Droney whiney noise

Tomh94

Bearing? Mine (04 350) needs both rear wheel bearings at the moment and up above 60mph they get pretty droney (sounds like someone using a power tool in a closed room, or like amplified road noise with a rumbling component). I'd look at the vid to compare, but vimeo is blocked from the corporate network. I'll try on my phone in a minute and let you know if I have any other bright ideas. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

Cheers dude :') I did think wheel bearings but they're usually a low rumbly noise, this is more of a high pitch resonating noise.

And unfortunately no, just my friend was in the car :') else that might have explained it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sound's more like a gear box bearing than a wheel bearing. Wheel bearings are easy to check, just jack the car up and try and wiggle the wheelside from side to side, if it moves then there's your problem

Edited by Irn Bru

Sound's more like a gear box bearing than a wheel bearing. Wheel bearings are easy to check, just jack the car up and try and wiggle the wheelside from side to side, if it moves then there's your problem

That was my thinking also, I get a quieter whine at lower speeds when driving round as well so going to assume it's related.

Assuming something like a gearbox bearing isn't going to be cheap.

That was my thinking also, I get a quieter whine at lower speeds when driving round as well so going to assume it's related.

Assuming something like a gearbox bearing isn't going to be cheap.

Nowt cheap about gearbox work mate :mellow: :mad:

Every tingle,whine drone,whistle is heard in these cars... Next to no sound barriers anywhere.

The transmission is noisy as standard....

If its the gearbox bearings then it should do it at the same RPM in every gear...

Edited by Alpinaman

Right cheers guys, such a number of things I guess.

It only does it under load, not sure if you could hear it but in the video it was stopping and starting as I took my foot on and off the accelerator.

Starting to get a fainter version of the noise at lower speeds now. Not sure if it's new noises starting or my paranoia unearthing things that were already there.

• 1 month later...

Yes you can here it going on and off with the accelerator and finding it will be a pain. If you could get hold of a "Mechanics Engine Diagnostic Stethoscope" you could have a mate hold it in the gear lever area, then somewhere on the bulkhead and behind the seats to help locate it.

A rolling road would be useful to check around the engine bay area. I had thought to get the back of the car up onto axel stands, put the car in gear to drive the wheels then go around listening, but on reflection that would be a bit dangerous, best to pay for a rolling road diagnostic.

Good luck

Definitely doesn't do it at all when stationary ? Have we ruled out engine ?

Doesn't do it at all when stationary, only makes the noise at 90, and now 45 and 30. Very strange, only does it under load, when I let off it stops.

Sly from kaizer motors said it could be a misaligned clutch plate. So taking a long trip down to kent for his knowledge early next year.

• 4 weeks later...

Not yet unfortunately dude. They do have a noisey transmission as standard. However next year i'm going down to kaizer motors to get a diagnosis from sly. So will update this post then.