Is Trump really going to win?

Banz

US election  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who is going to win the US election?

• Donald Trump
    • Hillary Clinton
    • I don't care.

Nope, read it again, the context of the statement was 'some' are not intelligent enough to genuinely think through some of the campaign promises that were made and come to a conclusion that they were highly unlikely and shouldn't be voting for him on the belief that they will be carried out in reality.

• Like 1

There is political correctness gone mad and then there is common bloody sense, some of the stuff he did and said is not political correctness gone mad. I don't gasp when he says 'blanket ban of muslims' because apparently its politically incorrect to label muslims like this, I gasp because of the utter stupidity of the assumption it will in some way solve something. Americans kill more Americans than any other nation on this earth, if we go with the stats he should start by deporting every American in America to make it safe once more.

• Like 1

In a way, it's a giant fightback against political correctness.

I think you've nailed it there Dan

Over 45 white voter mobilisation by Trump (and Farage) is what fired him over the winning line, below this age, he lost heavily. Trump could say what he wanted about Hispanics and Muslims, without it making a jot of difference, even in strong Latino states like Florida. Some of this voter group he engaged are marginalised because over their lifespan it's changed from them being able to speak as they please, without fear of censure, to having to show respect (or at least restraint) to other groups of people. The knock on is it causes some people to wilfully confuse redressing a long standing imbalance, with being oppressed.

The "PC Gone Mad" label is just a snappier title for "Bigots Can No Longer Say What They Want".

You might hear people saying things like, "you can't sing ba ba black sheep any more" or "you get locked up for saying you're English these days" but everyone knows that these are just inventions, not real. What they're really saying is, "I can't call a Mexican a beaneater anymore" and they don't like it.

When you can't go to fancy dress as cowboys and indians any more, I think that's crossing a line. There's pure racism, and then there's the current anti-white, anti-male, anti-working class movement that stems straight from the politics of the left.

You're right Stu, Trump knew who he had to aim for and he went guns blazing at them. Was he ever going to get the black or hispanic vote? Maybe, but not without losing more white male votes than he'd gain. Smart man.

Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again no doubt...

Come to Greece. At my kids birthday parties (and their friends), they will sing the Greek version of Happy Birthday when the cake comes out, naturally. Then, because we support learning about English-speaking culture very strongly, we invariably sing the English version too, and re-light the candles. Wait, there's more.....

At OVER 50% of the kids parties (once at one of ours, then of course I made sure it never happened again), they then sing the 'Chinese' Happy Birthday song. The Chinese Happy Birthday song goes like this...

*to the tune of UK Happy Birthday

Ching chi ching chang, ching-chong,

*repeat, etc, you get the idea.

The first time I heard it, I stood there open mouthed, my wife kicked me not to embarrass us by saying something to 'random other kid's parents along the lines of "did you really just allow that? Have you no clue how racist it is?". Sometimes now at their own parties, my kids suggest it "can we do the kineziko??", I always make an excuse why we can't sing the 'kineziko' (greek for something of chinese decent).

But wait...it doesn't end there, oh no... I've taken the opportunity on the sly to ask other parents their opinions about this. NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM SEES ANY PROBLEM WHATSOEVER.

One of them even said to me 'what's wrong with that, that's how they speak?'...obviously, I was mortified and pointed out that that is NOT how they speak, it's how you , with no experience of how they speak, mock the way they speak at children's parties. I Asked them if they realised the psychological effect of Greek children growing up thinking the Chinese culture (one of few more ancient than their own, something they are constantly referring to) is a joke! No Greek grows up respecting the Chinese. How did this happen? Greece is still 90% Greeks, they are not used to other cultures yet. AND STILL THEY COMPLAIN they are being overrun by immigrants (pakistanis, albanians, now syrians, but no chinese, hence the total ignorance of the culture)

So you might think...this is terrible! But how can I be one person in millions, and be right? Maybe I'm wrong? Maybe it's perfectly fine to say a spade is a spade (no pun intended)? These are 5 year old kids, they're singing a song cos they think it's funny. None of them is really making fun of the Chinese, at worst you could say it's insensitive. Am I overreacting to this? Does it really matter to do what is right, more than just not doing what is obviously wrong?

