Advice needed - Someone hit car - no note left (photos in comments)

Jblonde002

Just looking for some advice really. Came back from Vegas in May and someone has driven into the side of my car and left no note. Super news.

Took it to two body shops today and one quoted £2000 including a new body panel... and then when I said I couldn't afford that he said it would be £975 for three days work to pull it out (a more detailed quote has been sent). Waiting to hear back from the other tomorrow but not holding out hope, they had two Lamborghini's outside when I pulled up!!

Questions:

1. I haven't contacted my insurer yet - should I bother? Don't want to lose no claims, but by just calling them might I? Or do you lose it when you actually go through with the claim?

2. Does £1000 mark seem a reasonable quote?

3. Does anyone know any decent (cheap) bodyshop in Reading/Berkshire where I might be able to get this cheaper?

4. How much would the value of the car drop if I just sold it? (If less than the cost of fixing it I might be tempted...)

5. Does anyone know the person who hit my car so I can go round and give them an exceptionally tight hug - around the neck - with a garrotte?

Photos:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

been here, done that - share your pain - my exp (non Z) cost me £1200+

id pay up and take the pain - with noone to claim from its difficult - youll pay out one way or another

shop around and get cheapest quote imo

Sorry to see that J. :byebye:

That's pretty bad tbh and it couldn't be in a worse place imo. If it was at the front you could fix it fairly cheaply but the rear quarter is a PITA. :thumbdown:

If you contact your insurer you will no doubt pay more money in the long run then either just paying for the repair yourself or selling the car on at a loss. I mean you'll have to pay your voluntary excess as well as any mandatory excess the insurers charge. Plus even though it'll be a non fault claim it will still effect your insurance premiums in most cases.

Personally I'd just do as KUGT4 mentions above, ...shop around for the cheapest quote. Good luck.

Subject to removing the interior trim in the boot area and chcking for further damges, I could get this done for you for around £500-£600 mark including the materials. Dent will be pulled back with a porta puller. I'm located in Gloucester though buddy. :)

• Like 1

I've had 4 people drive into me overnight from Oct - Feb a right PITA! l took it to the body shop to get a quote on the font and by the time I dropped it off to get the work done someone had run into the rear!

You could look into a dash cam - I've got the blackvue with power magic pro. Only issue I have is that if I don't drive it the camera only lasts around 2 days before the battery cuts off. As I only drive maybe once a week I've only got a 30% chance of the camera being on when someone drives into me next.

How awful is it that we pay through the nose for insurance and then we don't use it because of the consequences further down the line. Insurance companies are laughing all the way to the bank. I hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1

Randy that's horrendous bad luck. Maybe I should count my blessings? See I'm now thinking dashcam route as well, but I have an 06 Roadster, so I am not sure where the rear cam would go?! You rate yours highly? Also, did you fit it?

No, I paid to have it fitted via blackvue, think it was an extra £100 quid on top.

Think one of their cameras has a front and rear view camera combined unit. I've got the one with 2 separate cameras.

The App used to control the camera is a bit of a pain but its regularly updated and the updates are actually pretty good.

My main gripe is that the camera can only record in 1 minute segments so trying to find the right clip can take ages. It does flag each clip with a time date stamp and also the reason it was recorded. I.e if its recorded because the camera sensed outside movement (i.e. someone walking past) or the car itself moving (i.e. an accident) it will be flagged differently and can recordings can now be filtered by the flags.

Also the WiFi signal is weak, It can't play a minute long clip on my phone without buffering at least twice.

Edited by Randy_Baton

Hey Veilside, whereabouts in Gloucester are you? Visiting my sister soon who lives there: not sure what the amount of hours/time needed for the work would be... Could possibly come with the wife's car as well...

Might be best to pm, in case he does not re-visit this page ;)

Nice offer by another member though :clap: and maybe you check the inside for damage and post pics to help with the repair quote .

As for bodyshops in the area - could try Pingewood Coachworks at Young's Industrial Estate, Aldermaston, or Spraytech, Basingstoke. I know of people who have been pleased with both of them.

If it's £2k for a proper job, I'd be tempted to do that and go through the insurance. It's what you pay them for afterall.

been here, done that - share your pain - my exp (non Z) cost me £1200+

id pay up and take the pain - with noone to claim from its difficult - youll pay out one way or another

shop around and get cheapest quote imo

I'd go with this advice - except I wouldn't get the cheapest quote but a quote from a shop that you trust.

All you will get with claiming through insurance for (relatively) minor damage like this is a lot of paper work and a guaranteed increase in premium :rant:

Edited by The Trouser

As for bodyshops in the area - could try Pingewood Coachworks at Young's Industrial Estate, Aldermaston, or Spraytech, Basingstoke. I know of people who have been pleased with both of them.

If it's £2k for a proper job, I'd be tempted to do that and go through the insurance. It's what you pay them for afterall.

personally view it more as a tax :)