(Help needed) dropped a bolt :(

valy

somehow managed to drop a bolt on top of the lower plenum...see black arrow....now how do I get it from there as I have almost no space to reach it?... :surrender:

can it drop somewhere else from there?

14018147_1057012767667710_953694001_n_zpskrbrp5q6.jpg

^^ That without a doubt.

I have one I made from an old telescopic map pointer pen which I glued a small round magnet to but you could also make one using an old R/C car remote controller aerial with a small magnet super glued to that although they're cheap enough to buy obviously, ...I just like making things. :lol::D

• Like 1

It will either fall out the back and down on top of the gearbox after lots of driving or you may see it in the wee window at the front timing cover, otherwise it will be stuck against an injector until you fish it out, fortunately it's an aluminium block and plastic valve covers so easy to attach a magnet to the thing you want =) happy fishing.

I hope it's not a stainless bolt you've dropped if you're going to try fish it out with a magnet. 😊
Some stainless steels are magnetic still though but if not then there is also the other option of the "Silverline pick up tool" which Lexx suggested. ;)

It is commonly stated that “stainless steel is non-magneticâ€. This is not strictly true and the real situation is rather more complicated. The degree of magnetic response or magnetic permeability is derived from the microstructure of the steel. A totally non-magnetic material has a relative magnetic permeability of 1. Austenitic structures are totally non-magnetic and so a 100% austenitic stainless steel would have a permeability of 1. In practice this is not achieved. There is always a small amount of ferrite and/or martensite in the steel and so permeability values are always above 1. Typical values for standard austenitic stainless steels can be in the order of 1.05 – 1.1. See Composition effects on the magnetic permeability of austenitic stainless steels

It is possible for the magnetic permeability of austenitic steels to be changed during processing. For example, cold work and welding are liable to increase the amount of martensite and ferrite respectively in the steel. A familiar example is in a stainless steel sink where the flat drainer has little magnetic response whereas the pressed bowl has a higher response due to the formation of martensite particularly in the corners.

In practical terms, austenitic stainless steels are used for “non-magnetic†applications, for example magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). In these cases, it is often necessary to agree a maximum magnetic permeability between customer and supplier. It can be as low as 1.004.

Source: http://www.bssa.org.uk/faq.php?id=24

:thumbs:

I hope it's not a stainless bolt you've dropped if you're going to try fish it out with a magnet. ������

Some stainless steels are magnetic still though but if not then there is also the other option of the "Silverline pick up tool" which Lexx suggested. ;)

:thumbs:

I know some grades of stainless used in other applications are infact magnetic. But I'm sure the stainless used for bolts is non-magnetic. Or certainly the stainless bolts we use at work arn't magnetic. I've learnt that one the hard way when I've dropped them 😂

I know some grades of stainless used in other applications are infact magnetic. But I'm sure the stainless used for bolts is non-magnetic. Or certainly the stainless bolts we use at work arn't magnetic. I've learnt that one the hard way when I've dropped them 😂

It's a fair point. :thumbs: