Value of a supercharged zed

Jords

Straight to the point...

I know this is a very broad question but all opinions are welcome. How much would an average mileage supercharged zed be worth? Based on a vortech v3 and maybe a 2004 de gt model. A roll in, roll out price for the kit fitted and tuned would be 7.5k on a near standard car. But how much would a charged zed be worth to sell a little further down the line.

This question has come about from me convincing myself that I should go for it and it would add some value if well looked after, making the initial cost worth it (spend 7.5k but increase value by maybe 3k for example). Then I recently saw a clean looking zed with average miles advertised at under 8k

Opinions please

So 8k for the average mileage clean 'looking' zed is a fair price?

My motor in the condition it's in, nismo kit wheels and so on I wouldn't let go for any less than 7k as is. Maybe I over value my motor, but that's me.

I'm very handy with my cars, so the idea of saving some cash is good. However I'm drawn more to the idea of h-dev supplying and fitting the lot to avoid errors on my part or the possibility of something failing and knowing whos the fault is (mine, theirs or the parts).

The question when I sold my sc zed was, is there a better car out there for you, before you pump 7k ish into it if you sold the zed then suddenly had 15k?

For me no there isn't a better car for that. When I was looking for a new car I had 3 in mind. But the other two had issues I wasn't willing to risk spending money on:

Porsche cayman - had to be the S, bore scoring issues are common and very expensive. Spend up to 15/16k on a good example.

Porsche 911 (late 996 or early 997) - same issue with ims bearing and bore scoring, both very expensive and common issues. Spend up to 25k as a guess on the right model.

Or the car I've always loved..

350z with a nismo kit - bulletproof engine, great all round car for me. Only big issue is rust which I was willing to tackle should I have to..

In short, it's a zed or nothing for me.

Edited by Jords
  • Like 1

In my mind, mods you do to your car are for you to enjoy doing. Very little gain in value to modded cars, at the end of the day it's only worth what the market dictates it's worth (obviously it's worth its weight in gold to the owner and modder) but spending loads of ££ modding will still, at point of sale lose you money, it's never going to make it an investment. Mod for enjoyments sake and forget about its resale value further down the years.

• Like 1

Not mine but found this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142144746098

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats similar to the one I saw. 06 plate supercharged for that, Likeley to be knocked down to near 8k. Seems a little cheap though? Even if people are put off of the high tax and the lad hasn't had it long.

it had been for sale before, well obviously he hasn't had it long but think it was up at 9.25k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my mind, mods you do to your car are for you to enjoy doing. Very little gain in value to modded cars, at the end of the day it's only worth what the market dictates it's worth (obviously it's worth its weight in gold to the owner and modder) but spending loads of ££ modding will still, at point of sale lose you money, it's never going to make it an investment. Mod for enjoyments sake and forget about its resale value further down the years.

Exactly this, like anything in the car world bought brand new the second its used it loses value - the second you drive a new car out the forecourt onto the road you are x% down. Same goes for mods on cars as well, you never recover the full value.

im having a headache myself with thinking if its worth selling my current z for a charged one or sell and buy an evo 8.

Evo's in general are great cars and good at what they do. The only thing I can say against them is that I think they are only a nice car when your driving it fast. The zed has so much more than an evo in lots of ways. The evo is a road legal rally car to me and will only be enjoyable when it's driven like that. I like to relax in the motor sometimes, have the engine roar other times.

Edited by Jords

I think its just a sweetener to know that the money I may spend is not completely lost in the long run. Just kinda takes the sting out of the initial cost to do it.

By the way, I would personally prefer to charge my own motor rather than buy one. With the exception of a zed that's well known on the forum you never know how well it's been looked after. I definitely wouldn't want one that's passed hands several times either.

Ive had mine done recently and came to the conclusion that for relatively hassle free motoring and considerably cheaper repair costs compared to similar cars (depending what happens :lol: ) I went for it and absolutely love it, not fussed if I lose money on it down the line you lose money on everything these days.

I did save a fair bit as I fitted a lot of bits myself so know where your coming from with the reliability aspect - I do find myself occasionally going - how tight did I tighten that nut and get out and go and check :lol:

Can honestly say for the money ive spent and time put in there is not much post 2000 imo that has the power, or uniqueness of a s/c zed to make me think it was a bad idea.

There are £40k cars that put out the same power as mine (maybe in a different way but still the same figure) so dont feel that hard done by

I guess doing a lot of the build yourself gives you more attachment to the car so my view might be a bit more bias towards it.

See if someone will take you in a spin in one close to you that will help you decide :teeth:

• Like 2

The nice thing about being involved in the build as others say is you know what you have done so your not oblivious to what's gone on under the bonnet

I'm not saying go diving in at the deep end but with a little help from someone with the knowledge of previously fitting a kit goes a long way

With winter coming the cars getting hidden away for a few months. With it out of sight I will have to decide if I want to go for it or not, either way I really need to do something with it.

I think the turbo route is not much more expensive is it not? And I don't know enough to say definitively but I would think a supercharger is less strain on the engine as the power is progressively delivered instead of one big lump of power on boost..

Edited by Jords

I absolutely LOVED my S/C'd Zed.

I sold it after 5 years only because I had the opportunity/cash to get something a bit special. When I was looking around at potential replacements there was nothing for less than £20k that I would rather have than my Zed. It had to be Aston/Maserati/GT-R territory or I would have rather just kept it.

If the time ever comes that I have to sell my GT-R and down grade for financial reasons or the like, I worry that all I will want is my Zed back :byebye:

....Or maybe a s/c'd 370...

Anyway, I appreciate your predicament. It seems you love your zed. If your like me and find all the German stuff totally uninspiring and the evo/scooby 4wd scene not your thing, than I don't think you'd regret Supercharging your zed.

Don't get me wrong, even at 450hp they are not the fastest thing around, but fast enough. They are a very well balanced, capable and rewarding drive that will see off a lot of other cars its age, still manage to be comfortable for a daily driver and still look good and sporty!

I know what I'd do. ;)

• Like 2