Wheel nut woes - any recommendations?

cob1980

I recently bought a new set of wheel nuts off ebay and quickly learnt there is such thing as cheap wheel nuts (which promptly got sent back).

I can't seem to find the ideal type for my gloss anthracite wheels.

Must be:

- Branded

- 50mm length at least

- Black or maybe like a shadow chrome

- Steel (unless I can be convinced otherwise)

Nismo wheel nuts fit the above spec but...

Preferably want:

- Locking nut option (not just 7 sided)

- Internally driven with 'key' so to reduce wheel damage

Prepared to have deep pockets, gulp.

Cheers.

You must be a busy chap replying to everyone's posts (or not busy :lol: ).

Yep I did at least look at those 3 websites, but no harm in asking them individually I guess. Can I tag them to this thread :p

Locking wheel nuts are a complete waste of time.

Anyone who wants to thieve your wheels will not be deterred by a locking wheel nut. They can be removed just as quickly and easily (without the key) as any other wheel nut.

• Like 1

Yep I did at least look at those 3 websites, but no harm in asking them individually I guess. Can I tag them to this thread :p

You could always PM them all with a link to this thread. ;)

I'm always busy.

Just having a week off work now though so I can put more time in on here, ...it's either this or DIY and I'm so sick of painting at the moment. :surrender::lol:

• Like 1

I have the below which are great. Its madness to buy cheap wheel nuts unless you don't value your own life.

http://www.ebay.co.u...type=pla&crdt=0

Thanks, a contender! Yeah a nut was pretty much a nut before I bought those off fleabay but it was apparent when I was fitting them how bad the quality was. And at over £1 a nut I didn't think I was buying something so bad.

Locking wheel nuts are a complete waste of time.

Anyone who wants to thieve your wheels will not be deterred by a locking wheel nut. They can be removed just as quickly and easily (without the key) as any other wheel nut.

+1 on locking wheel nuts. Spawn of Satan, and cause more problems than they solve.

Only once had a problem with them, and hammered on a socket to force them off! So yeah fair comment, that's why I put as optional.

You could always PM them all with a link to this thread. ;)

I'm always busy.

Just having a week off work now though so I can put more time in on here, ...it's either this or DIY and I'm so sick of painting at the moment. :surrender::lol:

Will do. Haha, know the feeling after almost completely renovating the house. This year it's the garden.... joy! That and having a 2 year old leaves me with a minuscule amount of time on the 350!

You have PM - I may be able to assist!

David

Whoops - peabrain here thought he had a set of black nuts - turns out they are steel/chrome!

;)

• 3 weeks later...

Have always used internal drive steel nuts, only had problems once and that was when a garage gunned them on and caused some cracks - generally have found that paying £30+ for something steel won't have your wheels flying off the car if torqued up correctly.

Cheers!

Have always used internal drive steel nuts, only had problems once and that was when a garage gunned them on and caused some cracks - generally have found that paying £30+ for something steel won't have your wheels flying off the car if torqued up correctly.

What brand are they? Where from? Yer I paid over £30... but looking like they may not have been genuine...

I find wheel nuts a lose lose situation on ally or steel. Ally have a reputation for coming loose or binding to the stud with them being soft and 'orrible. But they keep their colour better with them being anodised rather than painted. On the other hand steel are safer but are just powder coated so the paint just wears away if you take your wheels off more than once or twice. I came up with an idea to put heat shrink over them to use as a cover, which worked for the most part but didn't look 100% IMO. So then I just put shotgun cartridges over my wheels nuts which looked cool but even they rusted eventually! Like you say internal drive are the way to go I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find wheel nuts a lose lose situation on ally or steel. Ally have a reputation for coming loose or binding to the stud with them being soft and 'orrible. But they keep their colour better with them being anodised rather than painted. On the other hand steel are safer but are just powder coated so the paint just wears away if you take your wheels off more than once or twice. I came up with an idea to put heat shrink over them to use as a cover, which worked for the most part but didn't look 100% IMO. So then I just put shotgun cartridges over my wheels nuts which looked cool but even they rusted eventually! Like you say internal drive are the way to go I reckon.

Yep all very true. I've ended up putting the original steel ones back on for now which were chrome plated but not looking so chrome now! I've actually changed my mind from black I think silver / chrome ones compliment the wheels but I'm still after longer ones to suit. Maybe titanium ones are the answer ! :blush:

I had a crack at neo chrome after years of wondering if I should or not, they work really well I think (lets see how long the effect lasts though!)

IMG_4271_zps6lyomyzr.jpg

Who make these ones mate? Is it Titan? Don't suppose you know what the measurement of the internal drive hole is?

I've bought some spikes and I'm hoping to modify the bits that I buy to take the spikes because I can't find any spiked wheel nuts that aren't for trucks or mega bucks! Would be really helpful to know the size so I can decide whether to buy those ones or not

Don't suppose you could do a little old man a favour? 😇😇🙈