What oil for FI Z?

TT350

Hi guys.

Anyone recommend a specific oil for a turbo Z? When I get mibe back on the road I'm going to pay particular attention to oil levels and quality.

Fuchs Titan Pro S 10W60.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

I always tend to not go too thick with oil, although some people do use bigger clearances (usually track or race motors), you also have to remember that things like oil pumps and there pressure relief valves have been designed and built to run the manufactures recommended oil grade,

Therefore you can run into problems as vastly thicker oil will not only apply more strain to oil pump gears, it can also mean that the PRV is always open, which is not a good thing, there is also the increased drag from pushing higher pressures due to oil thickness.

For me one or perhaps two grades above std on a highly stressed motor (IE turbocharged) is the limit.

Yes but bare in mind that with FI operational temperature of oil pushed on limit. More temperature less pressure. I have been recently tracking and temp was going above 130 degrees and i reckon even 140 but oil pressure was steady all the time. I doubt that with thinner oil you could have steady pressure on FI applications once temp starts going up. Prv valve is related to oil pressure. Difference between Fuchs 10W60 and standard oil in normal operation is minimal actually i haven't noticed any changes in oil pressure. But on track once you start pushing car and temps start going up thicker oil can hold up normal operating pressure

Edited by Snjur

Yes but bare in mind that with FI operational temperature of oil pushed on limit. More temperature less pressure. I have been recently tracking and temp was going above 130 degrees and i reckon even 140 but oil pressure was steady all the time. I doubt that with thinner oil you could have steady pressure on FI applications once temp starts going up. Prv valve is related to oil pressure. Difference between Fuchs 10W60 and standard oil in normal operation is minimal actually i haven't noticed any changes in oil pressure. But on track once you start pushing car and temps start going up thicker oil can hold up normal operating pressure

Pretty much all modern oils are quite capable of running 120-130c and beyond, most people going FI as in turbo, as this will push running temps up far more than SC, will fit an oil cooler anyway, the whole idea of having differing viscountcies is to provide the correct flow characteristics given the spec of the engine design.Not to mention oil pressure driven components like VVTI etc.

A W30 oil should be able to maintain its viscosity and therefore pressure, to its maximum recommended running temp, without the need to use a higher viscosity just to keep the pressure, which is why i was advocating not using too high a viscosity just to increase oil pressure, with the resulting downside of pump and PRV stress

i have seen oil pressure vary quite a bit when going from a W30 to W50, don't forget while at its highest temps it may well thin and produce minimal pressure difference, but at normal road driving even with a turbo it WILL make a difference.

The fundamental point to remember is that viscosity WILL affect pressure.

I haven't noticed any difference between 5w30 and 10w60. Only difference was on cold start up where oil pressure gauge was in peak. Already after 5 mins of low rpm driving and warm up it goes to its normal working pressure. 3 engines (vq35de builded engines with increased clearances) now running on Fuchs Titan 10w60 2 twin turbos and 1 single turbo without any issues or problems.

Edited by Snjur

I haven't noticed any difference between 5w30 and 10w60. Only difference was on cold start up where oil pressure gauge was in peak. Already after 5 mins of low rpm driving and warm up it goes to its normal working pressure. 3 engines (vq35de builded engines with increased ckearamces) now running on Fuch Titan 10w60 2 twin turbos and 1 single turbo without any issues or problems.

I think you have missed the point, the reason for the pressure being maintained at "normal" is down to the pressure relief valve venting the excess pressure back to the sump. which was my point.its the PRV job.

My point on 10w60 was on builded engines and bit more serious applications where clearances are increased, forged internals and so. Where you need to have top end oil

Edited by Snjur

• 4 weeks later...

I use mine as a daily driver and I'm using Mobil 1 0W-40. I remember coming across a thread on the US 350 forum and there was data collected on various types of oil samples and Mobil 0W-40 seemed to have decent results. I want to say the Castrol 0W-30 green bottle made in Germany yielded the best results. Additionally, this was for standard N/A engines. The Mobil 1 is fairly easy for me to get and priced decently as I'm over 230K miles now with a oil consuming engine so I need it regularly.