Typical of a 370?

Dicky

Am I right in believing that the 370 ride is extremely hard with high levels of tyre noise or is my daughters car just typical.

My 350 seems so much nicer to drive and although there is tyre noise it seems a lot less than her 370

Dicky, yes I found my 370 slightly harder than my 350 and it was only slightly, although I soon adjusted to this and really do not notice it any more as it is just a much nicer place to be.

I think tyres make a big difference to ride, tramlining and noise. With MPSS seemingly addressing most issues.

Rob

• Like 1

Am I right in believing that the 370 ride is extremely hard with high levels of tyre noise or is my daughters car just typical.

My 350 seems so much nicer to drive and although there is tyre noise it seems a lot less than her 370

I can see what is going on here. Convince your daughter that your 350 is better so she will swap and you can upgrade to a 370 - tsk!!

• Like 2

Ride should be hard for a sports car, unless it's something more fancy these days with adjustable settings by the driver.

Can't say I recall it being any harder in the 370 than the 350's I had - maybe your 350 springs have 'softened' with age/mileage?

Yes, there is more tyre noise in the 370 as standard compared to the 350's, but then most who own one cancel that out with a louder exhaust :D given the standard is hardly befitting a sports car, unlike the OEMs on the 350's which were.

• Like 1

I can see what is going on here. Convince your daughter that your 350 is better so she will swap and you can upgrade to a 370 - tsk!!

Ha ha ha, your obviously an astute man :) problem is at my age my brain can think fast enough to cope with the speed :)

• Like 1

It's just my take on it having driven it a couple of times now. The road holding is definitely much better than my 350 but the main thing is my daughter absolutely loves it. Her actual words were "Dad I don't just love this car.....I LOOOOVE THIS CAR" ....and that's all that matters :)

• Like 2

Its certainly the harshest riding car I have ever owned but at the same time it feels so much flatter like its hugging the road, went out for an hour in the gfs punto and got back in the z and it felt like night and day. The road noise depends on the surface you're driving on but for the most part it can be quite loud, If its always loud then its fine.

Whole lot softer ride than the A45 - mind you it corners like a go kart on MPSS :teeth:

and...... you can boot it mid corner - wet or dry, unlike the 350/370, with no understeer (unless you really provoke it).

Downside is less driver involvement, apart from hanging on :lol:

• Like 2

I find the suspension is awesome for the car that it is..

I had a line of BMW Z4's...And the suspension was like concrete on them...

Road noise is very high,but im still on original Bridgestone RFT's.... Im gonna get them off soon.But the noise when i first bought it was alarming,coming from a Jag XKR i thought there was something wrong with the Z...

• Like 1

I find the suspension is awesome for the car that it is..

I had a line of BMW Z4's...And the suspension was like concrete on them...

Road noise is very high,but im still on original Bridgestone RFT's.... Im gonna get them off soon.But the noise when i first bought it was alarming,coming from a Jag XKR i thought there was something wrong with the Z...

Same feeling here with the tyre noise and also the hard ride which made me wonder if it had some suspension changes from standard. By the way my daughters car has Vredistien tyres fitted.

I like vredestein tyres, they are on of my favourites

Are you saying the 370 is still very noisy on them ?

I feel that anything must be an improvement over 4 yr old Bridgestone RFT's

Yep, pretty noisey in my opinion. However it does depend on the type of road surface your on. The chippings type seems to be the worst.

I like vredestein tyres, they are on of my favourites

Are you saying the 370 is still very noisy on them ?

I feel that anything must be an improvement over 4 yr old Bridgestone RFT's

The original tyres on my 370 were Bridgestone RE50a - did the job but not confidence inspiring in the wet.

I then changed to Vredestein Sessantas - very happy with them in the wet and dry and also more 'playful' - but the rear wheel wear rate was not so good (understandable :D ).

Finally after hearing all the good stuff about the Michelin MPSS, I got a set of those - bloody expensive at the time (£1100) but honestly it was like driving a different car in all conditions - the grip levels are so confident inspiring and compared to the previous two they were miles better, and also literally in terms of wear rate.

Noise levels. Well I accepted a long time ago that having a sports car was about the noise & performance (rather than having added insulation weight) and and like the vast majority of owners upgraded the exhaust. The alternative to disguise the tyre noise was is to turn the music up, but sad to say that when it was dry my 'music' came from having the windows open. More seriously, differing surfaces affect tyre noise at differently and as I have found with my current car, having recently changed from Continental 5s to MPSS, on a road I use regularly the tyre noise on some sections is more pronounced with one set and then better on another surface that the other set. :wacko: Goes away when I drop a gear or two :teeth:

• Like 1

I posted a couple of months ago about the road noise,however i am getting used to it,it doesn't help if you have a quiet daily driver.l find the suspension on my GT edition a good compromise between comfort and handling ,unlike the Supra,s I had which were rock hard but a lot of fun !!

Yep...

I know what you mean..

And it's just t my personal opinion of course but I do find the tyre noise far too intrusive in the cabin on the Z...

I have owned 911's, Z4M's... M3,M5's, Impreza's, skyline,300Zx...XKR's... the list goes on and on, but I have been driving years, but I have never heard a cabin so noisy...

I guess I'm sensitive to it as many don't seem to mind..

Ultimately it may lead me to selling the car if I can't get it too an acceptable level...

Edited by Alpinaman