Electric boom!

coldel

Well I've already been to the world's first Supercharger, and Teslas design studio in LA. Next trip to the US ill be getting a factor tour. Its also a virtual certainly I'll be ordering the Model 3 to go along side the X once it hits production :)

24070543563_1218356f9c_k_d.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

Not that its any use in real life, but 300 miles of real world range and 0-60 in 2.5seconds in a family saloon.

https://www.engadget...-model-x-and-s/

Saying that is rather like the £350m quoted by the Brexit camp, as in the real (right foot) world my bet is those buying a car capable of that 0-60 2.5 seconds time would perhaps be lucky to get half that range, albeit with a large in the process :D

.........until it was out of energy in the middle of nowhere near a supercharger :surrender:

I can imagine for getting A-B as eco friendly as possible EC are a good option, having been in a couple now I just find them soulless, sorry! Its like sitting in an arcade just without the great engine noises. Appreciate 0-60 in 2. whatever seconds but when its done silently I realise that its actually not the performance that is important, its the noise that comes with it.

• Like 1

I can imagine for getting A-B as eco friendly as possible EC are a good option, having been in a couple now I just find them soulless, sorry! Its like sitting in an arcade just without the great engine noises. Appreciate 0-60 in 2. whatever seconds but when its done silently I realise that its actually not the performance that is important, its the noise that comes with it.

I agree if you want absolute engagement nothing will be beat some thing like my old DC2 Teg, or an Elise, and as you say it's not actually about the speed. But for real life use and inparticular as a family car EVs are the future for us. Our Model X isn't even that quick (6 second to 60), but the massive amount of cargo space and unbeatable crash protection is much more important for our purposes (yes I'm joining the if my sporg is in a massive/heavy car they are safer club - Unlike other SUVs the X isn't any more likely to roll compared to a saloon). I really cannot wait for it to come now that the order is finally about to be confirmed.

At some point I still want a DC2 Teg as a fun sunny weekend car, but that's all it'll be, a hobby, a bit like horse riding is now. For the actual purpose of getting from A to B it's EVs all the way for us in future.

29188657796_e5f1d14077_b.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

Mate, I know you love these, but could not at least get it in an actual colour? That is as close to white goods in a car as I ever think will be possible :lol:

I wish it was as cheap as white goods, an unbelievable amount of cash to waste on any car!!! Makes a brand new M3 look cheap in comparison.

• Like 1

I'm more passionate about EVs these days than any combustion car I've owned befofe :).

Personally, I can only imagine what Bullit would have been like if it was filmed using Teslas

Electric cars are the death of real motoring, and the birth of utilitarianism eco-warriorism championed by cardigan wearing neck beards who hang out in Starbucks with their mac book pros.

• Like 1

Electric cars are the death of real motoring, and the birth of utilitarianism eco-warriorism championed by cardigan wearing neck beards who hang out in Starbucks with their mac book pros.

Anyone who buys a Tesla on green credentials nees their head checking. The amount of resources and energy consumed to produce something like a Model X must be mind boggling.

I certainly aren't buying one because they are 'green', show me a combustion engine that can deliver the same instant throttle response for the same type of economy and ill look again.

The combustion engine really is outdated tech in this day and age. Within a few years virtually all the major manufacturers will be shifting to EVs, like it or not.

Instant throttle response? Anything with a drive by wire throttle.

I think I know why I don't like EVs. They're like a worse diesel: So much grunt low down gives you no reason to thrape the nuts off it, which is what sporty driving is all about.

Anyone who buys a Tesla on green credentials nees their head checking. The amount of resources and energy consumed to produce something like a Model X must be mind boggling.

I certainly aren't buying one because they are 'green', show me a combustion engine that can deliver the same instant throttle response for the same type of economy and ill look again.

The combustion engine really is outdated tech in this day and age. Within a few years virtually all the major manufacturers will be shifting to EVs, like it or not.

I don't buy cars based on economy or 0-60. And one has to wonder why you're on a Zed forum even raising the subject of economy. You're like the only Windows guy on a Linux forum.

Lets be honest, the rise of the EV, as you call them, is the death knell of independent motoring.

They'll eventually perfect self driving, remove the steering wheel, and, looking further ahead, they may even legislate the real cars off the road in my lifetime. And it'll be done under the banner of environmentalism and road safety and eliminating illegal practices in cars; speeding, lane hogging, etc, etc.

Gone will be going out for a drive. You'll be going out to be driven. I can't think of anything more boring than being a passenger in, or owning a box with no user serviceable parts.

Keep your Hotpoint mate, I'll keep my V6.

• Like 3

Lets be honest, the rise of the EV, as you call them, is the death knell of independent motoring.

They'll eventually perfect self driving, remove the steering wheel, and, looking further ahead, they may even legislate the real cars off the road in my lifetime. And it'll be done under the banner of environmentalism and road safety and eliminating illegal practices in cars; speeding, lane hogging, etc, etc.

I agree with you, but autonomy is coming even without EVs. Nissan is putting the first generation of their propilot software into a Quashqai not the Leaf. BMW are pushing it in their 7 series not the i cars. I don't think legislation will force autonomy through, itll be the insurance companies. If autonomy enabled cars do end up crashing less the insurance premiums of all other cars will simply go up.

But having tired autopilot on a Tesla I have to say we are a long long way off that currently, and the Tesla autopilot tech is by far the most advanced. Its currently just a gimmick, about as useful as auto high beam headlights, and you have to be a fool to think its got any ability to 'drive' the car, as the much highlighted death of a guy letting autopilot 'drive' the car whilst watching a DVD shows. Which is why I haven't ordeted it on my car.

As for keeping your V6, no one is going to take anything away from you. But EVs are doing to the car market what smart phones did to the mobile world. Rember the days when the battery in a mobile would last a week without charging.... And now everyone is fine with the concept of charging your smartphone every night :).

Edited by gangzoom

I agree with you, but autonomy is coming even without EVs.

Not if people don't buy them. So don't buy one :)

Supply and demand.

Actually the opportunity is there, keep your car in great condition and whilst people buy EVs your old combustion engine will sky rocket in value, and it will be much more fun to drive than to sit in a silent aluminium box doing nothing.

• Like 1

*pats dirty great V8 car with a manual 'box*

What's Pat's car got to do with anything :lol:

A guy in work has the model s and does a 150 mile round trip each day. We were on a night out last week and I got to talk to him a little bit more and he was a proper petrol head however he was also advocating the virtues of EV tech.

His previous car was a 911 which up until the tesla he thought was the dogs danglies, he did tell me the flavour of the 911 but I was a little worse for wear to be fair.

So he gave me the demo of the remote features of the app like setting heaters etc on a cold day. He also showed me the front and rear cameras in the hotel car park and you know all I wanted to do??

See if the horn could be operated remotely when someone walked past it :lol:

To be fair the acceleration etc sounds amazing but I haven't been in it and I can imagine it feeling a little empty without the sound to go with the drama.

• Like 1

I agree with you, but autonomy is coming even without EVs.

Not if people don't buy them. So don't buy one :)

Supply and demand.

Am not, our car doesn't and will never have autopilot enabled. By mid next year all the Quashqais Nissan is selling by the truck load will have some form of autopilot software though!!!

...I guess the one challenge I would put out there is if you have to park on the street how do you charge at home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you imagine the joy in the morning when you find out some little scrote has unplugged it ;)