Is it worth "upgrading" to the 370z

secretstar07979

I agree with Rocket, i was bothered about loosing 20hp on a 500bhp Rx7 due to getting rid of a screamer pipe and plumbing it back into the exhaust, you do (or can) get caught up in the "pub talk" figures, when i look back i reslise how stupid it was, its no dissimilar on here when it comes to remaps and the "extra" power, in reality it makes little to no difference but everyone wants to talk dyno figures but side by side there would be nothing in it,

• Like 2

I mention the Supra due to the power holding capability of the engine as standard. Other engines need forging etc. But really, there are better bases to start from if you want something to drive down the strip. In terms of peak power on the remap on the zed, its kind of irrelevant, as is peak power as a measurement in any case. If you are looking for remaps and the like its the area under the graph that makes all the difference to what you 'feel' as you never drive around with the car sat at 6000rpm constantly where the power is. Especially notable on turbo cars, get a nice big turbo that gives 500bhp peak but gives you naff all at revs under 4k rpm for instance.

Back on topic, personally I would not throw the extra money at the 370, its easy to upgrade interiors, there is extra power to be had but if you are a power fiend going from 280 to 320 or the like will probably be something of an anti-climax.

• Like 1

For me fast cars are great, we wouldn't of bought a V6 motor with woeful mpg and high tax if we didnt like a little bit of speed, looks and noise.

Chasing power is fine imo, aiming for that ten second pass in a away keeps one out of trouble and done in the right way is cheaper than regular drinking, smoking and gambling. bhp numbers should be for yourself not to impress anyone else. You wont know if it’ll make you happy until doing so, but if you have that itch with money to spare, an understanding partner, somewhere safe to keep it - id try and always say go for it.

I love cars always have but never ever wanted to pile £££ into it and if i did of course it would have to be a second or 3rd car. So i wouldn’t need to worry about it getting me to work in the morning if i blew a piston on track.

There’s always going to be cars with more power, there’s always going to be better drivers.

"But I regularly see 5-600bhp Evos turn up on track and down the straight you wonder which way they've gone until you get on the brakes and enter the corner to wonder if they have Miss Daisy in the passenger seat :D

Having driven a few Evos, they are extremely capable, but dull as dish water IMHO. If you want to appear a good driver when you're not, they're an amazing car for making you look like a hero :D "

When i worked for Ralliart the 4G63 in the Evo's could do 600BHP+ with forged internals... They was a great lump albeit a bit delicate at anything above 350bhp in standard trim..

They can be an absolute weapon in the correct hands,but are very nervous beyond 9/10ths... Many of the established works drivers just couldnt get on with them at all and found them too unpredictable..

Turbo Tommi and Gigi Galli had no such problems and use to absolutely drive the bejesus out of them everytime the door opened.

Proper men with huge spuds...

Edited by Alpinaman

If I had 14 grand for a car, it would indeed be something N54 powered (not N55). What an amazing engine that is, mine (e92 335xi) was nicked. :(

You can add horsepower at 10 quid each (i.e. a grand in bolt ons will net you another 100hp).

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

And its not all about that peak power output either, no way you can measure 'performance' based on a peak output bhp figure. Clearly the weight of the car makes a huge difference, my VX220 was a lowly 150bhp but weighing about 950kgs means it doesn't need to drag the extra half tonne around the Zed had to. Also higher peak performance figures often comes at the expense of low down power levels. Its quite likely a 600bhp Supra has less horsepower between 1000-3500 revs than a bog standard Zed for example.

I think the only way to really measure 'performance' is timed point to point runs taking in corners, braking and acceleration.

When I say outperform I guess I mean be a more exhilarating drive. Speed / acceleration is a factor in this along with handling and "fun factor". I'm aware I want something with more performance than what I'm currently getting with my standard 350z. You see bog standard low mileage 350's for sale at 8 or 9k. Makes the 13k this seller is asking reasonable in my opinion. But I really should be saving for a house deposit so.......heart over head!

Yeh, it's a tough one. My 335xi was like driving on a wave of silk being propelled by a tsunami, but it was 4wd, 400hp, safe as houses, heavy, had great big fat tyres on it and raped all-comers with its effortless grip and acceleration (0-62 4.7 secs), made a lot of Audis feel very small. BUT, as you say, the Z is a more exhilarating drive, its rwd for starters so it wants to play, it's less refined, more interior noise, more engine noise, more aggressive in every way. I love them both, but if you asked me to choose again, I'd take the Z and the change for a few mods rather than the 335, but that's not because its a better car, it most certainly ISN'T, hence my recommendation to others, but it fits better what I want out of a car (a bit of craziness).

Edited by Aashenfox

Yeh, it's a tough one.

Not really though, a 135 has the N54, is RWD, is lighter than a Zed, handles great with a few bolt ons and is a very nice place to be. And we have just come full circle :lol:

This was what I was getting at way back on page 2, an M3 ticks a hell of a lot of boxes, so does a Golf Gti, or a Focus RS, or an XFR, or ..........

I cant say Ive driven an FI Zed but I was getting wheelspin in 5th this morning, thats plenty craziness for me :lol:

• Like 1

Yeh, it's a tough one.

I cant say Ive driven an FI Zed but I was getting wheelspin in 5th this morning, thats plenty craziness for me :lol:

That's simply because you don't have MPSS on your car, as everyone knows all other tyres will kill you within a week of ownership ;)

• Like 1

Apart from the fact that they are actually MPSS :scare: :scare: :scare::lol:

Its not just here, every forum everywhere now recommends them, they are pretty awesome. Very tempted to stick some Cups on before track season this year as the only downside to the MPSS are they get a bit melty on a hot trackday, but as road tyres they are the don.

I also had MPSS all around, and never managed to spin the wheels (awd lest we forget), amazing car with those tyres, just could NOT upset it, but therein lies the rub, what fun is it to drive a car that never gets upset? Transformed the car, those tyres, no question about it, and it's not like it had crap on before, they were sportcontact5.

I deliberately put a budget tyre on the Zed (albeit a good one, Barum) as I'll be staying stock power for a long time and still want some arse out action (oo-er, no deliberate misunderstandings please). MPSS would have killed all my fun (or so I imagine).

Apart from the fact that they are actually MPSS :scare: :scare: :scare::lol:

Its not just here, every forum everywhere now recommends them, they are pretty awesome. Very tempted to stick some Cups on before track season this year as the only downside to the MPSS are they get a bit melty on a hot trackday, but as road tyres they are the don.

I know, was just jesting.

Have Vreds on my car, never spun the wheels, never lost it, guess I am not driving my car hard enough :lol:

The N54 is a great engine,and can go to big bhp.... But it can be brittle and land you with huge bills if and when it starts to go wrong..

The N55 was similar but cheaper to manufacture unit...

I had the N54 in a Z4 35is,was mapped to 400bhp and was a bit of a weapon really...It never span the wheels at 100mph+ though...

My Zed came with "Kenda Kaiser" tyres which I determined must have set the previous owner back about £200 for the whole lot. Even if it just rained yesterday, driving gently at 20mph in 3rd gear can spin the wheels if I'm not pointing straight forwards...

I am not sure I agree entirely, I was quite happy tracking the 350 as many members do, for what it is, I.e a nice comfy road car, it is very capable on track, but thats pretty much all I was using it for, so there were cars much better suited to the task.

I guess it comes back down to which boxes are the priority for being ticked, but if those boxes need ticking in equal measures, a charged 350 ticks them all and for 370z money or less i would much prefer the former or 135i.

Edited by Jetpilot