My tyres and wheels have arrived. Now im scared!

celiabaker

Oh, in that case, sorry and thanks for the clarification! Coming back after easter and must have not read all the posts in the meantime, my bad!!

P.S. And I agree! The way I describe it is that all tyres will give you 75% performance, the really expensive stuff will just get you a little closer to 100%.

Edited by Aashenfox

I might be wrong and happy to be corrected but I think the above comments were more aimed at the idea that if you do not buy premium range topping tyres you are going to die very soon either in a blaze of fire or upside down in a ditch ;)

Correct :) He shall remain nameless but the phrase "must have a deathwish" was used regarding budget tyres recently on here, hysteria, just a bit.....

Edited by Jetpilot

I think if you don't know any better then it's fine to run budget tyres. I think if you do know better and choose to run them anyway then either you're doing it for a very specific purpose, or you're just a bit simple. ;)

For most average drivers, they could run four mismatched tyres all round and not notice any difference until a Morgan pulls out in front of them. As sports car enthusiasts, I would hope that we should be setting the standard we would like others to look up to, and that starts with basic maintenance and upkeep. People spend hundreds buying the safest child seat they can, and then spend 37p on the tyres that keep the vehicle on the road: That, I will never understand.

I think the reality is that many people spend £500 on tyres not £800 and its deemed a problem. I would wager you could have had F1 heated pre prepped tyres on that Pug and would have made naff all difference - ultimately its the plonker behind the wheel. Shame common sense can not be purchased as readily as tyres...

• Like 1

Indeed, it definitely sits with the driver for ultimate responsibility. I'd always want to give myself the best chance of getting myself out of trouble though, working on the basis I am only human and do make the odd mistake at times, rather than rely on everyone else doing it for me.

Besides, these are sports cars! They're supposed to be fast and loud and awesome! Don't hobble them with crapness! :D

Ha I agree, Event tyres on my Celica were awful. I suspect the number of occasions where having MPSS over Bridges over GY etc would have saved an impact are minute - the number of occasions where someone takes their eyes off the road and does something significant.

TBH this thread is a beautiful example of what Im talking about. OP is not talking about buying budgets which I think we all agree is asking for trouble ........... but has ended up looking into returning perfectly good tyres because even though they are putting wider, better rubber on the car it will apparently have more tendency to oversteer. WTF?

IIRC Ive recently seen someone considering junking a perfectly good pair of RE050A's because they have been told that using them with a paid of MPSS will similarly unsettle the car.

Frankly, this is bullshit, I ran the same combination at a wet day at Blyton and was in the 3 fastest cars all day long, despite being well down on power on most. The fastest was an E36 325i and I think he had a different tyre on each wheel :lol:

While you can argue that for optimal performance using the same tyres on each corner is best, the difference between the performance of two quality tyres on the same car is not going to be apparent to most drivers, its certainly not going to affect the handling to the extent thats being claimed here.

Even if it is, tyre wear, tyre age, tyre pressure and wheel alignment have far more effect so should we be checking those every day too?

If not then I shouldnt worry too much about £20 or 10mm difference in the tyre that was on the car before TBF.

If your approach to driving is "I took that corner at 53mph yesterday so I must be able to do the same today" then youre going to crash, just through changes in road conditions. If you drive to the conditions and grip available then its regardless of tyre compound, you could put Bakelite tyres on your car and still stay on the road.

The obvious counter argument is the "emergency situation" but as Ive said infinite times, MPSS on the front and RE050 on the back are going to stop a lot better than even FK453 on all 4 wheels.

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

I don't know about going backwards into a hedge, as you say, that's down to the driver with any tyre, but I can tell you that the initial sizes were wrong and would have caused traction control issues, which she said she relies upon, so I absolutely recommend and support the decision to change those wrong rears for no other reason than to bring the dimensions closer to what Nissan's computer is expecting.

Regarding premium tyres, I can only say that 95% of people here in Greece are running 10 year old super budget nexen, sunshine, happy camper tyres, 150 quid for the 4, and our roads have about 30 per cent the grip that English roads have, and nobody is flying off into hedges.

I had MPSS on my BMW, before that I had budget Barum Bravuris on my Type R and now I once again have Barum Bravuris on my Zed, for me they are the perfect combination of mediocre dry grip (I like to be able to flick the back out) on the shiny Greek roads and low road noise (they are super dodgy in the wet, but then so were the MPSS). Given the quality (of the asphalt/tarmac, potholes notwithstanding) of english road construction, I cannot imagine anyone in the UK going backwards into a hedge after buying ANY high street tyre, even the very very cheapest, unless they allow them to wear out or get damaged in some way.

but I can tell you that the initial sizes were wrong and would have caused traction control issues

Yep, youve already pointed that out and been told thats not what Im getting at here. Search "mixed tyres" and have some time on your hands :lol:

perfect combination of mediocre dry grip (I like to be able to flick the back out)

More grip actually makes this easier, you just have to be going faster in the first place ;)

No doubt you're right, I would love it if there was some way I could convey the epic slipperiness of the greek 'asphalt', it's like polished glass, these tyres really work well on it, really progressive and easy, I drift on my daily commute, unavoidable, it's that or the tcs pees me off, so I choose the more fun option. :) I might do a vid one day.

P.S. I should also point out, there's nothing mediocre about the grip of the Bravuris, they're very strong on good tarmac, if a little squidgy. I like them cos they're cheap and offer a very good road experience in this particular car for my particular needs and driving style, and that's kind of my point, cheap tyres are fine if you know what you're buying, I love the low noise as well as fun characteristics, I would not swap for MPSS for free. But the kind of people who are able to choose a tyre based on its characteristics, their local road characteristics and desired handling characteristics, aren't in need of tyre buying advice anyway. I do recommend the Barum, I have no doubt they'd have EPIC grip on British roads, but they wouldn't last long on your grippy tarmac, whereas wear over here is very acceptable! Reviews in other european countries seem to concur. Kind of ironic, since the 3HM in the name means 'high mileage' and they just aren't, they're very grippy though, rumour has it that rubber is Conti sportcontact5 formula, but who knows. It definitely is Conti rubber though. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

Amazing how many products share the same parts - I watched a video on making K&N air filters the other day (yes was a bit bored but happy to spend the time upskilling on air filter production techniques!) and in the video they get to the part where they assemble them, and lo and behold AEM ones are made in the same factory by the same people using the same parts and put together on the same machine...I wonder how many people argued that AEM are much better than K&N...

• Like 1

No different to the crop of alloys available now, jr, borla, calibre, i would bet my left nut they are all made in the same factory.

Tyres are important, no doubt about it, but i am with Docwra, i am more than happy to run mixed tyres back to front and am currently doing so on my Vx, i certainly didnt seem to suffer, i know what grip i have at the back and i know what grip i have at the front, wheres the problem?

Edited by Jetpilot

Any pics of these wheels?

I returned my tyres and got a refund Friday. Ordered my new 275's today so hopefully pictures will be up this week.

Im so much happy that i sent them back. If id gone ahead and fitted them i would be worried about driving it.

Post pics up soon!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...