best site to buy tyres

Red_Nic

Phone around your local places and see what they can do , if you don't support your local tyre dealers there wont be anyone to fit your website purchased ones in the future .

I have a good relationship with mine, they cut me a break last year when I bought 4 MPSS meaning i got £100 of fuel from Michelin (Offer is on at the moment i believe) and they also fitted 4 new tpms sensors and re balanced a set of wheels for me recently , charged me £20, worth paying a little more for your tyres to support guys like this imo

^^ Isnt it just the usual buying power thing, camskill, tyreleader, oponeo etc are buying in such bulk they get better discount structure so can offer them cheaper?

A mate of mine runs a 2 van mobile fitting outfit, a couple of times I have checked a price with him from the web and he cant even get close.

I guess the average motorist isnt interest and just rocks up to have, 4 of whatever is on there guv, so sure these outfits will be around for a while.

^^ Isnt it just the usual buying power thing, camskill, tyreleader, oponeo etc are buying in such bulk they get better discount structure so can offer them cheaper?

A mate of mine runs a 2 van mobile fitting outfit, a couple of times I have checked a price with him from the web and he cant even get close.

I guess the average motorist isnt interest and just rocks up to have, 4 of whatever is on there guv, so sure these outfits will be around for a while.

Yes and the fact they dont have the overheads than the local places have, less staff, no workshop, no equipment to buy etc etc etc , however you still need them in the chain , the only people getting rich from selling tyres is the online places , people like Mike Welch

To be honest its the way the world moves forwards, great opportunity here for companies to just go mobile. One of the annoying things about having to get to a fitters premises is that you have a flat or damaged tyre, so either you have to spend ages sorting out swapping it over for the spare or get RAC/AA out to do it for you then get over to the premises, which is usually booked up for days. What if you leave the car outside your house and they come to you? I know it means a change in how industry works, but that has been happening since the dawn of time.

PS, that's not meant to sound harsh in any way, I just think that as a consumer you will always have people meet demand, if all the local fitter places went bust its not like some bright spark wouldnt step up and fill the void with a business idea, you will always have some way of fitting your tyres.

Yes and the fact they dont have the overheads than the local places have, less staff, no workshop, no equipment to buy etc etc etc , however you still need them in the chain , the only people getting rich from selling tyres is the online places , people like Mike Welch

Of course they have overheads, huge warehouse, many more staff, delivery equipment and don't forget postage and packaging.

Maybe it is because they buy in bulk, but that's not my problem. Why should I pay £250 to a local tyre fitter for a MPSS when I can get it online for £200 delivered and fire them a fiver to put it on?

• Like 1

Gonna chime in my 2p.

I don't give a damn who I buy it from, so long as its the same product, in good nick.

Oponeo/black circles etc are all fine, tyres are all around 6 months old but not driven on so who cares? I got a full set of MPSS for my 350z for like £560 fitted. Bargain!

On a side note, the Nismo is now £260 per rear tyre on blackcircles, and £210 from Oponeo! Pays to shop around clearly, as thats £100 saved just for the rears!

Edited by Mikevv

I'm kinda with Rich on this one. If it costs me £40 more for a set of tyres but I can keep a good relationship with the guys that actually fit them then that's worth it to me, for all those times I drop in with random wheels and need them fitted urgently :lol:

But yeah, when you start getting close to or into three figures, then I'm sorry but I'll go with the cheaper option every time.

A tenner per tyre is satisfactory IMO, but when it comes to performance tyres, most shops can't get near online prices. They stock cheap tyres to fire onto Tom, Dick and Harrys motor with a good markup, no interest in fitting 19" MPSS to sports cars with the risk of damaging expensive alloys etc.

Why should I pay £250 to a local tyre fitter for a MPSS when I can get it online for £200 delivered and fire them a fiver to put it on?

The problem I found is that all the local tyre fitting places around here no longer charge a fiver a wheel. If you havent bought the tyre from them they want £20 a wheel to fit, which personally I think is a bit excessive.

In general ive been amazed at the terrible attitude most of my local tyre fitting places have. Questioning why you want a certain brand of tyre, dismissing that make as being rubbish and trying heavily to push the "el cheapo brand" tyres they sell instead. Then sighing and tutting as if they just dont want the work etc.

Fortunately I found a friendly garage in the next town who will happily price match (or get very close) to the online prices and so ive used them for the last couple of sets of tyres ive had.

My 997 needs some new tyres soon (rears are on the limit) so I will have to go through the same hassle again shortly...

Edited by rabbitstew

Why should I pay £250 to a local tyre fitter for a MPSS when I can get it online for £200 delivered and fire them a fiver to put it on?

The problem I found is that all the local tyre fitting places around here no longer charge a fiver a wheel. If you havent bought the tyre from them they want £20 a wheel to fit, which personally I think is a bit excessive.

In general ive been amazed at the terrible attitude most of my local tyre fitting places have. Questioning why you want a certain brand of tyre, dismissing that make as being rubbish and trying heavily to push the "el cheapo brand" tyres they sell instead. Then sighing and tutting as if they just dont want the work etc.

The larger fee to fit loose tyres is down to online purchasing, some of this cost of taken up with the margin when the sell tyres , if they cant sell tyres then they lose that margin

Some tyre places can be funny , I guess I am fortunate around here as there are a couple of decent ones and healthy competition that keeps the prices down

I'm replacing the awful "Acellera" front tyres on my 370 (245 40 19) which were on the car when I bought it, why anybody would put a cheap budget tyre on a car like this is beyond me, they're £44.29+VAT!!... from Camskill.....They distort if you go over 85mph!

I have Hankook's on the rear and they are an excellent tyre, especially in the wet so I'm going to get a new pair for the front. Camskill appear to be the cheapest @ £116.35 including VAT.... out of Oponeo,Blackcircles,Tyresonthedrive,mytyres,tyreleader & Asda.

I have used tyres on the drive a few times now, they come to your home or place of work and fit the tyres of your choice, good prices & great service give them a try, tyresonthedrive.com I have been very happy with them every time I have used them.

Edited by Coffin dodger