engine swap DE-HR

wilo

my recently purchaced zed has 129000 miles and after reading a post about a few zeds giving up at the 130000 mark its got me thinking of planing for a new lower milage engine swap.

so my question guys......

would i be able to drop a HR engine in its place as easy as another DE ? Or are there other differences which would make connecting it up alot more money .

Interested to know the answer... I’m guessing not easily, doesn’t the HR have a different bonnet?

yes it does but i think mine already has the HR bonnet .it has two lines running down it ?

It can be done but it's not really financially wise. It's not a straight swap over. I'm sure someone will be along to tell you in more detail soon.

if its a pita ill just go DE and probably plenum and remap .nice to know what options i will have just incase that day comes ...hopefully not any time soon

Anything can be done if you throw enough money at it , not only the engine but many other parts like the Ecu and loom will need changing also , it wont be financially viable

cheers rich thats the info i needed..ill stick to DE

Interested to know the answer... I’m guessing not easily, doesn’t the HR have a different bonnet?

yes it does but i think mine already has the HR bonnet .it has two lines running down it ?

Also, if your bonnet has 2 lines running down it (indented I'm guessing)... you have a DE bonnet. The HR bonnet has the bulge in the middle. :thumbs:

• Like 3

The HR engine is also mounted lower in the chasis to improve centre of gravity. Theres loads of differences, so I suspect that it would be miles easier just to swap current engine for the same. However, 129k miles is nothing really. No reason why it shouldnt last forever if its looked after.

• Like 1

If you're concerned about the mileage on your engine, I'd suggest at least doing a compression test and perhaps an oil analysis. These things can give you lots of indicators about the engine condition (as well as the driving experience and general observations). If they throw up any signs of a problem then investigate further, but if serviced properly and not abused the 130K should be fine!

• Like 1

No way on earth would I stick a second hand engine in as a preventative measure for a perfectly well running engine.

How do you know the donor engine hasn't been lamped all over the place?

Seriously bud you'd have to be absolutely Jacobs

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No way on earth would I stick a second hand engine in as a preventative measure for a perfectly well running engine.

How do you know the donor engine hasn't been lamped all over the place?

Seriously bud you'd have to be absolutely Jacobs

not doing it as a preventative measure .im just planing my options incase i ever need a transplant

We done a few and it isn't an easy job.

You have to fit all the Looms from a HR not just the engine loom. We rewire the extra items needed.

Radiator/front panel @ headlamp panels are all different. Gearbox is different as well.

Engine sits in the same place , bonnet bulge is for the HR intake but run without a strut brace and a early bonnet will fit.

HR will always make more power than a DE just a better motor and is as tunable as the DE.

thanks

Edited by Mark@Abbey m/s
  • Like 2

Who told you 130?? lol I've seen people on here sailing through MOT's at 150K miles lol It'll be fine, just keep it serviced, check the oil,the usual. If it ain't broke...

it was a post on this forum. think it was titled how many miles is too much.

any how someone commented that a few zeds had sh1t them selves at the 130000 mark

• Like 1

Who told you 130?? lol I've seen people on here sailing through MOT's at 150K miles lol It'll be fine, just keep it serviced, check the oil,the usual. If it ain't broke...

any how someone commented that a few zeds had sh1t them selves at the 130000 mark

All sorts of mileages bud. We've had one in that's blown to smithereens at 80k. Few peeps have passed 200k.

• Like 1

Must be something wrong or its not gettin checked/looked after enough to go at 80!! Mines is nearly 79K and it still goes like a you know what off a shovel and not using any oil lol.

All sorts of mileages bud. We've had one in that's blown to smithereens at 80k. Few peeps have passed 200k.

hope mine lasts to 200000 .its got full service history and a couple of people here commented that Mo,s car (previous forum member) had been looked after well .

If the mileage bothers you , why buy one with 129k on it?

was told before purchace there good for 200000 but then read about the few that gave up at 130000 on that post the other day ...more of a query than a concern tbh

We have high mileage customer 350's that run excellent and pull like a train still. Regular servicing and keeping the oil level on the max is the key :thumbs:

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

We have high mileage customer 350's that run excellent and pull like a train still. Regular servicing and keeping the oil level on the max is the key :thumbs:

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

okay thanks Lee .

mine had a P3 service inc trans oil in April.

whats the recommended interval for services on the zed and yea i check the oil level every few days as it seems to be using quite alot ..was on 3/4 full when i got it and in 2 weeks iv topped it up to the max and put another 3/4 of a litre of petrona init ..damn thing drinks oil and fuel like iv never seen before .