Airbag Light Flashing

davidv10

So randomly last week my airbag light started flashing and i cannot get rid of it.

I have checked over and unplugged/replugged in the wiring under the seats, and tried the 4x ignition trick i found online to reset the light.

None of these have worked so i wondered if anyone had any ideas before i have to take it to a garage..?

Ok, thanks. Not much more i can do really, the wires dont look kinked, have enough slack in them and plug in fine... Anything else you can think to do? I did change the seats to these leather ones, but they have been in like 3 months and been fine.

I've said this 1000 times...

Here's 1k+1

Make sure NOTHING is under the seat. Not a solitary empty tin of red bull.

Then do the airbag reset...which is;

Insert key, turn to pre ignition, wait until airbag light goes out then instantly turn the key completely towards you..

Repeat this 4 more times and you're reset. No sh1t under the seat and it should then stay off.

Edited by TT350
  • Like 3

I tried the 4x ignition trick again, making sure there was nothing under the seats (i keep my car spotless anyway) and moved the seats forward just in case.

Once i had done it it just changed the pattern of flashing.

It went from slowly consistent flashing before, to now a solid light for a sec, then quick flashing, then random speeds of flashing...

Any other ideas?

Think it may have to go in the garage.

It's also a symptom of the 'hairspring' in the steering wheel failing.

My car the optional JDM Momo Nissan steering wheel. Possibly to do with that? Havent had any issues with it in the 6 months ive had the car though.

• 1 month later...

Here's 1k+1

Insert key, turn to pre ignition, wait until airbag light goes out then instantly turn the key completely towards you..

Repeat this 4 more times and you're reset. No sh1t under the seat and it should then stay off.

Hi I had the same problem and just tried your remedy. hey presto!! no flashing light . Thanks a lot for that . Regards Ron :thumbs:

Here's 1k+1

Hi I had the same problem and just tried your remedy. hey presto!! no flashing light . Thanks a lot for that . Regards Ron :thumbs:

Why does this not work for me?! :yuck:

I tried the 4x ignition trick again, making sure there was nothing under the seats (i keep my car spotless anyway) and moved the seats forward just in case.

Once i had done it it just changed the pattern of flashing.

It went from slowly consistent flashing before, to now a solid light for a sec, then quick flashing, then random speeds of flashing...

Any other ideas?

Think it may have to go in the garage.

Different length of the flash is the code. So for example long is your tens and short ones is your ones. So for example 1 long and 3 short will be 13. Probably not exactly that, but basically flashing patterns give you codes. So either read them and then use google search to translate them or pop down to your local garage so they can plug in diagnostics and get the code which will point you in right direction. As it could be any airbag in the car (seats, steering wheel etc) and I believe seatbelt tensioners give out airbag light as well if they are faulty.

I have this same problem, so interested to know how you get on. I have plugged in to diagnostics and the error moves between the one in front of the passenger and the steering wheel. I have replaced the clock spring but no joy. I'd recommend getting a diagnostics done to see which area is giving the problem. Be careful if you're tempted to solder the wires under the seats as I have heard one story of airbags deploying when, or shortly after, doing this. Could be fatal!

Just to be on the safe side, disconnect the battery before checking plugs/wiring on the airbags.

Is there a speciifc order to how the terminals should be disconnected / reconnected? i.e. negative first, then pos, and when reconnecting - pos, then negative?

I just take them off in any order but be careful not to touch the positive on the body or anything metal on the car or it will short out. (Probably best take the negative off first)

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/07/2016 at 20:21, TT350 said:

Here's 1k+1

Just had this problem, saw your post and worked so far.  Thank you very much :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
33 minutes ago, Swich said:

Sadly, this hasn’t worked for us. Replaced the spiral cable and still have the problem and no horn or steering wheel controls. 

Did you replace the steering angle sensor/clockspring assembly as a whole with a genuine Nissan Part? Symptoms of it failing include the steering wheel controls as well as the horn. Any traction issues when turning the wheel? 

We can supply a replacement if you've not gone down this route yet, I suspect this is the cause of your issue. 

Feel free to drop me a PM if we can help, we'd need your VIN to confirm part number with Nissan as they vary.

Similar issue here (resolved through replacement clockspring): https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/110674-espvdctraction-control-fault/

Yes mate we fitted brand new from Nissan. We had previously used 2nd hand parts and the problem carried on so ordered from Nissan and problem is still here. We are going for the airbag next. It’s sad because it’s sitting on the drive and my son is going mental.