Just in time

Blocko

I've not had my zed long. I brought it with a full service history then as I was checking the oil I noticed wear on the belts. Swapped them out today

IMG_1872_zpsdagncnul.jpg

Looks like they should have been done years ago. It's worrying that I have a full book of stamps but the last garage didn't bother/notice the belts.

In my experience, a book of stamps is just that and nothing else, doesn't mean anything.

I've had company cars go in for full services, usually at main dealers, and come out with no work done at all, yet stamped!! :ohmy:

Maybe they think no-one is going to check a company vehicle....bloody disgrace!!

• Like 3

A full service history means nothing, and not because of dodgy traders and mechanics as mentioned, but because all it is, is a history of whats been done, not that it's been done correctly.

eg. a car could be 10 years old with 2 stamps in the book and they could advertise it as having a full service history, because all details of all services carried out are there, it's just not been serviced correctly.

Stamps do mean nothing to be honest. Round my neck of the woods everyone use to make there own stamps up or get a mate to stamp it. My 3 + years of z ownership had it serviced each year at infinity but never got stamped couldn't be bothered.

Bought my Z August 31st no service history, Decided before i put it on the road, Undersealed, Changed Headlights, HID bulbs/ballasts/Engine Oil/Engine Filter/Diff Oil/Gearbox Oil/Clutch/Flywheel/ Front NI Bumper/Rear Chargespeed Bumper/ Radiator/ Rubber Mounts/Recording Front Camera/Reverse Camera/Gear Knob/ etc... Most wasnt needed but i kinda like peace of mind and personal choice.

Too much store in "Full service History" with all the stamps..... I know of 2 unscrupulous persons.... and no definately not friends...... who have had their own "Dealer stamp" made up ..... Fortunately not Nissan, but its the way they ensure the cheap cars they buy in, go out with a full service history.

They know my feelings on the matter. Always worth doing your own thing for peace of mind, regardless if its needed or not, you at least then know its been done, ticked the box and its good for some time to come.

• Like 1

Too much store in "Full service History" with all the stamps..... I know of 2 unscrupulous persons.... and no definately not friends...... who have had their own "Dealer stamp" made up ..... Fortunately not Nissan, but its the way they ensure the cheap cars they buy in, go out with a full service history.

They know my feelings on the matter. Always worth doing your own thing for peace of mind, regardless if its needed or not, you at least then know its been done, ticked the box and its good for some time to come.

Exactly my sentiments buyin any car, since i bought the the car i keep a log and dates with Receipts when i bought the parts and when fitted...

I have had over 30 (if not more) Zedds at my house and probably half could do with a belt change, I do advise this to them, it's easy enough with the guides section to help :thumbs:

Yeah it was a doddle to do. Didn't take long and has added a lot of peace of mind.

Did mine myself and i'm no mechanic. Just having the confidence to have a go is all that's needed. This really does say something about "Full service history" I stopped paying for services on mine 12 months after i bought it and do most of it myself now on a friends ramp who happens to be a mechanic, not everyone is lucky enough to have this though and crawling under the car is a pain

• 3 weeks later...

Serviced my Z at the weekend (recently purchased) and it wasn't until I went to inspect my belts that I realised whoever owned the car previously, removed the air con belt completely... I'm a little ashamed I didn't notice when I bought the car, though it did prompt me to go over everything else with a fine tooth comb, rest of the car is present and correct! I think it's going to cost me about 16 quid for 2 new belts, happy with that.

I'm missing 1 stamp from the service book, I've written in the book myself for the P2 service I've just done, so the car is all caught up, I've no idea how any potential buyer in the far future will respond but I'll keep the receipts for everything with mileage written on, so at least they'll see I've used good quality components & fluids etc.

I just struggle to justify what it costs to go to a mechanic or main dealer for a service, having always maintained my own vehicles I was stunned when I found out what it costs, to see people pay £300+ for a service just blew my mind, I'm clearly in the wrong business!