Do I have a warped Disk?

Olly350z

Hey Boys and Girls, Hope everyone has had a good Christmas so far!

I swear my Z is one of the most temperamental cars on the planet! As some will know I had issues last month with the Clutch slave cylinder which decided to give up, luckily saved by Chris @ Tarmac Sportz. I don't think the two are linked but it is odd how the two have coincided. Its possible its been caused by the car sitting for a nearly a month?

So basically I've had the car back on the road just over a week now, and everything seemed great. I took it for a run the day I got it back as the disks were looking a bit crusty on the surfaces but nothing a few normal braking stops would sort. But the last couple of days I've noticed what I can only assume is a warped disk. It happens at low speeds when the pedal is applied lightly, doesn't happen under harder braking from speed. You can easily hear a grinding "Donk" Donk" from inside the cabin and outside, and more importantly you can actually feel a "kickback" through the pedal. It feels like the pedal is fighting back. Braking isn't affected at all it just does not feel right for obvious reasons. The brakes themselves are MTEC drilled and grooved with HELL braided lines

Another thing to note is that at slow speeds (less than 10MPH, turning speed basically), I get an audible "Donk" Donk" which is rhythmic (gets quicker or slower) but ONLY when turning left... Id thought this was driveshaft click but its bloody loud for that

So to summarise

Happens at low speeds, with light pedal pressure. Hard braking is fine until you slow down

Easily hear and feel a "Donk" Donk" metally sound, and feel through the pedal

Brakes are newish, less than a year old and done less than 10K miles

Any ideas guys?

Edited by Olly350z

Probably, but might just be pad transfer.

Go and do a proper clean up procedure, and see what happens.

50 to 30 light pressure x5

70 to 30 med pressure x5

100 to 40 hard as you can but not triggering ABS x5

Leaving a good few miles of driving without touching the brakes in between.

Just an FYI guys, heavily dyslexic person here! Doh on the topic title. My bad, mybe ill tlk lyke dis yh

Thanks to those for the sensible replies. If anyone else has any other ideas id appreciate to hear them, just if the grammar teachers could pipe down.

Whats padd transference?

• Like 1

Just an FYI guys, heavily dyslexic person here! Doh on the topic title. My bad, mybe ill tlk lyke dis yh

Thanks to those for the sensible replies. If anyone else has any other ideas id appreciate to hear them, just if the grammar teachers could pipe down.

Whats padd transference?

So what did you mean to say ?

Pad transferance is when, after using the brakes heavilly for a period (say on a spirited drive), a little bit of the pad bonds to the disc. Usually caused by not coming off the brakes when coming to rest

HTH

Edited by ATTAK Z

Ive tried doing tbe braking procedures you mentioned tonight Ekona, doesnt seem to have made a difference. Although its pretty cold tonight so didnt go too mad.

Will pull them apart tomorrow armed with a wire wheel brush for the hubs and brake cleaner tomorrow. Sigh

You do need to go pretty tough on them, the idea is to generate some serious heat (especially the last set) and accelerate as quickly as you can to target speed.

Think I owe you a beer Ekona, took them all apart today and cleaned everything, sanded the padds slightly and cleaned the disks then took it for another heavy braking session as it was dry, really dod some harsh stops and it seems to have cured it! Touch wood

• Like 2