Redex - Do or Don't.

Quinster

Simple as that.

Bought a bottle and thinking of using it.

The car was running slightly sluggish and idle (when hot) wasn't happening.

The EML came on but after getting the code (o2 sensor) someone suggested giving the car a bit of a kicking as I'd only been using it on short journeys for a few weeks.

That seemed to solve the problem as the EML went off and the car seems to be ok now.

Would it be sensible to use Redex in the tank?

Has anyone used it before?

I've never used it but thought it might be a good idea to try it.

Just looking for advice before i go for it.

Cheers.

Robert.

ps I usually run car on BP Ultimate (97 RON) if that makes any difference.

I just thought it might be a good idea at the time after the o2 sensor problem,thought it may help clean the engine a bit.

It's no big deal, it was only £3.

The reason I use 97 RON is because it's hard to get anything else locally.

The nearest Shell garage is about half an hour away.

The car runs fine (normally) on 97,

As i said if it's rubbish I'll not bother, it's only 3 bangers.

Your fuel might have spoiled if it's been left in the tank a a bit is all, you get stabilizer fluids to stick in petrol tanks while keeping cars in storage to stop it occurring - redex won't hurt IMO. Try that first and give the car a blast with fresh fuel, should notice a difference - if not, back to the drawing board.

• Like 1

recently put a bit of redex in an old track car, figured it has been ages since it had been serviced and for the sake of a fiver, why not try some redex in the fuel tank as well. to be honest cant say I noticed any difference, but then I wasn't expecting miracles for £5. I think giving it a decent thrashing on track was the best tune up, I suspect in the 40,000 miles it had done before I had the car it had never seen north of 3000rpm.

• Like 1

Redex...just don't.

I'm not a big fan of snake oil, least of all Redex. But if you absolutely have to, then buy Wynns. I know from experience that at least some of their products work. Like valve seal reconditioner and stop oil leak on previous cars.

Hm...

http://www.motoringa...cataclean-work/

http://www.asrcrevie...-fuel-additive/

Standards organisations say cataclean is snake oil too, beyond the fact that it's main benefit is designed for diesel engines...Plus, the testing evidence was submitted confidentially. Not illegal, but also pretty shady. It's like an athlete refusing a non-mandatory drug test, on it's own it's not an indication of guilt, but it certainly looks really bad...

I have not conducted any independent tests personally so cannot speak on the validity of the above content. Take it at face value and draw your own conclusions. It obviously did something for Holfy (unless Holfy, you hoofed it when you wouldn't normally have, in which case, you know what I'm goinna say, that the act of hoofing it is what cleared your problem, not so much the additive. Tell me I'm wrong by all means, I'm always a bit cynical about additives.)

Edited by Aashenfox

Its interesting reading the response from Cataclean, that they actually had no evidence on record apart from 'motorist claims' that their product worked and actually they were hoping to get use of a facility at some point to prove their product. You would have thought that proving the product works before putting the claims on is a start point, not a point that you consider if you are challenged on your claims. Highly suspicious :sly:

Redex does work its not snake oil but the detergents in it are largely found in fuels like V power anyhow

Back when I was racing dragbikes I would soak my valves in redex and it would help to dissolve the carbon build up and make them much easier to clean

• Like 1

I don't think its a case of if it works or not, more that there are some very dubious claims. Cataclean for instance claims 60% less soot on its marketing without actually having anything other than some customer comments to prove it - which is quite frankly, illegal.

I don't think its a case of if it works or not, more that there are some very dubious claims. Cataclean for instance claims 60% less soot on its marketing without actually having anything other than some customer comments to prove it - which is quite frankly common in the motor industry

edited for you

• Like 1

Redex does work its not snake oil but the detergents in it are largely found in fuels like V power anyhow

Back when I was racing dragbikes I would soak my valves in redex and it would help to dissolve the carbon build up and make them much easier to clean

I did the same on a Talbot Sunbeam engine I stripped down. It had absolutely zero effect on the piston crowns and valve heads. That's why I categorise it as snake oil.

Can't see the value on a well maintined modern engine that uses premium fuel and is regulraly driven. It won't cause any harm though so if you really want to know, just put a bottle in and see if there is any improvement.

Well I put in the cataclean in the fuel tank when it was 1/4 full. Didn't 'hoof' it at all, driving sensibly. Didn't really go over 4.5k revs over the first week. This was couple weeks ago, still hasn't come back on and car seems to be running fine so far....

• Like 1

Well I put in the cataclean in the fuel tank when it was 1/4 full. Didn't 'hoof' it at all, driving sensibly. Didn't really go over 4.5k revs over the first week. This was couple weeks ago, still hasn't come back on and car seems to be running fine so far....

Thanks for reporting, good to have the info on both sides.