question about the xbox one

zebedy

Playstation VR is what she wants. While I don't have one yet, I've had both prototypes of the Oculus Rift, the latest of which (DK2) is technically almost identical, as well as been playing with all kinds of 3d technologies for games, since the very first shutter glasses for CRT monitors came out about 25 years ago, and I can tell you that whatever you expect from the experience, no matter how awesome you expect it to be, your expectations will be utterly destroyed by the (virtual) reality of it. If you think it's gimmicky and will be shite, you're in for the shock of your life. NOBODY is prepared for the experience the first time. It's truly like stepping into another world.

See some reviews on youtube. VR is really about to change the world.

• Like 1

I have been working with VR over the last couple of years, seeing how applications can be used in retail research. Just dipping my toe but it really is sensational - I tested one where they make you walk across a beam high up in the air, then step off the platform on the other side to virtually plummet to your doom. I just about managed to do it (despite being in a room, walking around on the floor, not in a warehouse up on a platform like the VR would have you imagine) but it took every fibre of will to take that step off the edge, its amazing how your subconscious can step in when your senses feel you are in danger. I watched someone else do it and she fell over walking across the room because she genuinely believed she slipped off the beam and the guys running it had to catch her.

Its so hard to really describe how realistic VR is, its not the quality of the imagery, it is how it closes out the rest of the world and dominates a couple of your senses.

• Like 1

PSVR is a massive step down in quality, and tbh unless Sony can find a way to boost the gfx on it then it's going to die quickly. I've tried it, and Batman is fun for 10mins but the fly screen look isn't a good one. Might be okay for a basic run, but given it's giving out PS3-style gfx it's going to look awfully dated in a couple of years. Nice effort, but too early or too cheap.

I've yet to try Oculus or Vive.

I have been working with VR over the last couple of years, seeing how applications can be used in retail research. Just dipping my toe but it really is sensational - I tested one where they make you walk across a beam high up in the air, then step off the platform on the other side to virtually plummet to your doom. I just about managed to do it (despite being in a room, walking around on the floor, not in a warehouse up on a platform like the VR would have you imagine) but it took every fibre of will to take that step off the edge, its amazing how your subconscious can step in when your senses feel you are in danger. I watched someone else do it and she fell over walking across the room because she genuinely believed she slipped off the beam and the guys running it had to catch her.

Its so hard to really describe how realistic VR is, its not the quality of the imagery, it is how it closes out the rest of the world and dominates a couple of your senses.

Interesting! I'd love to try that. The old Hippy in me is imagining how crazy this would be on hallucinogens :lol:

PSVR is a massive step down in quality, and tbh unless Sony can find a way to boost the gfx on it then it's going to die quickly. I've tried it, and Batman is fun for 10mins but the fly screen look isn't a good one. Might be okay for a basic run, but given it's giving out PS3-style gfx it's going to look awfully dated in a couple of years. Nice effort, but too early or too cheap.

I've yet to try Oculus or Vive.

Retail editions of Vive and Oculus are orders of magnitude better than PSVR when coupled with a proper machine, that's the whole thing really, and the reason for the PSVR compromises. Compared to my PC the power of a ps4, even the pro, is an utter joke, and while some PSVR experiences are dodgy, because they stretch the limits of the hardware causing a less fluid experience, other experiences are smooth as silk and definitely worth the price of entry, because the immersion is fully there, if not quite the graphical fidelity.

Also, believe it or not, there's no way you can adjust the headset properly after just playing a demo in a store or something like that, you kind of learn how to fit the headset on yourself as you play more, the precise position of the optics in relation to your eyes, it took me a while (at least 40 hours) to learn to wear my Rift 'right' and I actually learned that my eyes aren't on a horizontal plane, and it makes quite a difference to the graphics quality when you do find your sweet spot consistently. Smoothness and graphics in general will also get better as the developers get better at programming for them. There's a technique they use which involves reducing resolution in the areas of your field of vision that are blurred anyway, this makes a big difference to the power requirements and as they perfect this technique, the experiences will get better. I'm very enthusiastic about it as I've been following the tech for a very long time. I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea, but as a present for someone, especially one who was not aware just how far this tech has come recently, it's a really sweet one, they'll be blown away.