Anyway, we still have those freedoms to call a Mexican a bean eater, to say pakistani food smells funny, to say abanians are thieves, nobody in Greece except the most worldly would have any issue with these statements. But.... still the anarchistic vote is growing, our Neo Nazi party (Golden Dawn) is stronger than ever.

At least in Greece, it's not a knee jerk reaction to being told what to say, what to eat and what to do (we can still smoke in indoor restaurants for example, they tried banning it, didn't work, then they said screw it, with this crisis let's not add to people's problems and the rule evaporated as quickly as it came in). It's caused by the total failure of trust in the upper tier of capitalism and government.

As the population divide only grows between rich and poor, it should not surprise the rich, that suddenly they are not getting what they want anymore, as they are being roundly outvoted by the malcontents, who have every right to be so.

I could go on all day about too much choice, too much diversity, and at the end of the day too much FREEDOM. Anyone remember the saying 'give a man enough rope...'

Edited by Aashenfox

We had a conversation on here a couple of years back when I (at least, I think it was me) referred to a Chinese takeaway as 'having a chinky for dinner'. This offended one of our members (someone I also consider a friend) who has a Chinese wife, so I removed it. I've not used that term on here since, as I don't think it's necessary when I can use other terms and if it means not offending a mate, it's not exactly a hardship.

That said, in the comfort of my own home when discussing meal options on a Saturday night with the wife, I will use that word. I wouldn't call it to someone's face ever, and I'd like to think I have nothing against the Chinese in general as I was once engaged to a girl from there myself (but yes, that falls into the 'I can't be racist as I have a black mate!' argument of crapness, I know), however as a word to use to describe some grub then I'm comfortable with it. I also accept that others are not.

As for kids singing happy birthday in that sing-song faux-Chinese, even I find that a bit close to the edge. Maybe I'd laugh uncomfortably at it if I was there and heard it for the first time, but sat here in front of my PC it doesn't sit well with me.

It's caused by the total failure of trust in the upper tier of capitalism and government.

Is that why your economy is knackered as well? Freedom goes a bit far when it becomes socially acceptable not to pay income tax, for instance.

​Anyway, had another take on this last night, I couldnt figure out how everyone outside of the US was so negative about Trump when obviously that wasnt the case in the states.

Then I cracked it - we are applying our European beliefs and culture to American minds and they just dont think like us. They are much happier just to accept things like "The American Dream" and economic recovery without analysing how it is going to happen, for them the ideal and the positivity it creates is more important than the implementation. Which is actually a pretty fair argument.

Americans are a lot more likely to accept heroes than we are, and Trump is a working class hero - hes saying what they want to hear and promising what they want to see. They dont care about the rest of the world, they just want their country to be great again and if a famous billionaire says he can do it they are going to give him a chance

Our view of racist andf ridiculous comments are not the same as theirs - why cant they build a wall, why cant they stop Muslims from coming into the country, it is theirs after all? Why should they even care what we think?

• Like 1

We had a conversation on here a couple of years back when I (at least, I think it was me) referred to a Chinese takeaway as 'having a chinky for dinner'. This offended one of our members (someone I also consider a friend) who has a Chinese wife, so I removed it. I've not used that term on here since, as I don't think it's necessary when I can use other terms and if it means not offending a mate, it's not exactly a hardship.

That said, in the comfort of my own home when discussing meal options on a Saturday night with the wife, I will use that word. I wouldn't call it to someone's face ever, and I'd like to think I have nothing against the Chinese in general as I was once engaged to a girl from there myself (but yes, that falls into the 'I can't be racist as I have a black mate!' argument of crapness, I know), however as a word to use to describe some grub then I'm comfortable with it. I also accept that others are not.

