Watches

Flex

So for my 40th I'd like a nice watch, preferably something that will hold it's value around £1500.

Seen a few nice Rado's, I know a few of you are into your watches just wondered what you have and which models will appreciate over time.

In to watches so happy to help if poss!

Rado's are nice Swiss watches, made from the same composite from the nose cone of modern rockets (if that is your thing?).

Are you wanting to get a brand new watch, pre worn and reconditioned or brand new/un-worn? Personally I am a fan of buying brand new/un-worn watches, essentially a brand new watch which may be 3-6 months old but still with all of its tags, protective films etc.... they normally come with circa 10% of RRP. I would also recommend a couple of indy watch shops which are highly regarded: blowers and watch centre. They may have higher end than the value you're looking at but it's worth a look at least!

Edited by WINKJ
  • Like 1

I used to sell high end watches....

If i was you i would buy a pre owned/unworn watch...

Omega are always good to have money in and within budget...or an IWC spitfire if you stretched the budget a wee bit.

Rolex are always popular,but personally i think they are overpriced.

• Like 1

My Rado watches are great ... I have a Jubilee I bought in Lanzarote around 1995 - that's my everyday watch ... and a Jubilee which was a gift in 1983 in Saudi Arabia ... both are still in great condition and keep perfect time as you would expect

Mrs ATTAK Z has a Rado Jubilee which is ready for a refurb due to gasket deterioration ... again it still looks good

We also have a couple of Rado copies which work well and look the part but get left in the drawer

I like Rado ;) but I don't see any of them as an investment, just nice things to own

• Like 1

I've got one of these:

82d7a5c4080e23b2798dd19d8a0acb45.png

I think it cost me £20 from Argos. Had it ~16 years, still works perfectly. Spent a grand total of £0.00 on servicing it.

Never wear it anymore cos I just find watches get in the way, so it's just sat in a drawer, still telling the right time though. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Never wear it anymore cos I just find watches get in the way, so it's just sat in a drawer, still telling the right time though. :thumbs:

See I'm the same. Haven't worn my watch in years especially nowadays with the time available on my phone.

My watch is a Camel Trophy watch which is fairly collectable as they stopped making them over a decade ago. At £90 odd when I bought it (usually were £150rrp) I know it's not in the same league as "Rolex", "Tag" watches etc but it does the same thing and is the most expensive watch I've bought.

Flex there is a "Luxury watches" thread here in case you were interested: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/102225-luxury-watches/

• Like 2

The purpose of a watch is pretty much just to look nice these days (exceptions being sport watches etc). As you say, phones have the same functionality (time, stopwatch, calendar, alarms... they are even waterproof these days), so there is very little benefit to owning a watch other than for fashion.

I could see the point of it if you didn't want a phone or anything else in your pockets messing up the lines of your suit, but I bet everybody still has their phone with them.

I reckon you could sell watches that didn't even work as long as they looked nice... I'm not having a go, I can see the appeal, but honestly, do people who wear watches ever actually use them to tell the time?

If I did have a nice watch I'd spend the entire time forgetting to take it off and damaging it, or forgetting to put it back on. :lol: