eBay is painful

Sarg

Bought a item a couple of days ago so I message the seller today because he hasn't marked it as sent.

He said he's not sending it because the money is pending in his PayPal, The item should Of came today But god knows now 😡

Anyone else had this?

You are covered for 180 days from the date that you pay for an item with paypal - if he doesn't send you your item you simply need to raise a dispute with paypal who will take the appropriate measures to inform the seller he or she needs to give you the item or provide a refund. After the seller responds - or if you're not satisfied to wait, you can elevate it to a claim where there's basically zero chance the seller can keep the item AND the money.

YOu are only covered by paypal protection if;

• You bought a physical item
  • You bought an item described as “new,†but received something that was used
  • You purchased 3 items, but only received 2
  • The item was damaged during shipping
  • The item is missing major parts (that the seller didn’t report)
  • You purchased an item described as authentic, but received a knockoff instead

You aren't covered if you've purchased

• Real estate
  • Motorized vehicles
  • Custom-made goods that aren’t received
  • Industrial machinery
  • Prepaid cards
  • Items that violate ebay policies
  • Anything bought in person (not over the internet)
  • Send Money transactions to friends or family
  • Disputes filed more than 180 days after the purchase for item not received and significantly not as described claims
  • Unauthorized transaction claims reported more than 60 days after the transaction date of the transaction
  • Items that were described accurately by the seller

By and large, most delays simply revolve around the banks release of funds - but none of the transactions I've had were delayed by more than 2 working days. I'd wait until after the weekend before making a claim. Regardless of what he does with the money or the account, Paypal guarantee you a prompt refund and basically take the debt on themselves & chase it accordingly.

• Like 1

I've been using eBay a lot this year. Although not the same issue as you, the issues I've faced are:

1. The seller marked an item as free postage. After I won the auction he contacted me saying it was a mistake and I needed to pay £10 for postage. He wasn't apologetic at all, so I complained saying it was his mistake and he had plenty of time to correct the listing (1 or 2 weeks, I can't remember) and that I think it's unreasonable to demand that I pay for postage after the listing's ended. He just reiterated that it was a mistake and I need to pay him £10 - again, no apologies.

I contacted eBay, who basically said the seller was in the wrong and I could cancel the order if I'd like. I didn't want to cancel the order so I had to cough up the extra £10.

It's mainly the fact he wasn't apologetic at all that annoyed me. :angry:

Also doesn't eBay say that if you bid then it's "legally binding" or something along those lines? If that's the case, then how are sellers allowed to do stuff like this? :wacko:

2. This is happening right now, but I bought an item (headlight) which said collection or buyer to arrange courier. I won the auction and contacted the seller to ask a suitable time for the courier to pick up. He replied saying that there'd be a £20 fee for materials and time to package the headlight, which I thought was a rip off.

I won the listing for £16, so I think he was just trying to recoup as much as he could (why they don't use a reserve price I have no idea).

Anyhow I paid this as well as it was a bargain and I didn't want to give the seller a reason to pull out. Contacting him since has been a bit troublesome, as he says that he's having issues receiving messages from eBay. I found his email address from the PayPal invoice and emailed him directly to get the address & day for pick up.

I sorted the courier (UPS) out and they were meant to pick up yesterday. Today, the tracking still says "Order Processed: Ready for UPS", which from what I understand means that they haven't picked up yet. I'm keeping an eye on it and will investigate if no updates by tomorrow. Not sure if it's UPS slacking or the guy "not being in" or whatever.

Other than those 2 issues, I've had a nice experience with eBay.

Thanks for the input guys I will give it to Monday then report back, I'm not very good with the ins and outs of eBay.

Just checked my PayPal money has gone and from my bank account.

He's got 100% and score of 200

Thanks for the input guys I will give it to Monday then report back, I'm not very good with the ins and outs of eBay.

Just checked my PayPal money has gone and from my bank account.

