Willis' 350z TRACK//DAILY//GT//NUR

WillisRR

Hey Guys,

Introduced myself a few weeks back but thought I would start a bit of a build thread as I can already see this 350z escalating further than I initially thought it would!

32064295653_9f4911d5be.jpg

Got my 350z back in November last year after looking for the right one for a good while. I had been through the motions looking at loads of options from 997 911s, cayman S's, s2000s, M3s but the 350 just ticked all the boxes for such great money!

I happened to find an older gent selling this absolute garage queen. You could really tell the thing had been cherished and a garage wall full of autoglym/megs/poorboys products confirmed this haha! Had been used as a weekend car but he admitted he hadn’t had the time to enjoy it in a while…. I happily gave him my money, he genuinely seemed gutted.

I am lucky enough to have a few dedicated track toys including a Mazda MX5 fully prepped, mainly used as a cheap driver development toy and winter track day beater. It's a car i can let my friends drive on track and really push hard in without really caring about battle scars (it's seen barriers and many gravel traps )…. oohh and the more full on track mobile... A Fireblade MK Indy RR which I absolutely adore .

32064300493_ab6f20c725.jpg

32878851655_c7e8947e66.jpg

32878852635_5ebf8b2a77.jpg

First thing I bought for the 350z was a track day. I wanted to know where I stood before I set about the modification and development plan so the day after I bought the car I was booked on to Oulton, but unfortunately bad weather called the day off and I had to wait until the following weekend for a shakedown at Blyton. Very impressed with the level of performance, mega compliant and on a stock setup blew me away with how well body roll was controlled, little vid here, I did ask far too much of budget brake pads>>

Current Prep list since owning the car:

Service/Refresh items

6L Titan Oil

Oil Filter

Power steering fluid

Diff Fluid

Gearbox Fluid

Fuel filter

Spark plugs

Brakes

Each calliper stripped and rebuilt

Braided lines

EBC Orange Stuff pads

ATE Blue fluid

Brembo discs

Tyres and Chassis

Yoko AD08R Tyres 245/40/18 all round F&R

tyres mounted and full geo

Tein springs (7kg F / 6kg R) 20mm drop

Eibach wheel spacers 15mm F 25mm R

Interior

Low seat subframes

motordrive fixed bucket seats

harness bar

2x FIA aproved Harnesses

snap off bos and hub kit

Personal Suede 330mm steering wheel

Engine

Mishimoto air intake with heat shielding

Scorpion cat back

Exterior

Mines front lip

Autohaus Rear spoiler

Other

VDC Switch delete

Clutch Pedal Adjust

Future plans will definitely include a 4.36 Final Drive. I think that would genuinely transform the car.

Main thing is for me to use it! I have Anglesey booked Feb 12, back to Blyton to compare against my first visit Feb 18th and the annual Nurburging 2017 Trip coming up in April.

Look forward to seeing you guys at a track day soon.

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 1

Sooo 5 weekends of prep, a hefty chunk of finanicial outlay and a bit of stress chucked in but the car was ready just in time for Anglesey Track day…

The AD08Rs arrived just in time and the last few bits like steering wheel, lip etc all went on with no real issue>>

gallery_31032_1152_137246.jpg

gallery_31032_1152_9320.png

gallery_31032_1152_353239.jpg

32752357321_daecc467e4.jpg

32033680844_72ecc1f7a2.jpg

32495312470_fabe9a32a7.jpg

32834916976_d24533652e.jpg

So we set off on the Saturday and took the long way to Anglesey right through Snowdonia. Roads we often visit in the summer, although wet and cold in the winter, are so quiet and perfect for testing out how the upgrades I had chosen had changed the car. I was so impressed yet again with the AD08Rs and pleased I spent the extra money as they are so great even from cold in the wet!

Unfortunately we couldn’t get the drone out because of the snow but we got some mega chase footage. Feeling we had got what we needed we headed to the hotel a few miles from the track. Beers, food then an early night.

32494677100_7201229e4c.jpg

32061347703_20a7eb6cfa.jpg

32061496633_f998655490.jpg

The next morning we drive the few miles to the track and I am wondering why the car feels a little ‘different’. We go and sign on, briefing done, breakfast etc. Queuing up for sighting laps thinking yes! It’s been a hard push to get here today but feeling so happy! Then Rob comes running over…. Will you have a flat tyre mate!! Shhhiiiiit! Not the end of the world though just inconvenient. We remove the wheel and find the big screw in the tyre, after a few phone calls we convince a local garage (still 40mins drive away though) to open for an hour just to repair my puncture. We get there and sorry to say the inner tire walls had been disintegrated on the journey from hotel to track! This meant my brand new AD08R was ruined, the track day over and a long slow 50mph journey home on a space saver spare tyre.

32875801605_67826a6ce7.jpg

Was a bit gutted to say the least. Destroys your soul a little bit! Ahh well, I have ordered two more AD08Rs (now i will always have a spare), booked blyton this Saturday so let’s try again! This hobby can be a bit of a mother*cker, we just crack on.

Just had a message from Circuit Days and they have booked me on to the next Anglesey day free of charge! Mega appreciate that as they really didn't have to!

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 2

Love this kind of build as its similar to what I'm doing hah.

I've had soooo many screws in tyres, usually in the bloody side too :(

That's really amazing by circuit days to do that, very good to know that.

