induction kit thingamebobs

z350convert

Loads of stuff on this issue here and many opinions.

I fancy an inexpensive enhancement that will make the car a bit more efficient, more fun or more powerful or any one of these. I was looking at short intake kits with cone filters but have been put off them because of the "hot air" controversy. Cold air ones are a bit more dosh and evidently can suck water. Some folk put extra plumbing in but I don't fancy messing around for little benefit.

A bit disappointed, I then thought of a sports intake cartridge in the standard box. More air in, more efficient no fannying about, discrete and maybe an even better exhaust note when it's pulling. HKS get good reviews and no need for expensive remaps. What could possibles go wrong for about £50.

Comments from the wise awaited.

Thanks in advance

PS. If short induction kits are such a naf add on why do so many people instal them, just for the suck?

It won't make any difference aside from noise/visual appeal with a CAI.

Proven that the stock one is 'best' with a suitable filter in place, and if an aftermarket CAI does manage to get a few more BHP, you won't see it without a remap unfortunately.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

People fit both cold air induction and short ram intakes for one of two reason, either aesthetics or noise. Don't worry too much about the heat soak issue, it's really a non issue unless your queuing up for a drag race on the strip, you'll notice no difference daily driving and there will be no difference when driving enthusiastically.

• Like 1

I swap between my 06' OE airbox and WAI with hard pipe, the noise alone of the cone filter on the big V6 is worth it for me. Then of course it thats what you're after, they also look way better than the OE air box too.

Day to day you're not going to notice 3-4bhp lose/gain either way........

Edited by davey_83

Took my zed to a dyno day 2 years ago and found that there are little to negligible difference between expensive panel filter to cheap ones. The guy at the dyno kindly did 3 runs.

1st run with used Blueprint panel filter (less than £10 and about 3000 miles or less), 2nd run with brand new HKS hybrid panel filter (around £35), 3rd run without filter (in controlled condition hence minimum concern with foreign object). Turns out, there are only about 2-3bhp between them. Blueprint was the least BHP, without filter was the best. So in terms of performance, there are not difference but i suspect HKS will have better filtration but less restrictions compared to Blueprint.

Changing to other intakes will only benefit from nice intake sound when you put your foot down....and some disadvantage in BHP but i doubt you can really feel it as you are too busy enjoying the intake sound =)

Edited by veeg33
  • Like 1

I just switched my standard paper filters (HR engine so have 2 airboxes) for K&N, they were a tight squeeze but they're in. Don't notice any difference at all in power but I guess they must be better than the paper ones that were in there! The thing i'd consider is can you hear the "brrrr" suction sound from the engine especially if you have an aftermarket exhaust? I've got the ark grip system and I doubt I'd hear any difference if I had two open cone filters in there over the exhausts, but it would look very pretty!