Headlight restoration gone wrong!

celiabaker

When before I purchased my zed someone had tried restore my headlights with some sort of machine because they have circle polish marks scratched in all over them.... it looks really bad.

I was considering buying new lights but after looking around they are quite expensive, so I tried G3, plastix and some elbow grease and none of the scratches have gone.

What would people suggest? Maybe wet and dry? I'm not sure what grit? Or just bite the bullet and new headlights?

When before I purchased my zed someone had tried restore my headlights with some sort of machine because they have circle polish marks scratched in all over them.... it looks really bad.

I was considering buying new lights but after looking around they are quite expensive, so I tried G3, plastix and some elbow grease and none of the scratches have gone.

What would people suggest? Maybe wet and dry? I'm not sure what grit? Or just bite the bullet and new headlights?

Hi, there are many different companies that do headlight reiteration kits, the choice will be yours but these kits are easy enough to use and everything is included just follow the instructions, for £30 ish gotta be worth a go :thumbs:

Don't bother with a kit, you've already got the polish so just by wet & dry paper instead.

If the swirls are deep enough, you'll need to wet sand them out. How deep they are will depend on what grade you start with but you want to work your way down to at least 3000 grit before going back to polishing again. Your starting grade will probably be trial and error until you get to the scratches, but you don't want to go any courser than you need to, to get them out. Buy a variety of grades from Halfrauds, start with the lowest grade and work up until the scratches start to look better. You'll probably need to go to a detailing place for 3000 grit though, I doubt Halfrauds will do anything that fine.

Then you'll need to re-seal them otherwise they've suffer UV damage again in a very short time.

Definitely the outside of the lights someone's been abit of a idiot with a small polishing machine or something!

Will wet and dry it and see how it goes!

Will buy the few fine grades and see what I can do.

Thank you for the input and I will comment with photos of my outcome. :)