Everything is looking good, add an oil pan spacer and cooler (with a temp gauge) if you haven't already. These engines run hot and need more oil (imho), something I wish I'd done a while ago.

How are you finding the spacers?

I was looking at 15mm max on the front and maybe 15/20/25mm on the rear.

• Like 1

Ah thanks Rob! Been so impressed with the car. Just feels so special to me!

Yeah totally! Very shocked in all honesty as they could of easily said no. I have been using them regularly for years now so was hoping they would come through for me.

Brilliant! Thanks for the advice, I will have a look for a cooler. Never even knew they did an oil pan spacer, what a clever idea! Do people find it necessary to run larger alloy rads too?

Any other things to pick up on? Every day's a school day!

Spacers I have gone 15mm Front and 25mm rear. No rubbing or anything to report yet! Will let you know what i think handling wise after Blyton on Saturday :)

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 1

Yeah a couple of times :). And I agree!! It's like someone CAD designed the perfect race track and then made it happen in the most insane setting! Still yet to do Spa!

Driven Anglesey in my MK kit car, MK Stealth (radical style LMP car), s2000, many MX5s, Integra DC2 ummm i think that's about it.

Edited by WillisRR

Now I have a car worth taking it is high on the list! The MK is geared to low and the MX5... well.... it's an MX5 with 90hp :lol: .

10 day Ring trip looming and we always plan to bolt it on to the trip but it's already so expensive we find ourselves saying... 'maybe next year we will do Spa' every time :(

Never even knew they did an oil pan spacer, what a clever idea!

https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/350z/engine/oil-pans/124-350z-de-aam-competition-oil-pan-spacer-aam35m-ops.html

:thumbs:

You can get Mishimoto radiator/cooling fans if you feel the temps on that side rise a bit too much.

As well as a bigger power steering cooler.

I've no idea how much those parts are required (?).

• Like 1

Thanks Keyser, will do!! Luckily not too long to wait!

Ekona, currently looking at Spa days B) . Looks like the Mrs is getting feck all for Valentines Day tomorrow haha.

:lol:

:thumbs:

I want to do a Sap day well weekend, might not make it this year as we are still building the car but next year could be the one :)

• Like 1

Afternoon everyone,

Glad to report Blyton went well yesterday.

Was great to wake up late and stroll over for the afternoon. Got a good amount of seat time in and really felt the brakes bed in. So glad i pulled the VDC fuse before my second session. This gave the brakes much better feel and i enjoyed the day much more after doing this. Before i praised the 350z for it's body roll control but now the grip has been increased so much i do see the need for coilovers and better ARBs. Or at least increasing front camber. Even though i have put 245s on front and rear the car is still front weighted. I want it to feel more nutural so will get thinking. Engine temps stayed stable even though the transmission tunnel got mega hot. The oem lsd didn't lock quite as aggressively as i had hoped but i can see how good the car is going to be!! Fun chasing supercharged Fiesta race cars around and great noise from the V6. Video will be up soon.

32145757964_d42156312e_b.jpg

32948930196_810734bbd5_z.jpg

32948938066_c9f99c6b57_k.jpg

32948939766_b392fd5668_b.jpgIMG_9950 by Will O, on Flickr

32140620584_3331d0b2e4_k.jpg

32145752064_1780b6521d_h.jpg

32948943416_98665ad998_h.jpg

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 2

Cheers Rob,

Video build diary for the 350 will be uploaded along with the Anglesey vid shortly :). Will go into what i have done a bit more in that vid. What kind of how too's would you be interested in?

The brake pedal felt spongey and hard to really gauge what the pads/fluid was doing for the first session (First session was the Fiesta battle), i could feel the car braking for me and doing odd things and the pedal never stayed consistent. As soon as the VDC fuse was pulled it took away all of that. I was left with a much more solid pedal that wouldn't really change. This meant i could really start to get confidence and brake harder and later as the day went on :D .

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 1

Awesome stuff !

I'm not in a position yet to do this kind of thing regarding VDC but I saw some posts in the past, more so on the US forum about disabling this an putting a switch in. It's handy to know what the symptoms are so I can pay attention as time\experience moves on.

The only thing I do feel is that my ABS kicks in quite early even on the road, which I guess is down the CL RC5+ pads ?

In terms of videos, there are lots on the basics, like brakes\suspension etc and some on some more advanced stuff too but I think more the merrier.

But are you planning on a differential or anything a bit more 'involved' ?

Each time I want to shoot a vid, I'm usually left in the lurch and want to crack on with the job.

• Like 1

Ahh great Rob, i was shocked at the difference in pedal feel!

Yeah i would love to get a proper mechanical diff and final drive built in time.

Next on the list is coilovers, camber arms and ARBs, i will benchmark every time i do a mod at Blyton so we can keep a record on how these changes have effect.

So a quick look through the footage shows that we went faster with the new consumables. Lot's of traffic meant for very few clear laps during the day. Far from an optimised lap but all good fun>>

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 1

If you get coilovers you may find you dont need ARB's or camber arms, similarly the standard LSD isnt bad at all if its not too tired. Wheres the VDC fuse as well, I thought the only way to kill it was to unplug the ABS unit (this also removes ABS which is a good thing on track)

Didnt notice braided hoses but 350Z definitely benefits from them ......... and October is a good time to go to Spa ;)

• Like 1