Waxoil vs used oil

Flex

Just been to garage and old boy so old school, said if I'd be ok with just good old used oil. I mean price wise I dont mind spending the extra. I dare say difference in the two might be negligible.

It's for the Shogun, keep the old girl going for a few years.

Just wondered if anyone wanted to chip in with an opinion?

pardon?

if you mean the garage has asked if they can replace your engine oil with used oil, then no. why on earth would you put old oil in it? how would fresh old oil be any different from the old oil that's currently in it?

I'm well confused.

He said old oil vs waxoil, so not running the car on it :lol:

My truck had an oil leak in the old engine, which coated the underside in oil very nicely and I can DEFINITELY see where was covered vs where wasn't. It does do the job, but I'd say waxoil would last longer and be kinder to the environment.

• Like 1

Us Land Rover owners used to swear by Waxoyl, but they seemed to have changed the formula over the years and it's just not as good.

Many of the real Landy (Series 1, 2 & 3) owners use a oil, paraffin and wax mix to coat their chassis.

You'd be far better off asking on a Landy or Shogun site rather than a Zed site though. Half of these muppets would get a full valet if if it so much as rained on their car :D

Edited by Juggalo
  • Like 4

It's very unusual, indeed totally unheard of for old Jaaaaaags to suffer from rust so difficult to advise. If I had a rust problem with a different car, I'd probably use Dinitrol or a 3m product. If you can't stretch to £30 then slap a load of old engine oil under there and then watch it drip all over your drive. What's left will then act as sticky fly paper for road muck.

:lol:

• Like 1

Pretty sure it's illegal to use used oil?

As juggalo says, a lot of info on Landy forums. I galvanised mine instead :D

Waxoil has gone fairly out of favour though, a lot of the Landy lot are recommending Dinitrol now, and you can get some decent applicators now including spray cans I believe.

A mate of mine swears by a waxoil/engine oil mix. Says it sprays better , gets in all the nooks and crannies etc...Won't last as long as the good stuff though.

However, as said much better stuff available now days if your willing to pay for it.

• Like 1

This stuff is quick and amazing, you just have to do a lot of masking first:

http://www.frost.co....4vqSRoCYKzw_wcB

Aye, is really good stuff that, looks good too.

I had a can of it explode in my face when I was a 19yr old apprentice. I removed the air hose from the can without depressurising it, I was completely black faced.

Service manager almost died of laughter.

Edited by Juggalo
  • Like 2

This stuff is quick and amazing, you just have to do a lot of masking first:

http://www.frost.co....4vqSRoCYKzw_wcB

Aye, is really good stuff that, looks good too.

I had a can of it explode in my face when I was a 19yr old apprentice. I removed the air hose from the can without depressurising it, I was completely black faced.

Service manager almost died of laughter.

similar to when people have "incidents" with the oil drainers :lol: