Temporary BGW

TT350

Lets put it like this, "if" it does work, how are you planning to balance out the front?

The weight of the engine does that and the air hitting the front of the car. The bumper does create a bit of downforce and the engine weight helps. The back however just lets air flow off it. The BGW is a precaution to lessen the chance of spinning out. I've been watching many videos and it happens a lot.

It won't stop you spinning out, if anything it'll increase the risk as the car will handle differently to what you expect.

The Ring is not a place to be testing stuff like that dude :)

I'd have a go with it on before hand. Practice lap ;) lol.

I'll shelve the idea and just use the Syvecs traction control.

Lets put it like this, "if" it does work, how are you planning to balance out the front?

The weight of the engine does that and the air hitting the front of the car. The bumper does create a bit of downforce and the engine weight helps. The back however just lets air flow off it. The BGW is a precaution to lessen the chance of spinning out. I've been watching many videos and it happens a lot.

But "if" your wing works, you are pushing the back of the car down, so unloading the front, so how do you intend to get that balance out that effect?

But "if" your wing works, you are pushing the back of the car down, so unloading the front, so how do you intend to get that balance out that effect?

That's assuming the weight of the downforce on the rear exceeds the weight of the front of the car. What I'd hope to achieve is equilibrium.

I've never considered aerodynamics before because I'd never planned a track day. So that's why I'm asking.

I appreciate what you're saying but don't understand why you're trying to answer a question with a question. As you're obviously more clued up than me, you could answer the question instead of trying to berate me for asking it.

Adding rear aero, assuming it's even remotely functional, is going to add understeer to the front on the faster corners. That's going to make the car feel very sketchy, especially at the Ring when you think it's a speed circuit (as opposed to somewhere with lots of slow corners). Unless you know exactly what you're doing as well as knowing the Ring very well (50 laps or so), or have had the chance to have a play on a track beforehand, I think you're simply going to make the car worse for you.

Much better to have a car you know very well at a place as dangerous as the Ring, instead of a car you're experimenting with and have no faith in. You'll be really irritated if you end up crawling round the track because the car doesn't feel right, rather than just being able to enjoy it and concentrate. A car that feels weird is going to increase your likelihood of binning it, rather than reduce it.

By all means book a trackday up beforehand and go play with a BGW, but please don't do it there for the first time.

Adding rear aero, assuming it's even remotely functional, is going to add understeer to the front on the faster corners. That's going to make the car feel very sketchy, especially at the Ring when you think it's a speed circuit (as opposed to somewhere with lots of slow corners). Unless you know exactly what you're doing as well as knowing the Ring very well (50 laps or so), or have had the chance to have a play on a track beforehand, I think you're simply going to make the car worse for you.

Much better to have a car you know very well at a place as dangerous as the Ring, instead of a car you're experimenting with and have no faith in. You'll be really irritated if you end up crawling round the track because the car doesn't feel right, rather than just being able to enjoy it and concentrate. A car that feels weird is going to increase your likelihood of binning it, rather than reduce it.

By all means book a trackday up beforehand and go play with a BGW, but please don't do it there for the first time.

Thanks, Dan. You've answered my question in full there.

Any time bud :)

Mainly going from my own memories of going there, when I left my locking wheel nut key at home so couldn't fit the R888s on my spare set of wheels I'd had taken out there, so had to track on the MPSS. Turned out to be the better option, mainly because my speed was tempered because of this so I wasn't able to push as hard as I might've done otherwise along with the increased risks that extra speed brings.

Apologies, i would just presume that if you were increasing downforce on the rear it would be logical the front would become lighter so just asking of your intention regarding the front, it kind of goes hand in hand :)

No worries.

I'm not even sure how to increase downforce on the front. Obviously something that creates drag but I've never been one for performance oriented body modifications.