Favourite boxer?

TT350

Nigel Benn for me. Some classic fights between him and Eubank and sadly Watson.

Eubank was never the same after he hurt Watson.

Shouldn`t forget Collins as well. In my opinion he would never had beaten Eubank if he had fought him before the Watson fight.

Edited by gsexr

Chris Eubank - On the moment he knew he had Nigel Benn beat: “In the ring I looked at him and saw a relentless savage. But I also saw a man with a slight doubt on his mind. When he looked into my eyes he needed reassurance. I thought ‘It’s too late for that mate. You’re mine’â€

• Like 1

Favourite boxing personality of all time, yeh, Eubank. I always liked the cocky fighters, big Naseem Hamed fan too, in his day he was almost as good as Roy Jones. Eubank's son's career is coming on in leaps and bounds, he's a good little boxer, got the same heart and determination as his father, but we've yet to see if he has the chin. By God Eubank Senior had a rock solid chin.

Edited by Aashenfox

• 3 weeks later...

One of my favorite boxers is fighting tonight, Vasyl Lomachenko. He has a decent shout at being named amongst the most technical boxers of all time. Amazing to watch. He's fighting Jason Sosa, who isn't as good as he's made out to be and should prove the perfect, big name, mediocre challenge opportunity for Lomachenko to look good, which is just what his young, burgeoning career needs. Lomachenko by knockout in the 6th.

He's a double olympic gold medallist and his amateur record is the greatest ever recorded at 396 wins and 1 loss.

Edited by Aashenfox

Boxing... meh. It's too corrupt for me, too many dodgy decisions which ruin the sport.

Tyson was my favourite, but used to follow Lewis and Calzaghe quite closely. Dont rate any of the current crop, apart from AJ obviously.

Much more of a UFC fan. I've probably watched 90% of the UFC events from the last decade. Love it. Big one tonight again too.

I think there is a strong element of how good the competition was as to how good a boxer was - I notice not many people mention Lennox Lewis but he was a fantastic boxer, who had barely any decent competition in his time. Whereas Ali in his era had a succession of amazing competition.

Many people see it this way, you're right, but it's not fair on Lewis. Lennox Lewis has a CV almost as good as those in the golden age of heavyweight boxing, and is one of the most underrated heavyweights of all time (despite already being well recognised as 'one of the greatest' by true boxing fans). He is the only boxer (except those who never lost, naturally) who avenged all his losses. On every occasion he was beaten (and one draw to Evander Holyfield), his next fight (ok, there was a little gap before Oliver McCall got what was coming to him) was a rematch in which he knocked out his vanquisher. His revenge knockout of Hasim Rahman is still considered one of the most explosive knockouts of all time, and the cleanest one-two punch combination ever landed. That one-two would have put ANY man down.

Let's hear it for the Lion. He never dodged anybody and fought everyone on the circuit during his time, you couldn't have asked him for more.

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Lennox_Lewis

A few CV highlights...

Razor Ruddock

Tommy Morrison

Oliver McCall

Ray Mercer

Evander Holyfield

Mike Tyson

Vitali Klitschko

On his day he would have given any heavyweight in history a good fight.

Edited by Aashenfox

There are many worse footballers!

Anyway - I really rated Lewis, when he unloaded on someone with some combos they were so fast for a heavyweight, made it so much more exciting, in a way Tyson did with his hand speed and power. Evander Holyfield was also great to watch with his 'all in' style as well.

Enry's hammer anyone? :teeth:

I used to love watching boxing as a kid with my old man, though my memory is a bit poor. I do remember watching Prince Naseem, definitely remember some Lewis fights and Benn fights, but never really had an all out favourite, I was just happy to watch the boxing!

These days its about AJ, I'm super interested to see how he comes up against Klitschko. Can't wait for that fight at the end of April, that should be immense.

I guess you guys probably know he picked up the nickname from the boxer.

Nope, had no idea at all. Never heard of Donovan Ruddock at all tbh.

Ruddock the boxer was decent, some would say it's a travesty that he isn't a hall of famer, but he too fell victim to the 'boring era' of heavyweight boxing where he was beaten by all the 'greats' yet easily beat the journeymen, in a kind of no mans land between 'great' and 'the greatest', and due to the fact he didn't hold any world championship belt for a particularly long time. However, his two battles with Mike Tyson took a lot out of both fighters, he lost both, and neither fighter was the same again, setting up relatively easy wins over both for Lewis. If he had dodged Tyson, which he should have, he only took the fight out of frustration at the time because Holyfield chose to fight an aging George Foreman instead of Ruddock, a move the boxing world heavily criticized and accused Holyfield of cherry picking, he would have had a much better career and would now be a hall of famer.

He beat Lewis (on points) as an amateur, with many considering Lewis' professional knockout win over him another of his famous 'revenge knockouts' albeit many, many years apart.

I do remember watching Prince Naseem

I appreciate he was a good boxer, but dont think he ever came up against any real greats, plus the he was just such a c*cky sh*te, i only watched in the hope someone would give him a good shoeing ;)