Police encounter :(

Kharmon

its definitely new tyres! when I had new fronts fitted, did 40 miles along the motorway to Dudley then when I got to a roundabout they still understeered like a pig. i'd give new tyres some 200 miles of normal driving before they're performing optimally.

Although strangely fitting brand new track tyres, put them on the car for the first time during lunchbreak at rockingham, and within one lap they were bedded in fine and returning lap times 3 seconds faster than we were doing in the morning sessions :S

In total agreement about breaking in new tyres, not a myth and not restricted to MPSS. I've lost traction with brand new Eagle F1's on a fwd car before so I'm always as ginger as Chris Evans when I'm breaking em in.

If you weren't expressly told that you need to be careful for the first 60 odd miles it might be worth appealing with a letter from your local garage who fitted them - the vast majority of people will assume new tyres will perform at thier peak straight off the bat so it's unlikely they can insist you knew.

• Like 1

you do on new tyres! they really are cack until they've been run in!

i'm sure half of the bad reviews on the internet saying 'I've just fitted xxx tyres and they're absolute s*#t, way less grip than my old budget xxx tyres' is because they've been giving it the beans right from the off without giving them a chance to run in.

• Like 1

Yeah i have the receipt for the tyres with the date although i think with out proof of milage it will still be to risky fighting the case. think i will just take the driving course and sit in a classroom for a few hours never know might learn something ..... Like to bed my tyres in haha.

Edited by Kharmon

Yeah i have the receipt for the tyres with the date although i think with out proof of milage it will still be to risky fighting the case. think i will just take the driving course and sit in a classroom for a few hours never know might learn something ..... Like to bed my tires in haha.

I totally agree. In my (much) younger days I went to court more times then I can remember to try and contest motoring offenses and every single time the magistrate just looks at you like something they have stepped in and takes the police officers word as the truth. They then 9 times out of 10 give you a much much harsher penalty then had you just accepted the original 3 points. Classic example being when the 100 year old senile magistrate tried to give me 10 points for doing 71 in a 60 on a deserted road in the middle of nowhere. It was only after much intervention from the Clerk that they reduced it to 5 points and a hefty fine. I wish id had just accepted the 3 points & £60 fine.

If you can do the driving awareness course do it. I did one last year. It was a hell of a long 4 hours with the teachers being very patronising towards you. They use all sorts of strange arguments and case examples to try and prove their point. Some people on my course tried to point out some inconsistencies with their arguments and got shot straight down as the teachers just dont accept anyone else might be correct. After 4 hours I walked away only having learnt 2 things. 1) Pigeons dont fly when its foggy (i kid you not) and 2) Dual carriageways can be more than 2 lanes each way. However, I could clearly see other people on the course did learn a lot of stuff which they didnt already know.

Yeah i have the receipt for the tyres with the date although i think with out proof of milage it will still be to risky fighting the case. think i will just take the driving course and sit in a classroom for a few hours never know might learn something ..... Like to bed my tires in haha.

Would it be an idea to write a letter stating that you don't want to go to court and appeal the ticket as you don't believe it's in anyone's interest, however you do believe that the ticket was unfair given the circumstances etc etc and ask if it can be reviewed? It's only a letter so worth a shot before admitting defeat.

• Like 1

The only way to get it overturned is to go to court, but don't do that unless you have an iron-clad defence as they will always be inclided to back up the police and you'll end up facing court costs as well as the original fine.

Whichever you cut it, their position will be that it's your car and you driving it and they saw you 'lose control of it', blah, blah... even if you prove you're an awesome driver and regained control instantly, they'll hit you with 'so how did it happen in the first place then, if you're so good'... In my opinion, don't even bother with the tyres stuff - it will get totally dismissed and countered with "so you're blaming michelin? how come everyone else with new tyres doesn't lose the back end...".

Even if they have no footage of fit - it's not as simple as your word against theirs - they have the evidence of you're conversation with the copper at the time about what happened which is sufficient proof that it did indeed happen. You'd probably need to prove there was oil on the road or something outside your control mate to even have a chance.

It sucks the big one, but for three points and £100, I would take the hit mate.

• Like 1

If you can do the driver improvement course just do it. Think it's around £80.

As others have said no use trying to fight it in court as you'll just end up worse off in the end even if you did win. Good luck. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I totally agree. In my (much) younger days I went to court more times then I can remember to try and contest motoring offenses and every single time the magistrate just looks at you like something they have stepped in and takes the police officers word as the truth. They then 9 times out of 10 give you a much much harsher penalty then had you just accepted the original 3 points. Classic example being when the 100 year old senile magistrate tried to give me 10 points for doing 71 in a 60 on a deserted road in the middle of nowhere. It was only after much intervention from the Clerk that they reduced it to 5 points and a hefty fine. I wish id had just accepted the 3 points & £60 fine.

If you can do the driving awareness course do it. I did one last year. It was a hell of a long 4 hours with the teachers being very patronising towards you. They use all sorts of strange arguments and case examples to try and prove their point. Some people on my course tried to point out some inconsistencies with their arguments and got shot straight down as the teachers just dont accept anyone else might be correct. After 4 hours I walked away only having learnt 2 things. 1) Pigeons dont fly when its foggy (i kid you not) and 2) Dual carriageways can be more than 2 lanes each way. However, I could clearly see other people on the course did learn a lot of stuff which they didnt already know.

See learnt something new already pigeons dont fly when its foggy 😂😂😂 looks like its the driving course for me .

• Like 1