A modern classic ...

AMT

...or so this mag says lol found this little mention at the services. Do you think the 350 will be considered as such in the not so distant future? I'm thinking in terms of the 350 being the one that apparently brought back the ethos of the Z cars and the 370 not really having had the same sort of desired effect.

How does everyone else think it will be regarded say 15 years from now, or will they all just be modded and consigned to the history books?f75377ea39fe580689c63830c6d12822.jpg425387e1d484b02b5f6112931cfa9a72.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Its one of those questions, that if you knew the answer, you would be a very rich person.

300zx's I understand are not 350z's (you could argue they are much rarer and twice the effective price of a 350z) are only now just creeping up, they bottomed out ten years ago.

R34 GTRs have doubled in value in the last couple of years after sitting around £20k mark for ages.

I think the challenge with modern classics is that they are built in such high numbers, much better put together etc. If you really want to make money on a 350z, should be worth something in 10-20 years time...not sure I would sit on a zed for that long with fingers crossed though!

After watching "cars that made Britain great" which said that a mint Ford Capri can fetch prices of up to 25k these days, maybe in 15 years the Zed, which will make the DE zed roughly 30 years old, might fetch a similar price. Who knows?

Edited by Rock_Steady

They'll never become a Jap classic in the way the 240 or R32 or Supra is, but because they have a large NA lump and a manual gearbox they'll stay desirable.

How comes the view on the NA? Because most cars are going turbo nowadays? Supra and R32 made it off the back of being turbo charged.

I can see some logic in that, although as above that didn't stop turbo cars like Supra's becoming highly valued over NA cars. I cannot see an NA Supra being worth more than the turbo version in the next 10 years.

There are some interesting papers written about 'iconicity' which are worth a read, about how and what defines an icon and thus creates value.

Turbo was the exception rather than the rule back in the days of the Supra though, and you'd always pay more for the fastest version. The values of the Supra are now set, but as they never did an FI 350 then it's a non-issue.

At the other end of the scale, I expect 458s to be worth significantly more than a 488 in 20 years' time. A good 430 manual may even top them both...

But in terms of what would drive value of the 350, I am not so sure it being NA would be the main reason or even one of the main reasons.

There are so many external factors that are unrelated to the car - I am thinking Bullit and the Mustang for example, alright the Mustang was a well known American car but it became and icon there and then which will have put a large positive value on the car.

With Nissan, if they go on and make another NA version of the Zed lets say, does the 350 retain that point of difference and become valuable.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that so many factors affect future value.