Edited by Aashenfox

Yea sure, don't buy that £250 console you're thinking about, spend 3 times more on this other better thing that you don't want :lol:

Nah, more like, don't buy an already dated console, buy something state of the art instead, support a growing tech and be part of the coming revolution. ;)

VR is far from a revolution. It's fun, quirky, but years off mainstream.

I agree, I remember a friend in the 90's buying a VR headset (VR FX1 IIRC) which seemed impressive back then and as far as I can see the tech hasn't progressed at the same pace as other tech.

Had flash backs to diamond stealth graphics cards etc then.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I've been umming and ahhing over grabbing a Vive this weekend as it's £100 off, and even managed to grab a go in the flesh today at the IDH Xmas show. It's impressive, very impressive, but I can't help but think I want to wait for the 2nd gen of hardware before committing at the very least. There's also too much of a split between OR and Vive for my taste, which isn't good for the industry.

VR is almost as evolved as it's going to get, already. This is the end game for VR, getting intoliving rooms. This is because the actual goal isn't VR, it's AR, Augmented Reality, and the prototypes of these technologies will be here (they're already here) before we have time to perfect closed visor VR, it will be obsolete before too long. To see what AR is, see these amazing videos this is already a working technology being developed by microsoft, called Hololens, you can order a prototype for about $3000. Don't misunderstand for one second, PSVR isn't the future, it's a very interesting stepping stone though, I won't fault anybody for waiting to see where this ends up, because it's going to explode in a few years with some truly amazing stuff.

Check it out... you start to see why 'closed visor' VR is so yesterday already. ;) Check out some of the oither Hololens videos, they're all mind blowing.

Edited by Aashenfox

Don't bother...the one is already obsolete as described in an un guarded interview by the ceo of Microsoft, when asked to clarify he states that all they are is PC's in flash box's and you can build buy better yourself, as the technologies have merged all future games will be developed on the PC first then ported over and exclusives are finally on there way to the scrap heap.

Don't bother...the one is already obsolete as described in an un guarded interview by the ceo of Microsoft, when asked to clarify he states that all they are is PC's in flash box's and you can build buy better yourself, as the technologies have merged all future games will be developed on the PC first then ported over and exclusives are finally on there way to the scrap heap.

I kind of agree and it's sort of coming full circle however the reason I moved away from PC gaming is I wanted convenience. I was fed up of spending quite considerable money very regularly to keep my system able to play games at a reasonable quality.

Not just that but with age I don't have the time to be doing all of that at least with consoles it's closed for a number of years and it plays on a screen I also don't have to keep updating to get the latest panels to squeeze that little bit extra out of the game.

I guess what I'm saying is PC gamers (and home computers such as Amiga/Atari St etc) always did push game development but somewhat lacked the convenience and price point of consoles.

To the OP you got your answer in the first couple of replies :lol:

In short, don't buy a £300 console. Spend 2K and build a decent PC :)

Personally, I have a PS4 for 'pick up and play' stuff like GTA, Fifa(x) and a solid custom PC for the real gaming when I actually have more than 2 hours free time (rare) but as for the OP's question, yes there is some backwards compatibility on the Xbone and for your daughter im sure it will be more than good enough to fill the time between Homework/Going out/Work/Chores (delete as applicable)

Depending on what you/she plans on doing gaming wise then that should decide what you buy. Quick pick up and play PS4/Xbone, serious gaming and pretty much anything else then it's a PC you need. Horses for courses really.

• Like 1

In short, don't buy a £300 console. Spend 2K and build a decent PC :)

Personally, I have a PS4 for 'pick up and play' stuff like GTA, Fifa(x) and a solid custom PC for the real gaming when I actually have more than 2 hours free time (rare) but as for the OP's question, yes there is some backwards compatibility on the Xbone and for your daughter im sure it will be more than good enough to fill the time between Homework/Going out/Work/Chores (delete as applicable)

Depending on what you/she plans on doing gaming wise then that should decide what you buy. Quick pick up and play PS4/Xbone, serious gaming and pretty much anything else then it's a PC you need. Horses for courses really.

Taking VR out of the equation, couldn't agree more with this.