Banzai - 350z Eibach article let down

coldel

Not sure if anyone has been following the Eibach 350z project in Banzai last few months?

The point being that Eibach reckoned they could upgrade a 350z to 370z beating levels for much less than buying a 370z

So they got a late spec 350z and started work. It was interesting reading, all the usual mods, Abbey made an appearance. Then in this month the final part, they tested the 350z but didnt put it up against a 370z on the track. Even the lap time test they referred to a different driver driving a 370z in different weather conditions on a different day and even though the lap times were about 7 seconds apart (350z slower) they felt confident having a race driver in their car would easily shave those 7 seconds off and declared it most likely to be a 370z beater.

I get its an advertising piece of editorial but the 'final test' i.e. is it a 370z just wasn't answered in any way. Huge disappointment!

• Like 2

I actually don't mind it - Its a good 1 hour read and nice to read something that is tangible (i.e. physical) and not something prin

I paid much less for a 350z with a Vortech V3, that would beat a 370, easily ;)

Yes they started off saying that it would cost so much more once they upgraded the brakes/suspension etc to deal with any FI (dubious claim but hey)

surely a 350 with decent tyres, brakes and suspension would be faster than a standard 370z around the majority of UK tracks? perhaps tracks with long straights a 370z might be able to pull out a second or two gap with the power advantage, but as soon as you brake or corner the better tyres and brakes will be far more important.

Their 'comparison' was one of the journo's driving the car around the track and comparing the time against a trained driver driving a 370z around the same track on a different day. The 370z was something like 7 seconds quicker on the track which laps around 1min 30secs. Not sure how that really is a comparison and can draw a conclusion from!

^^ but its just as easy to make the same modifications to 370z for probably the same cost, so where do you draw a conclusion? A car with better brakes, suspension etc is quicker than a car without, hardly ground breaking news :surrender: much the same as an fi'd zed would be quicker :surrender:

Edited by Jetpilot

Yes agreed, would have been nice to have seen whatever it was they were trying to build actually compared side by side on the same day with what they are trying to beat. Was ridiculous really to start comparing their track times in their 350z to times posted by random people off the internet! My suspicion is that they did the side by side test and the 370z still beat it so they didnt want to show it :lol:

After doing quite a few track days in both 350's, with changes along the way, eibach arb's, coilovers, brakes etc i would never say they made huge differences to overall lap times, but the feel of the car was improved massively. If your chasing lap times, its the wrong car imho

I saw a DE 350Z for £4300 the other day. Stick £600 of braided hoses, fluid and decent pads on it, £200 of exhaust and £400 on a remap, add £900 of coilovers and whatever a set of MPSS (R888 if its a track comparison) cost and youre there, they tyres alone would probably be worth 5 seconds on a 1m30 lap.

Thats got to be less than half the price of a 370Z, surely? Why start with an HR in the first place, the time gains will come a lot easier from chassis than power.

i too was a little disappointed with the final result. I also question banzai's knowledge on 350s. It says in their buyers' guide that the standard 350 came with 286 hp. No, no it didn't.

standard rev up did didnt it or have i got that mixed up ?

if that's what they meant, then i take it all back, but they don't mention the revup. Mine is a bog standard zed which i believe ( and anyone else in the know will tell you ) on paper it says 276hp. :shrug: Edited by Rock_Steady

i too was a little disappointed with the final result. I also question banzai's knowledge on 350s. It says in their buyers' guide that the standard 350 came with 286 hp. No, no it didn't.

standard rev up did didnt it or have i got that mixed up ?

if that's what they meant, then i take it all back, but they don't mention the revup. Mine is a bog standard zed which i believe ( and anyone else in the know will tell you ) on paper it says 276hp. :shrug:

dont get me wrong i do agree in the sense i think the googled it and took the first BHP figure that came up if it was this case