As for kids singing happy birthday in that sing-song faux-Chinese, even I find that a bit close to the edge. Maybe I'd laugh uncomfortably at it if I was there and heard it for the first time, but sat here in front of my PC it doesn't sit well with me.

I'm half Chinese and I have to admit (and sorry to sound like one of the "I'm offended" crowd) but...that word offends me. This is a really tricky one for me to explain rationally and it's a frustrating conversation I've had several times. There are so many little jokes that people make towards Chinese people that are seen as inoffensive or even positive that people simply can't accept that what they're saying may be construed as racist i.e. Chinese women are placid and subservient, all of them are good at maths, making 'Kung Fu' noises when mentioning Chinese names etc. etc.

All of these things might not sound like they are particularly oppressive but they all combine to provide a very narrow and diminishing view of well over 1.3 billion individual human beings. The word 'chink' is just so often used towards people in a dismissive manner and while I'm 'lucky' that I've only ever had two minor incidents of racism leveled at me, the term just sits with all the other things to leave a sour taste. I won't even get started on the happy birthday thing, I'd never heard of that but when I read it just now I was absolutely raging.

It's just so common-place that people can't accept that anyone could possibly be offended by it, same as off-hand comments about ginger people or large spoilers being referred to as Big Gay Wings. It's very easy to dismiss things as banter or people as too easily offended but those views are so often held by people who have never been in a position where they are a 'minority' in some form.

Edited by nimz
  • Like 1

It's caused by the total failure of trust in the upper tier of capitalism and government.

Is that why your economy is knackered as well? Freedom goes a bit far when it becomes socially acceptable not to pay income tax, for instance.

​Anyway, had another take on this last night, I couldnt figure out how everyone outside of the US was so negative about Trump when obviously that wasnt the case in the states.

Then I cracked it - we are applying our European beliefs and culture to American minds and they just dont think like us. They are much happier just to accept things like "The American Dream" and economic recovery without analysing how it is going to happen, for them the ideal and the positivity it creates is more important than the implementation. Which is actually a pretty fair argument.

Americans are a lot more likely to accept heroes than we are, and Trump is a working class hero - hes saying what they want to hear and promising what they want to see. They dont care about the rest of the world, they just want their country to be great again and if a famous billionaire says he can do it they are going to give him a chance

Our view of racist andf ridiculous comments are not the same as theirs - why cant they build a wall, why cant they stop Muslims from coming into the country, it is theirs after all? Why should they even care what we think?

If you think the Greek crisis has anything to do with income tax-dodging, you're no better than the tabloids. We work more hours than the equivalent empoyees in the UK and get paid half as much, please don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail. If the Vritish people really knew what was going on in Greece, you'd be sticking your hands in your pockets for us, it's the people who are suffering and have NO responsibility for what caused all this. You cannot appreciate how frustrating it is to hear people say stuff like that. The man on the street pays his taxes, there's no way he can't. It's the capitalist elite that caused this and the people that are paying.

The Germans who are crying about our public spending, weren't crying when they were making deals with corrupt Greek politicians to replace military infrastructure that didn't need replacing so the crooks can put a few million euros in their pocket, nor did they complain when German contractors built us a spanky new airport, metro system, highway network, yes all those things are needed of course, but no auditing or accounting was performed, it's exactly like giving a child a ton of chocolate and saying don't eat too much. So YES, it's exactly what I said that has caused the problems here. Imagine what lack of trust exists that in one fell swoop, the Greeks rejected the equivalent of labour and conservative and voted what was basically a newly formed lib dem party with leftist tendencies.

As for the Americans doing what they want, yeh, that's fine as long as it's happening to someone else? What if they decided to kick out Brits for arbitrary reasons, would you still think it's ok for them to do what they wanted? What if your family had moved there 30 years ago, established a successful business, then were told to get lost?

