep all the games you buy in case you want to replay them in the future but I often play games repeatedly for months, sometimes going through all the levels of difficulty as well as trying to complete all the trophies & other achievements.

In the end I tend to get bored of them after doing what I perceive as everything plus I don't like paying full price (£39.99-£49.99+) for games that have just come out so it's nice to put used games towards new ones.

Traded in "Fallout 4, Dirt Rally and Sniper Elite 4" towards "Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3" the other day which was £49.99, of which I paid £6.99 on top of the games I traded in so not bad I thought.

I refuse to pay RRP for games, even if it is subsidised by trade-ins. Seems silly when you can wait a year or 2 and pick them for a fiver in CEX. Although I can't even remember the last time I bought a game... most recent I can think of is Dirt 3, and that will have been in 2011... :wacko:

I just struggle to get the to play games the days. Generally I have to get my ten year old nephew over so that I can 'help him out'. ������

I don't get anywhere near the time to game these days as I used to when I was in my late teens, early 20's but that's just life.

I just make time for myself whenever possible, ...not always to play games but also to just relax, watch a film or whatever. I know some people are ruled by their partners but that's not me and my Mrs is happy to read a book or whatever whilst I have a go on a PS4 game every so often. ;)

I wish I could mentally immerse myself in games these days.

I'm playing Fallout 1.5 at the moment.

It's a mod for Fallout 2 but is completely stand alone and very large in scale. The creators say 23 hours gameplay minimum. I played fallout 2 to absolute death. With different stats and skills each time and tried to solve the missions differently if there was more than one way depending on your characters personality.

The mod has been 10 years in the making and using programming etc that was destined for Interplays Fallout 3 under the alias Van Buren and also using another modders project called Fallout: Urop. Which was to be set in the wastelands of a part of Europe.

I've recommended other games and rarely does anyone listen. Not grumpy about it, lol, just wish they'd give them ago. Fallout 1 and 2 are very cheap and small downloads and the fun factor is top notch.

Beats Fallout 3/New Vegas/Fallout 4.

Anyway. I'm sodding off for dinner.