Wax recommendations/opinions

bigfoot

I'm currently using Meguiars NXT Generation Tech car wax 2.0 on my Monterey Blue Zed,

I find the finish OK which does last quite a few months,

I'm no expert and I'm new to this bothering to keep my car shiney and my main aim is to get the deepest shine on my Zed,

What do you guys use or what wax would you recommend to give me that real deep shine on my colour Zed.

It's a personal thing, but tbh I've found that Dodo Juice Supernatural is right up there with the best. It certainly adds gloss, but more importantly it's also very easy to work with. Some waxes can be a PITA in some conditions, but I've always found DJSN to work brilliantly in all temps.

However, wax is just a protector. To get a proper deep shine you'll need polish, and that's a whole different ball game...

• Like 1

It's a personal thing, but tbh I've found that Dodo Juice Supernatural is right up there with the best. It certainly adds gloss, but more importantly it's also very easy to work with. Some waxes can be a PITA in some conditions, but I've always found DJSN to work brilliantly in all temps.

However, wax is just a protector. To get a proper deep shine you'll need polish, and that's a whole different ball game...

I use that stuff as well and works a treat on the zed, what polish would you recommend to go with it?

AutoGlym HD wax is great and is tested to give circa 6 months protection

Do you mean you've tested it to give 6 months protection bud or autoglum say it's 6 months protection?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

HD wax might last 6 months, but I've been using it on my Zed which is in daily use including motorways, and it needs a quick wash once a week just to get rid of the road grime,

so I can see out of the side windows.

Water will still bead off after a month, but at this point I feel it needs another coat of wax.

Last weekend was the first time I managed to do this while it was warm and sunny, and for some reason the shine came through better? :wacko:

Despite buying a polisher I haven't really used it, apart from small areas where mysterious scratches appear after parking at work etc.,

and I'm about as far from a detailer as you can get.

I have to admit my old Merc just got put through the car wash once a week! :scare:

I have no views or opinions on this topic at all... ;)

Decontaminating and polishing will get you a better shine. A deeper finish will be obtained with a oily glaze and wax combination but that compromises durability. Durability can be obtained with coatings (which **** all over sealants btw) but they tend to give glassy, glossy, clinical finishes rather than depth.

By far the cheapest, great wet look finish with depth will be obtained with by polishing and topping Poorboys Black Hole with Nattys Paste Wax. Nothing will give you a deeper finish.

Do you mean you've tested it to give 6 months protection bud or autoglum say it's 6 months protection?

Its been independently tested on Detailing World along with circa 20-25 other LSP and 3-4 lasted to 6 months

Its been independently tested on Detailing World along with circa 20-25 other LSP and 3-4 lasted to 6 months

Fair play. Interesting that such an average manufacturer is turning out such a good wax.

In fairness I never hear a bad thing about HD wax

Its very similar to Dodo Juice Hybrid wax in terms of its properties, i think it was one of the last new era waxes to show its hand so they probably just copied the crowd and went hybrid. tbf they have the resource in place to design and produce a very good wax, so why not.

For the average person the AG range ticks alot of box and is readily available on the high street too

• Like 1

I think the post at the top hit it on the head, personal thing. All the waxes above are reasonably priced if you spend ten gazillion pounds on one it will probably be markedly better. So my shout out is for the little known Victoria Concours Wax does a great job on my GT4 :teeth:

Anything wrong with adding another coat of HD wax after a month then?

Should I really be claying and polishing first?

Clay only to remove every last trace of protection you have, so yes do that before a polish. After that, just wash and top up the wax as required. :)

• Like 1

• "By far the cheapest, great wet look finish with depth will be obtained with by polishing and topping Poorboys Black Hole with Nattys Paste Wax. Nothing will give you a deeper finish."

What about a glaze for use on silver cars before the wax?

I'm sure if I have a go at polishing, it will not be perfect, and I will need all the help I can get.

Anything at Halfords suitable?

Can...not...resist....photo...moment....on....wax...topic...thread...

How even something like Megs compound machine polished and layers of supernatural can create shine on a black car ;) credit wasso.

Day2Side.jpg

• Like 1

• "By far the cheapest, great wet look finish with depth will be obtained with by polishing and topping Poorboys Black Hole with Nattys Paste Wax. Nothing will give you a deeper finish."

What about a glaze for use on silver cars before the wax?

I'm sure if I have a go at polishing, it will not be perfect, and I will need all the help I can get.

Anything at Halfords suitable?

Poorboys white diamond :thumbs:

As Davey said depth is tough on silver.

Silver for shine 130732f4c2c9765a476a1b8aa0b16b50.jpg

Black for depth

4f62eec07a0f95ecefc7047588655ba3.jpg

• Like 1