Patriotism will destroy the human race. It is absolutely NOT fine for every country to 'do whatever they want'. I live for the day we pull as a planet, one leader, one money repository, no privacy, everything transparent, only then can we trust one another and only with trust can there be peace.

Edited by Aashenfox

I'm half Chinese and I have to admit (and sorry to sound like one of the "I'm offended" crowd) but...that word offends me. This is a really tricky one for me to explain rationally and it's a frustrating conversation I've had several times. There are so many little jokes that people make towards Chinese people that are seen as inoffensive or even positive that people simply can't accept that what they're saying may be construed as racist i.e. Chinese women are placid and subservient, all of them are good at maths, making 'Kung Fu' noises when mentioning Chinese names etc. etc.

All of these things might not sound like they are particularly oppressive but they all combine to provide a very narrow and diminishing view of well over 1.3 billion individual human beings. The word 'chink' is just so often used towards people in a dismissive manner and while I'm 'lucky' that I've only ever had two minor incidents of racism leveled at me, the term just sits with all the other things to leave a sour taste.

It's just so common-place that people can't accept that anyone could possibly be offended by it, same as off-hand comments about ginger people or large spoilers being referred to as Big Gay Wings. It's very easy to dismiss things as banter or people as too easily offended but those views are so often held by people who have never been in a position where they are a 'minority' in some form.

Sure, but there's a difference between choosing a minority (you don't make fun of scientologists? If not, you should) and being born into one. BGW = choice, your nationality = random and not your responsibility.

People are too easily offended though, hence me questioning if I should really care a lot about this stupid birthday thing to the point where I don't respect these people because of their ignorance.

Why does the word offend you? Can you actually say why or are you just programmed to 'be offended'? Don't get me wrong, as you see, I think it's this Chinese Happy Birthday thing is madness, but it's part of my thought process that people don't even know why they get offended any more, it's like we are obliged to get pi**ed off with someone when we have the opportunity.

Sure, but there's a difference between choosing a minority (you don't make fun of scientologists? If not, you should) and being born into one. BGW = choice, your nationality = random and not your responsibility.

People are too easily offended though, hence me questioning if I should really care a lot about this stupid birthday thing to the point where I don't respect these people because of their ignorance.

Why does the word offend you? Can you actually say why or are you just programmed to 'be offended'? Don't get me wrong, as you see, I think it's this Chinese Happy Birthday thing is madness, but it's part of my thought process that people don't even know why they get offended any more, it's like we are obliged to get pi**ed off with someone when we have the opportunity.

Firstly, BGW = choice? Being gay isn't a choice, you are or you aren't, same as being Ginger or German. Of course I make fun of scientologists, that's not at all the point I was making, that's no different to people ridiculing me for spending loads of money on an old Nissan. If you make a choice to indulge in something a bit out of the ordinary I don't think you have any right to be offended if someone makes a crack about it.

Secondly, the term itself of course isn't offensive, Ekona using it as term for food in private obviously makes very little difference to me, but it very often comes up as an insult to people. Maybe I am 'programmed' to be offended by it but that is only as a result of being insulted based on my nationality without provocation. As I said it's just another addition to a long list of 'minor' comments aimed towards Chinese people that serve to diminish and stereotype and that's just not something I'm comfortable with.

In regards to the parents of those kids, I fully reserve the right to hold a lack of respect for ignorant people but you can hardly blame them if they just don't know any better I guess. Having said that, it's Greece, not the Amazon, they have the internet.

Edited by nimz

sorry to bang on but you got me started now...

Do any of you realise that we are still under capital controls? I can only spend 1600 euro in cash per month, and only 1600 euro out to foreign economies (kind of problematic when you're fixing a car) per month.

Let's put the Greek crisis into pictures with numbers...

We are 9.5m people. (down half a mil the last 7 years as people who can afford to, the ones that can affect improvements, leave the sinking ship).

We owe 400bn euro.

