EU Headlight directive

martinmac

The lovely people at the EU have issued a directive that from 2010 all vehicles driving on EU roads will have to have dipped headlight on. We have no opt out on this.

This is so wrong for so many reasons its difficult to know where to start.

Their reasoning is that it will make vehicles easier to see. Thats like saying if all vehicles were dayglo orange they would be easier to see. On both occasions they would merge and give little definition.

They say that it will increase safety for cycles and motorbikes. At the moment motorbikes have lights on during the day which highlights them. If we all have light on it will make them less visible.

Finally, by driving with dipped headlight on it increases fuel consumption by about 5% on the average car. I had a vague feeling we were supposed to be reducing energy use at the moment.

The EU also state that this will help to give us uniformity of driving standards throughout the EU.... Drive on the left then :surrender:

In conclusion the EU are Muppetts :rant:

Another great way to waste Police time trying to enforce a ridiculous idea. Unbelieveable!

+1 - yet another reason not to get my R6 back on the road. If every muppet out there has headlights on, how on earth and motorbikes meant to stand out?!

Oh well, while the world is going tits up I have no problem destroying the planet with my 3.5l car as any kids I would have had, would have had a crap place to live, so why dont we just destroy it now :lol:

Another great way to waste Police time trying to enforce a ridiculous idea. Unbelieveable!

+1 - yet another reason not to get my R6 back on the road. If every muppet out there has headlights on, how on earth and motorbikes meant to stand out?!

Oh well, while the world is going tits up I have no problem destroying the planet with my 3.5l car as any kids I would have had, would have had a crap place to live, so why dont we just destroy it now :lol:

:lol: +1

It's not so hard to do.....

All manufacturers have the ability to just have the lights on all the time as the law is the same in Scandanavian countries. Hence Volvo's and Saab's more often than not having day running lights on all the time. My 440 has them on as soon as you start the car. When it was bought in in the Scandanavian countries early morning accidents plummeted, and given the amount of spacktards I see in the rain and dusk with no lights on I think this is long overdue. It isn't going to suddenly make all lights blend into the background is it though (bikes)!

I agree it would be barmy if the police are forced to enforce it on older cars. Fair enough any new car sold in this country with the same set-up would be fine but it would be a waste of time. They don't enforce light laws anyway, with the amount of idiot driving around with front fog lights on all the time! But I agree with the idea of day running lights.

this happened on motorcycles from 2003 but it does make more sense on a bike - be seen be safe etc

But that isn't just to benefit the biker - pedestrians, cyclists and car users can all do with seeing a car or bike. We do have 3 months of the year where it is dark well before and after normal working hours. :)

It's funny, I was driving through Spain a couple of years ago and saw more than one Volvo driving around without any daytime lights on. In fact, it was exactly this that made them stand out for me to notice. And it wasn't just one or two that might have had faulty circuitry, I saw loads.

And as for the bikes? well being an avid biker myself, I always live by this adage.....

:band:

Dark means danger,

so get yourself seeeeeeeen.

At night make it white, in the dark make it bright,

but get yourself seeeeeen.

Take a brush to your bike, use some tape if you like,

but get yourself seeeeeeeeeeeeen

Make it big, make it bold, make it bright,

to be sure that you're seen, keep your lights bright and clean.

Whether working for a living, or just riding for your pleasure,

let the world see a life is something that you treasure and get yourself seeeeen.

Make it big, make it bold, make it bright and get yourself seen.

:band:

It's funny, I was driving through Spain a couple of years ago and saw more than one Volvo driving around without any daytime lights on. In fact, it was exactly this that made them stand out for me to notice. And it wasn't just one or two that might have had faulty circuitry, I saw loads.

It's not law to run them in Spain and they can fairly easily be de-activated by the dealer. Plenty do it here too. :)

I ALWAYS have my lights on, in every car I drive. :)

+1 Always on.

Finally, by driving with dipped headlight on it increases fuel consumption by about 5% on the average car

Funniest thing I’ve read in weeks. :lol: If true please explain.

This is happen on many german cars today. I quite like my DRL angel eyes on my 5, and the line of LED's on the R8 and A/S5 are okay too. Not got round to switching mine off as cannot be ar5ed and do not think it is a real problem to other driver, unlike the ar5es that drive around in bright sun light with fog lights on.

Just hope that Nissan create something a bit different to a dim little orange bulb.

Finally, by driving with dipped headlight on it increases fuel consumption by about 5% on the average car

Funniest thing I’ve read in weeks. :lol: If true please explain.

+1

Or have I totally misunderstood how alternators work!

I agree also about all the muppets who drive with no lights on in very poor light - do they think that they are running down their battery if they put their lights on?