Anyone upgraded their Sony Playstation 4 storage?

GMballistic

Hello all,

I have a Sony Playstation 4 (Metal Gear Solid V Limited Edition) which I love so have no intention of selling it. I'd like to upgrade the memory on it as I have filled the measly 500GB already (can't update BF1 now without more memory :dry: ).

The PS4 for those that don't know uses a 2.5" SATA HDD so I have been looking at 1TB options as well as my prefered option of a 2TB HDD. I have done some research on this so I know it can be done easily enough providing you use a HDD which does not exceed 9.5mm in depth as it just won't fit the PS4 otherwise (so needs to be slim).

Looking at this as my 1TB option: https://www.amazon.c...ocketlintc07-21

And this one as a 2TB option: https://www.amazon.c...x/dp/B00I8O6OQ4

Does anyone know anything about using either of the two HDD's above?

The other thing have any of you reading this done this yourself? Any tips if so?

Here's some info on doing this from Sony if anyone else is interested or considering it. ;)

Link: https://www.playstat...ystation-4-hdd/

NB: Title edited to reflect my true intent and the correct terminology. Storage V's memory (RAM).

Just get an external drive and plug it into USB: Sony brought this option to the PS4 in the last firmware update. Much easier.

Nice 4TB WD drive should be about £80 on Amazon. That's what I use on my Xbone.

Edit, TB not GB!

Edited by Ekona
  • Like 1

Following this as Its a pain having to delete games every time I want to install a new one and if its an easy job I'd be better of upgrading, I'm just not that tech savy

Everything I've read says to me that this should be a doddle.

If you look at the link I put at the bottom of my post it tells you exactly how to do it for each specific model number.

For example my PS4 is a CUH-1200 series so simply needs one of the top panels sliding off, which then gives you access to where the HDD is located. You then just unscrew one screw and remove the HDD which is held in a cradle.

Remove the old HDD from the cradle and put the new (1TB or 2TB) HDD in the cradle and re-fit in reverse order of removal.

Before doing the above you need to save your "games save data" to the cloud which is free for PSN Plus members (or to a 3.0 USB if you're not a PSN Plus member) and using a 3.0 or later USB again (or external drive) to download the PS4 latest software update so that you can upload that onto the new HDD once fitted.

Just get an external drive and plug it into USB: Sony brought this option to the PS4 in the last firmware update. Much easier.

Nice 4GB WD drive should be about £80 on Amazon. That's what I use on my Xbone.

I thought of that Dan but Sony have made it easy for us Playstation users to upgrade our consoles internally unlike the Xboxe's. You see I'd prefer not to have something plugged into the front of my USB ports all the time or a black box next to my console.

Upgrading the internal HDD will give the PS4 an OEM look still but with the benefit of increased memory. ;)

Fair enough. My HDD sits on top of my console, and has the ATV on top of that so stacks neatly, but I can see why you might want it all in one.

Means you can go for the 4TB option too, as 2TB is still too small IMHO.

Fair enough. My HDD sits on top of my console, and has the ATV on top of that so stacks neatly, but I can see why you might want it all in one.

Means you can go for the 4TB option too, as 2TB is still too small IMHO.

I do agree with you that for out & out memory space an external hard drive is without doubt the way to go. I looked at a Seagate 4TB HDD and it was just to thick to go inside the PS4 unfortunately (as it was 13mm I think).

Usually as I get rid of games I delete the data off my console but with the games being the sizes they are these days with lots of updates etc, I just have too many games on the go now to keep doing that.

I'm also eagerly awaiting "Red Dead Redemption 2" which I suspect will be huge so as much memory as possible is needed. Made my mind up to go for a 2TB now as that's the biggest I can fit inside the PS4 currently AFAIK. :thumbs:

I did it, just bought a laptop HDD with the right size (physical dimensions, not storage size) and decent speed, swapped it over. IIRC it needed a bracket (straight off amazon) because the original disk was a different size, but it was ages ago. I followed a YouTube guide, but it was super simple.

I'd probably buy an SSD now, as you can get cheap ones and it may save a few seconds on big loads and boot, but it's a luxury, not a requirement.

• Like 1

Does the PS4 have a USB port on the back you could use? Just thinking that you could plug the external drive in there then run the cable and box to somewhere you'd never see it, best of both worlds.

Alas no Dan it only has the 2 on the front on my model. Daft really but it is what it is.

I did it, just bought a laptop HDD with the right size (physical dimensions, not storage size) and decent speed, swapped it over. IIRC it needed a bracket (straight off amazon) because the original disk was a different size, but it was ages ago. I followed a YouTube guide, but it was super simple.

I'd probably buy an SSD now, as you can get cheap ones and it may save a few seconds on big loads and boot, but it's a luxury, not a requirement.

Out of curiosity do you remember what HDD it was and the memory space?

The HDD I selected above should just be straight swaps so no need for any bracket AFAIK which I googled but couldn't find to see.

Going to be the first to tut and smdh at the use of "Memory" when we're actually talking about "Storage" lol

I belong to the generation where they meant the same thing (Spectrum, Amstrad, Amiga etc), but technically, this is upgrading storage, not memory (RAM)

I'll put my pedant hat away now.

• Like 2

When did smh become smdh?!

On June 22nd, 2007, Urban Dictionary[6] user Metaview submitted the abbreviation smdh to the site, defining it as “shaking my damn head.†Within eight years, the definition gathered upwards of 1,000 up votes and 300 down votes. On October 24th, 2010, YouTuber crazeepromo uploaded the hiphop track “SMH†by rapper Jimmy Dade (shown below).

Going to be the first to tut and smdh at the use of "Memory" when we're actually talking about "Storage" lol

I belong to the generation where they meant the same thing (Spectrum, Amstrad, Amiga etc), but technically, this is upgrading storage, not memory (RAM)

I'll put my pedant hat away now.

:lol: Fair enough you're right. ;)

Well I've just watched a great, easy to follow video on this subject via Youtube....

Going to do a bit more research on getting a compatible 2TB HDD to see if I can find one below a £100 (please post any suggestions or shops etc) but failing that I'll most likely get the Seagate 2TB HDD I posted the link to from Amazon. ;)

• Like 1

Thinking I'll go for the Barracuda as it's the cheapest with decent features and seems to be a popular option.

Thanks everyone for all & any input. :thumbs:

Will update this with some info of how it all goes and some pictures providing I don't mess it up. :dry::lol:;)