How fast before it gets unstable?

Banz

Everybodys new to it at somepoint , no need to excuse yourself. This is what the forums for and everyone will help each other out with questions on a daily basis. Its a good place to be! You'll get used to it dont worry just dont overcook it... if your not used to the type of car, take it easy and work up to where you want to be. I went from front wheel drive 141bhp to rear wheel and 309bhp... I made sure I got used to it first before enjoying it to its full potential :) A good few years later and still.loving it (except in traffic...you'll 'love' that) stay safe lol

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Edited by AMT
  • Like 1

Yeah, don't try anything silly, and as I mentioned before stay relaxed and you'll be fine as long as your tyre pressures and wheel alignment are good. The more tense you are, the more it will feel like you're fighting to keep the car on the road.

Zeds do have the ability to bite, but they're not one of those cars that will take every opportunity to do so - you have to push your luck for it to happen. Happy zedding :)

• Like 1

Just keep driving it and make sure everything is tip top with regards to tyres, suspension and geometry.

Like others have said you should increase the pressure in the tyres too.

Once you're 100% that the vehicle is safe then you can increase in confidence in yourself. You'll soon get used to the cockpit.

Do try and avoid potholes. Easy to overlook in a 4x4 as they just arent an issue.

Also try and grab a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

350z pretty stable in my experience - weight helps - haven't aquaplaned as yet

iirc the steering also reduces in sensitivity as your speed increases...

...in other words the 350z is designed for speed ;)

Edited by KUGT4

350z pretty stable in my experience - weight helps - haven't aquaplaned as yet

iirc the steering also reduces in sensitivity as your speed increases...

...in other words the 350z is designed for speed ;)

The power assistance lessens the faster you go, so it's light for manouvering but gives better feel at speed. The ratio is fixed though.

Best way to gain confidence is to lose control... Sounds silly but once you slide for the first time you will only want to do it again! Unless it wasnt intentional of course. Theres a reason people love drifting! i wouldnt advise drifiting on a public road though :)

Theres also a reason why people use zeds as a drift car, they are so well balanced and honestly so easy to drift in a controlled manor. Im no professional but my car control has improved massively since owning it :)

Mines stable at high speeds, and also in the wet. As the rest have said get your tire pressures right. But please don't panic drive gracefully, no sudden movements, imagine that you have a tray of eggs on the bonnet, enjoy the car.

Get your confidence level up, but don't get over confident, it will bite you in the butt, and you will break the eggs.

• Like 1

I've hit 165-167mph multiple times on the Autobahn when driving to the Nurburgring, and the Zed feels completely fine. if anything maybe a little bit light at the front end, but that's to be expected. Besides, it's not like you're going to be anywhere near those speeds anywhere else other than the de-restricted German Autobahn. At normal, regulated motorway speeds you should be having absolutely zero issues whatsoever!

Theres also a reason why people use zeds as a drift car, they are so well balanced and honestly so easy to drift in a controlled manor. Im no professional but my car control has improved massively since owning it :)

Yeah, I gotta say, I really have improved a lot on my car control since owning the Zed. I had an error code pop up (P0340) where my TC was disabled until I got the sensor fitted. So I ended up having to learn to control if she stepped out on me when negotiating roundabouts lol. Obviously not intentionally, but in the wet it's not exactly difficult to swing the back end out :)

• Like 1

No-one has mentioned geo yet, which is arguably the biggest thing that will change how the car feels at ALL speeds and in all conditions.

You can set your car up for cornering (which loses straight-line stability), straight lines (which blunts cornering), or a bit of both (which compromises both). There's no 'perfect' solution, it just depends on what you want the car to feel like. Personally I prefer cornering ability, but there's no harm in having it set up to the alternative.

• Like 1

No-one has mentioned geo yet, which is arguably the biggest thing that will change how the car feels at ALL speeds and in all conditions.

You can set your car up for cornering (which loses straight-line stability), straight lines (which blunts cornering), or a bit of both (which compromises both). There's no 'perfect' solution, it just depends on what you want the car to feel like. Personally I prefer cornering ability, but there's no harm in having it set up to the alternative.

Very good point. I agree that my preference is cornering and handling over top speed too. 120mph+ is completely pointless on a day to day basis really... but having a great feel to the car on a windy country road... priceless :thumbs:

• Like 2

I'd agree the zed is a very easy car to drive sideways, quite easy to provoke and then throughout the slide the car gives confidence and feedback through the seat and wheel to hold it. It's then very easy to gather up again.

I was quite surprised just how easy the car is to chuck around, it's not dissimilar to my old mx5.

High speed it's very stable too, I've seen 130mph in Germany and there was no drama apart from having to turn the radio up a bit!

Edited by Cyder

Agree with what you said, although I think it's jumping the gun a bit with regards to the OP's problem.

It's not really a problem, just heavy steering. As most people suggested, it's most likely the tyres pressure and that I'm not used to cars like this.

I test drove my friend Audi TTs 2015, and the steering is just so light. Then I let my friend tried my Zed and he was shocked on how heavy the steering is. Of course it was normal at high speed so I suppose it must be the tyres.

If you compare the zed and the audi TTs, the TT is definitely much higher as well. Of course the new car suspension is really good too.

You really need to get the geo checked.

New Meister R Zeta S coilovers and a pair of adjustable Camber Arms, and full Geo sorted by Sly at Kaiser Motorsport in 2014

Presumably I don't need to get it checked if it was done in 2014? I had to fix a puncture about 2 weeks ago and I think they did do a wheel alignment.

Actually, it's very likely to be 90% of the OPs problem (along with the tyre pressures). ;)

If it's out of alignment, sure, but someone mentioned that on the first page ;)

I was referring to you suggesting non-standard geo settings, which is definitely not the first step to getting comfortable with the car IMO.

I've only had the car less than a month :lol:

But I think it is aligned if I compare it to my other cars. It's goes in a straight line fine even if I don't hold onto the steering wheel. Nor do I feel the wheel or steering wheel wobble.

Either way, I'm really enjoying the car much more now after spending more time on the road than cleaning it.

Can't be bothered reading all the previous, however as suggested:

Check all tyres are matching and in good condition.

Tyre pressures all at 35 psi.

Full geometry 4 wheel check and adjust

I do my geo. after every track day.

So as a rule of thumb for just a road going car, geo. check and adjust every 12 months with your annual service and MOT.

• Like 2