Of those 9.5m, roughly 60% are ineligible to work (too young or too old), that leaves the 4m people who are of working age. 44% of those are currently unemployed with 0 prospects of finding work. So we're down to only 2m people sharing that 400bn burden.

That's nearly a quarter of a million euros per head in 8 years!

Tell me how the people can possibly be responsible for that! If we'd lived completely free of charge all of our lives, we still wouldn't have amounted that debt.

Finally...one of the largest national debts in the world supported by a population smaller than that of greater london (less than 10m). And the Germans want to screw us, the PEOPLE, harder.

My wife's family's net worth has gone from +20m euros, to almost nothing in 7 years. They are constructors. They own a large number of properties all over greece. Most of our current portfolio was constructed just prior to the Greek crisis (lest we forget, the ones who created it covered it up until it couldn't be covered up any more, the people had no warning whatsoever). Then the tax increases started and the lending stopped, so the housing market died overnight. Then they had the bright idea to charge taxes on all buildings, regardless whether they were occupied or not, so we are paying tax AS IF WE WERE TENANT OWNERS of every building we own. To say this is ridiculous doesn't even begin to say it. PwC posted an analysis recently of the Greek real estate market. Values have gone down 55% and taxes have increased SIXFOLD.

Then look at the tax that the Greeks do pay. In order to own a 3.5l car, I have to pay 1100GBP a year to get the equivalent of a tax disc. Bceause of health problems caused by stress related disorders, increased smoking and all the rest that goes with depression, my health insurance has increased by a factor of 10 in the last 8 years.

This is how we are forced to live and then people call us tax dodgers on top, talk about a kick in the nuts. Many Greeks are forced to tax dodge now, or they'd be utterly ruined overnight. It's completely unsustainable and only gets worse, not better. Everything in Greece, including the people, the natural resources, the cash, the ancient monuments, all of it together is no longer worth 400bn. Pain, pain and more pain. My wife's family are counting the days til the end, at which point, we will also be forced to leave the country, as we will be blacklisted for non payment of bank debts which we have paid many times over in interest alone. Makes me want to cry just sitting here and typing it. My wife and I, and her business, have paid our taxes in full, on time, always. Oh and by the way, the stuff we HAVE managed to rent? They charge 50% tax on.

Edited by Aashenfox

I didn't say anything about gay?? I said big gay WING. That's a choice. Agree with everything else you said. :)

Haha, sorry yes, that is. But my original comment wasn't about people being ridiculed for having a BGW, it was about the fact that the term is rooted in there being something wrong with having a massive spoiler and ergo, somethings wrong with being gay. I don't think that people are being homophobic by using the term but it's a bit borderline imho.

Edited by nimz

Snipped previous posts

Haha, sorry yes, that is. But my original comment wasn't about people being ridiculed for having a BGW, it was about the fact that the term is rooted in there being something wrong with having a massive spoiler and ergo, somethings wrong with being gay. I don't think that people are being homophobic by using the term but it's a bit borderline imho.

Yeh, I got my threads mixed up there, my bad. Wrong topic. Sowwwwy. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

I'm offended by quote pyramids :lol:

And you;re right, I'll fix mine. :)

Makes me facepalm when people quote entire 'how-tos with pictures in order to say just 'Thanks!'. The forum software should be able to detect and auto-ban for that, based on 'not enough IQ to operate a forum'. lol

Edited by Aashenfox

Don't worry about editing chaps, I was only teasing :)

The trouble is, where do we draw the line on offending people? It's precisely the need to ensure that absolutely no-one can ever be offended by anything that is (IMHO) partially the cause of the current political backlash. Whatever happened to stick and stones?

Don't get me wrong, I do realise that aggressive negative words used in conjunction with certain behaviours is clearly going to upset people, and rightfully so. I also get that, as a privileged white man, I have very little experience of anything that could be remotely upsetting in a racial or divisive way. I get that spitting the N word in a black man's face is utterly disgusting, like I get that the Ch word said in the same way to an Asian is horrendous. At the same time, I struggle to see why cowboys and Indians is offensive now, or why white women rapping on X Factor is appropriating black culture, or why only true Rastas can have dreads.

