battery dead - clutch depressed - safe to jump start?

KUGT4

the clutch is depressed - it won't come back up and the battery is dead

jumping makes it lurch slightly forward when boosted - but won't start still

suspect the booster needs override switched on for extra grunt

ok, parked on hill (pointing downwards), reverse gear selected and engaged, clutch pedal fully depressed (wont' come backup up)

currently unable to start car due to battery flat (separate issue)

BUT clutch won't release the currently reverse gear selection as it's already depressed

it must be somehow related to the battery issue

I'm not 100% sure I've understood what you're saying. But if you think there's a problem with the clutch, why not take it out of gear before trying to start it? If it's on a hill and your worried the handbrake won't hold it, just chock something in front of one of the wheels.

You should be able to start it in neutral at least without it lurching about.

ok, parked on hill (pointing downwards), reverse gear selected and engaged, clutch pedal fully depressed (wont' come backup up)

currently unable to start car due to battery flat (separate issue)

BUT clutch won't release the currently reverse gear selection as it's already depressed

it must be somehow related to the battery issue

Can you explain just why you think its battery related, as you have been told repeatedly, the clutch has no physical connection to any electronics bar the start switch, which is a safety lock out to prevent the car being started in gear and jumping forward.

The clutch is purely operated via hydraulics, so it sound like you have ether a faulty master cylinder at the pedal, or a faulty slave cylinder at the clutch, or the operating arm is broken, or the clutch disengagement bearing has collapsed, it is not i repeat not an electrical issue.

only other occasion when the clutch pedal hasn't returned is when the clutch fluid boiled

there has been no problems with gear/clutch and serviced 2 weeks ago

problem only occurred today when parked on hill as usual (reverse selected and powered down) - at which point clutch was up

the clutch appears to have dropped whilst parked and within about an hour of parking

obviously since unable to start car at moment due to flat battery - assumed they were related

I think he's saying he can't get it out of gear as the clutch pedal is fully down and won't come back up, but the clutch itself is still fully engaged.

But without the engine running he should still be able to knock it out of gear whether or not the clutch is up, down or anywhere in between.

You have two separate issues:

Battery/Starter issue

Clutch/gearbox issue.

There is a spring on the clutch pedal box which helps return the pedal to the up position.

To get the pedal back up simply lift the pedal with your hand or foot.

However you will still have to address the clutch and starting issues.

Have you checked the clutch fluid ?

Have you tried applying a bit more pressure to the gear stick to get it out of gear ?

If you get it out of gear and with a fully charged battery, press the clutch down and it should start, however you will not be able to select gears until you fix the clutch hydraulic issue, which will probably be the slave cyl.

• Like 2

You have two separate issues:

Battery/Starter issue

Clutch/gearbox issue.

There is a spring on the clutch pedal box which helps return the pedal to the up position.

To get the pedal back up simply lift the pedal with your hand or foot.

However you will still have to address the clutch and starting issues.

Have you checked the clutch fluid ?

Have you tried applying a bit more pressure to the gear stick to get it out of gear ?

If you get it out of gear and with a fully charged battery, press the clutch down and it should start, however you will not be able to select gears until you fix the clutch hydraulic issue, which will probably be the slave cyl.

cheers zmanalex

the clutch is now working again ie there is resistance, it springs back - as recommended, i physically lifted the clutch pedal and it locked into the up position (although still offering no resistance at this point) - left it a while and the resistance came back - i can now select the gears when depressing the clutch (while the engine is off)

the battery is still flat and awaiting a booster with a bit more grunt to get me down to the garage where a new OEM battery awaits

BTW whats the recommended minimum amp required to jump start?

Edited by KUGT4

I carry one of these in the glove box £85

SP400s.jpg

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/93077-super-powerpack-palm-size-jump-pack-that-start-v8/

Jump started my car fine at the weekend. I top it back up to 100% every 3 months but it only drops to 90% during that time and apparently will still work at 60%. You can also use it to charge smart phones etc. when away from the car.

good luck with that - bought 3 boosters ranging from 400A to a supposed 1000A - all crap - wouldn't crank the Z

only thing that would crank a totally dead Z was the 'power start 700' (PS-700)

Edited by KUGT4