He's got 100% and score of 200

I'd just be patient & wait - if there's still no joy on Monday, post back up here & i'll PMyou a step-by-step guide on getting your cash back (or the item)

• Like 1

In both cases I'd have simply walked away and taken my business elsewhere, buddy - appreciate you got a bit of a bargain the 2nd time but nothing says "Eff You" like voting with your wallet.

Yeah I agree, the way they've conducted themselves is absolutely abysmal. :surrender:

Really wanted to parts though and it's mainly broken headlights I'm buying (interested in the HID projectors), so there wasn't an alternative unfortunately.

• Like 1

The problem with ebay or any other system which is available to use by any random arsehole, is that it is used by random arseholes. I was once properly screwed by a US soldier no less. This was back in a time, over ten years ago, when your right to dispute expired after 30 days. Being in Greece, things sometimes take more than 30 days to get here, so that was a problem on its own, but that wasn't the specific issue here, this soldier spun me a tale about his deployment and things being difficult, and he would send it but I needed to be patient. I was super patient and understanding. After 40 days he still hadn't sent the item, stopped answering any attempts at communication and disabled all his accounts. Ebay and paypal both told me I had no right to dispute after 30 days, period. That was $400 on a radio control car that I doubt the fker ever had, I also doubt he was a US soldier, though it would be an unusual and unnecessary lie, maybe he thought it gave him more credibility. Anyway, that's life, if you do enough ebay business, you are going to come across some really awful people, it's simply inevitable. As a seller it's a total nightmare, much worse than it is for buyers. The buyers can come up with any crap excuse why they want a refund and it's HEAVILY biased toward the buyer. If you sell on ebay, no matter if you're the offspring of a union between Mother Teresa and Ghandi, you're going to get negative feedback and lose some money sooner or later. This is partly why some sellers come across bitter and unhelpful, they're tired of people's crap and who can blame them.

Edited by Aashenfox

Which is why there is a rating system, generally you can gauge a company based on this - of course its not full proof but its much more reliable to buy from a company with 20,000 sales and 100% positive reviews than off some chap on gumtree.

Had this situation myself just recently with an item i sold.

For some reason (unknown to the buyer) Paypal decided to send his payment as an echeque which takes 5 days to clear so obviously didn't send the item until the funds had cleared.

Might be worth checking they haven't done the same to you.

For some reason (unknown to the buyer) Paypal decided to send his payment as an echeque which takes 5 days to clear so obviously didn't send the item until the funds had cleared.

Just checked it says paid by Visa card nothing about echeque, I will give it till Monday then go from there me being paranoid about spending £500 on eBay :lol:

Edited by Sarg

I recently sold some leather on eBay. The auction ended with a winning bidder and, by the end of that day, I'd heard nothing at all and received no payment so I sent him an invoice.

Three days later, still no contact so I sent him another invoice with a note attached asking him to pay so I could send the leather out to him.

Two days after that, he sends me a message saying he gets paid in three weeks' time so he'll pay then!!

No contact prior to bidding to ask if this was ok... he basically just told me that's what was happening. I replied saying I wasn't happy about it because he hadn't asked beforehand and he replied (again, a couple of days later) basically saying "Tough!"

So I relisted it but, without thinking properly, I didn't cancel his original transaction. Imagine my surprise when he made payment before the second aauction ended, meaning I had to end the second one and then send him the leather.

The worst bit is that, as a seller, I can't leave with negative feedback. I can leave him positive but with a negative message attached, but that's not really the same thing is it...?

It really winds me up that sellers have their hands tied so much on there... eBay's argument is that, without buyers, there'd be no eBay. But surely, common sense has to dictate that it would be the exact same scenario without sellers as well...?

• Like 1

Had this before where PayPal decide to withhold my money from an eBay sale until the item is received by the buyer, frustrated me as I was planning on using the money from the sale to pay for postage, but instead that had to come out of my own pocket!

It's the buyers fault.

You have a choice to pay by Debit/Credit card, or from your bank. If he chose bank, it goes as an echeque and takes 5 days.

It's a pain in the arse for the seller, but a good stall tactic for the seller if they haven't got the money in the bank yet (Payday)