I'd like to think it's fairly common sense but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. In regards to cultural appropriation I think much of that is people getting offended on behalf of other people, that's where it really gets silly. It's like kids not being taught 'baa baa black sheep' anymore, I don't know of a single black person that would actually be offended by that nursery rhyme, it's hysterical white people jumping on the PC bandwagon.

I struggle to see why cowboys and Indians is offensive now, or why white women rapping on X Factor is appropriating black culture, or why only true Rastas can have dreads.

Wait, WHAT? This is all new to me, I've been away too long. I can think of 100 reasons why cowboys and indians is a little un-PC (not least of all because they were mistakenly called indians because the first ships thought they'd landed in east india, or because the cowboys wiped out the natives on a scale that made Hitler's persecution of jews look like a lover's tiff, and was only eclipsed by the decimation of the oldest cultures of Southern America by the Spanish) but cowboys and indians is what they are, it's what they are called in popular culture, as a definition, there is no connotation attached. Mercy me!

As for a white women rapping, somebody said that was racist? WTF? How racist is it that a white woman can't rap because that's an exclusively black art-form? Don't tell me they are saying that rap is aproduct of persectution and that's why we can't possibly 'get it'..? if so, that's reeeeeally weak. Rastas and dreads I knew about from years back, the dreadlock does have a religious connotation for them, and in a way it's understandable (Seikhs might similarly get upset if white people started randomly wearing turbans), but the way the Rastas choose to live (ahem), means they don't give a huge toss anyway. lol.

Edited by Aashenfox

Don't worry about editing chaps, I was only teasing :)

The trouble is, where do we draw the line on offending people? It's precisely the need to ensure that absolutely no-one can ever be offended by anything that is (IMHO) partially the cause of the current political backlash. Whatever happened to stick and stones?

Don't get me wrong, I do realise that aggressive negative words used in conjunction with certain behaviours is clearly going to upset people, and rightfully so. I also get that, as a privileged white man, I have very little experience of anything that could be remotely upsetting in a racial or divisive way. I get that spitting the N word in a black man's face is utterly disgusting, like I get that the Ch word said in the same way to an Asian is horrendous. At the same time, I struggle to see why cowboys and Indians is offensive now, or why white women rapping on X Factor is appropriating black culture, or why only true Rastas can have dreads.

but this is why what has happened in 2016 has happened.

There has been a bit of a backwards oppression, for the last 5-10 years the western world has clamped down on being offensive to a point people are scared to voice there opinions in fear of being branded something, Where is the freedom in that? and it seem we have come to a point in time that a large majority of people are fed up living in fear of speaking there mind and along came two scenarios in the first world which gave a big two fingers up to being PC and people took it.

Doesn't mean everyone who voted trump or voted out on britex is racist etc not at all. It shows people want the freedom to speak there mind.

I don't mean that makes it ok for the KKK to start hunting down people, but if Mr Jones a 80 year old male living in east London feels scared to go to the shops because a large amount of black youths live in his area and line the sides of the path like there out Harry Brown he should have the right to raise his concern without being branded a racist

Or if Mrs Stevens notice a large amount of her colleagues are now Eastern Europeans more than likely on less money, should she be allowed to express her concerns over job security without being branded a racist?

Now im sure someone on here will come along with a comment like but buy doing this makes it ok for real racists etc to come out and do their thing, which yes is unfortunate but senarios like the above just get bottled up in community which then cause unrest and the issue escalates and then hate crimes are committed from all sides, were as had it been ok to discuss and raise the issues in the first place the escalation wouldnt have happened,

Im not saying this is the sole reason for what has happened this year but i strongly feel its a reasonable part of it, people are being sick and tired of being told what they can and cant do or say.

• Like 1