Stubaru BRZ

Stutopia

Been a busy day today, including a bit of a horrorshow from the previous service.

The salesman promised to do a service before I picked her up, on the day I checked the air and oil filters - brand new. I checked the oil level, it was a bit over 'H' on the dipstick but not massively so. Anyway, a couple of weeks later I got a copy of the invoice (to prove the service for my history) and it revealed that not only was there cheapo oil (to be expected I suppose) but it was also the wrong grade. I decided to change the oil for the right grade (damn 0w-20 is expensive) and do the filters too. So I ordered 10 litres of Millers and oil and air filters that didn't cost 50p combined.

Dropped the oil out this afternoon, there's supposed to be 5.4L capacity (including a filter) and all this lot came out. That dog bowl has the best part of 10 litre capacity :scare:. It took me all of 2 minutes to find the correct capacity on Google. What's wrong with some people???

uYcJWKr.jpg

To top it off, both the sump plug and filter were touch tight, no tooling required. Nice!

Anyway, got that shock out the way and on to the fun stuff. Picked up this Ark GRiP second hand from another place (thanks billdingo :thumbs: ) It sounds mint!

995mq8W.jpg

Not too loud, quite deep on idle, nice bark on WOT and no drone on the motorway. Perfect for me and won't upset the neighbours on cold start. I'll do a noise vid in due course. Sort of got the weird scoobie burble sound going, which is quite charming IMO.

Cheapo enhancement to finish off, I kept my 350z cargo net as the fairly decent sized boot in the BRZ (it took my OEM exhaust with the seats down) has bit of hard and luxury free boot floor. This causes stuff to move around under normal driving, let alone fun. Picked four of these up from China on fleabay for a few quid.

LmErYED.jpg

Et voila!

GNDKKD6.png

A little piece of my Zed lives on in the BRZ (I also kept the Z's engine cover Ricey dipped, as a memento, it was too pretty to let go).

That's me done with enhancements, she's staying like this from here on. Only some lighter, wider, gold wheels can tempt my wallet out now.

N50sDF3.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having removed all the glaze hiding the myriad swirls all over my mica blue paint, I bit the bullet and took her to local a professional - http://www.autoshineblackpool.co.uk - I'm very pleased with the results and obviously can't resist some glamour shots to show her off.

o9pMnQe.jpg

94fR4Gl.jpg

4Q5xG6P.jpg

And a few reflection shots as well.

oKbTOGq.jpg

stVgtUp.jpg

P5rdo7B.jpg

QLQz0in.jpg

One last glamour one.

WSRnpUb.jpg

:cloud9:

• Like 4

Never have been that found of blue cars, but having seen a chaps blue 380rs on instagram and now this Im starting to turn to the blue side. What are these like to live with on a daily basis compared to a Z? Yours looks immaculate now

Never have been that found of blue cars, but having seen a chaps blue 380rs on instagram and now this Im starting to turn to the blue side. What are these like to live with on a daily basis compared to a Z? Yours looks immaculate now

Thanks mate :blush:

Not that different to the Zed in terms of daily livability. I get 30mpg instead of 20. Having, even frankly tiny, rear seats has its benefits every now and again. With the seats down there's a ton of boot space, I'm hoping to find out this afternoon if I can get a bike in there. The controls are all lighter than the Z, especially the clutch. The seats are perfect, even with my commodious rear.

I miss the Zed's low down torque, there's a distinct flat spot between 2-4k but I wasn't expecting anything else. I'm getting quite bored of the piped in induction noise, so I may plug that and see if it improves things in the cabin. The jap plastics aren't brilliant but most of them are covered in leather except the dash.

GET SOME GOLD WHEELS ON THERE BIZSNATCH!!!

And then some proper tyres, bloody Apollos! :p:lol:

They're better than I expected, I might chuck the Michelins on the rear away, go Apollo all round..

• Like 1

Slidey slidey goodness! Be just like my old MX5, that was a hoot on crappy tyres.

Except I've got grip on the rear and none up front :lol:

Can't change the rubber until I decide on the wheels, so the Apollos are here to stay for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Stu great reading.... the gold wheels look stunning i cant wait to hear this in the metal!

Yeah, I think I have my heart set on gold ones, I even like the look of the Enkeis, which aren't too expensive. Just need to make the $$$ first.

Everything is a work in progress Dan. Hoses isn't a bad idea :thumbs:

Don't worry Col, they're actually more purple than pink when you eyeball them.

It's the yellow fluid lids that really upset me, but it's a small fortune to replace the lot.

• 4 weeks later...

This afternoon I assembled the bulk of my tooling, ready for a major mod.

aHxzrw9.jpg

I then proceed to put on my Captain Brave pants.

Drilled into the inner skin of the boot lid.

Fitted a dirty great rivet.

Did some screwing.

After a few minutes hard work, the job was complete.

Can you tell what it is yet?

5d1sfwv.jpg

That's right!!!! It's a boot lid handle, in red!

God only knows why there wasn't one from the factory, probably weight saving ;) But as it's aftermarket goodness, it's good for AT LEAST 15bhp, so you know, that covers off the extra weight. Also, it's over the driven wheels, so extra grip and all that.

I also found a random boot magnet, silver, on the right.

b71dLsr.jpg

Why would there be a random boot magnet?

Other than to catch the metal shavings from my drilling?

Answers on a postcard.

• Like 1