Opinions please on quality of alloy wheel refurbishment

cob1980

I had my alloys refurbished last week, picked them up at the weekend all looked good until I got home and fitted them I realised the centre caps were missing (they did tell me they would not do anything with them and that I should get colour matched elsewhere - but I expected them back). And also the finish is patchy around the hub area and all of the bolt holes. The rest of the wheel is done very well. See photos \/

20160612_174051_zpsmirmspcs.jpg

20160612_183258_zpsdlzsjdvu.jpg

I decided that it wasn't a big deal as it wasn't hugely noticeable and it's in areas that get very dirty, but then the more I thought about it the more I got annoyed because it's not really the point. What does everyone else think, am I expecting too much or should they have done a better job? I could get longer wheel nuts.

Emailed them the photos yesterday but not had a response as yet.

I had a similar issue, but they had missed spokes, the barrel of the wheel and the hub! Botch job.

Spend a couple of mins with each wheel and write down what is wrong with each so you don't forget, then bring them back and rain hell :)

hmm yea just seems a bit sloppy, shame cos the rest of it looks ace. Not had any done before so didn't know if I was expecting too much, my expectation was that they would look factory new!

Sounds a plan. I paid on my credit card so covered there but hope it doesn't come to that.

If I had paid to have my alloys refurbed at a cost of, I'm guessing at least £250-300 odd if not more, then I would not be happy with that job. :thumbdown:

Tbh I'd go back down there and politely have a word with the person in charge to see what can be done about it.

Be prepared for a lot of excuses, but don't take any.

I got "well its hand done so it won't be perfect" and the usual "it's within reason and still high quality"

It should be 99% perfect, thats why you're paying them. I've had a top notch job done for £300 and the guy said it was a bit difficult but I knew that when I started (bmw MV1 wheels for anyone who cares) but they were flawless. Tried a new place just cause why not, and they found 350z Rays were a challenge. Avoiding them now.

Be prepared for a lot of excuses, but don't take any.

I got "well its hand done so it won't be perfect" and the usual "it's within reason and still high quality"

It should be 99% perfect, thats why you're paying them. I've had a top notch job done for £300 and the guy said it was a bit difficult but I knew that when I started (bmw MV1 wheels for anyone who cares) but they were flawless. Tried a new place just cause why not, and they found 350z Rays were a challenge. Avoiding them now.

Yep exactly that!... they got back to me, there reason/excuse was "We do our best not to overload the wheel bolt holes with powder coat so that once your nuts are fitted there is no issues with seating etc". I partly believe what they are saying because all 4 alloys are exactly the same and all the spokes are done well, but I don't believe they are correct - I can't imagine the holes being "overloaded" very easily. No comment on the missed bit on the hub area!

You need to go back for the centre caps anyways, see what they say as should be a straight forward fix.

They said they would "check with the lads" as to what happened to the centre caps. I will be asking them if it's common practise to bin them if they cannot find them!

Honestly, it feels like any service I pay for these days I have some kind of hassle :rant:

I had the old wheels on my 300ZX refurbed a few months ago and... well...

SAM_3121_zpsfzmnnnkp.jpg

SAM_3120_zpsvzte6fix.jpg

SAM_3115_zpsewr6ee07.jpg

SAM_3112_zpsetrbhuxg.jpg

SAM_3119_zpsraeysleh.jpg

I was told that the quality was good for what I paid (£250)!! Also told that they wouldn't be put right and done "properly" unless I paid again....

To date, I've cost the guy about £6k in business by telling people who were looking to have theirs done to avoid him at all costs!

• Like 1

I can sort of understand what they are saying about not coating the holes too much. I had my wheels powder coated on a Porsche I owned previously. Apparently the powder coat 'beds in'/ squashes/ compresses under the nuts over time after they are newly coated. So even though the wheel nuts are torqued correctly when first fitted after a while the nuts can become loose. I presume the thicker the coat the more it's going to compress?

So long story short, I learnt this the hard way about 6 to 8 months after having my fancy new wheels fitted when one came loose going up the A1. Needless to say I've bought myself a torque wrench and check my nuts a bit more often now :)

On another note, whenever I've had wheels powder coated, I've taken them to a company in Bradford. They do them at £1 per inch for wheels for a flat/ plain colour. Ie an 18" wheel costs £18.

They do some fancy colours/ finishes at £1.50 an inch.

They always do a decent job, and looking at what others have been paying on here it's an absolute bargain.

Cob1980 - I'd defo go back and speak to someone there - not only have they 'misplaced' your centrecaps but it doesn't look like they've delivered on what you paid them for.

Do let us know how you get on!

SAM_3121_zpsfzmnnnkp.jpg

SAM_3120_zpsvzte6fix.jpg

SAM_3115_zpsewr6ee07.jpg

SAM_3112_zpsetrbhuxg.jpg

SAM_3119_zpsraeysleh.jpg

I was told that the quality was good for what I paid (£250)!! Also told that they wouldn't be put right and done "properly" unless I paid again....

To date, I've cost the guy about £6k in business by telling people who were looking to have theirs done to avoid him at all costs!

Good on you Mondo! What a stupid excuse to give a client after spending £250 with you. Strongest form of advertising (Good & Bad) is word of mouth, should've just redone your wheels or given you your money back.

• Like 1

SAM_3121_zpsfzmnnnkp.jpg

SAM_3120_zpsvzte6fix.jpg

SAM_3115_zpsewr6ee07.jpg

SAM_3112_zpsetrbhuxg.jpg

SAM_3119_zpsraeysleh.jpg

WOW...the finish on that is horrendous! Totally agree on the bad publicity so long as they've had the chance to rectify it.

I can sort of understand what they are saying about not coating the holes too much. I had my wheels powder coated on a Porsche I owned previously. Apparently the powder coat 'beds in'/ squashes/ compresses under the nuts over time after they are newly coated. So even though the wheel nuts are torqued correctly when first fitted after a while the nuts can become loose. I presume the thicker the coat the more it's going to compress?

So long story short, I learnt this the hard way about 6 to 8 months after having my fancy new wheels fitted when one came loose going up the A1. Needless to say I've bought myself a torque wrench and check my nuts a bit more often now :)

Interesting view / point. Makes sense. It seems the company I have used have been a little too cautious though IMO.

On another note, whenever I've had wheels powder coated, I've taken them to a company in Bradford. They do them at £1 per inch for wheels for a flat/ plain colour. Ie an 18" wheel costs £18.

They do some fancy colours/ finishes at £1.50 an inch.

They always do a decent job, and looking at what others have been paying on here it's an absolute bargain.

Shame they were't closer...

If they're a decent company they'll want to fix it since your wheels are now an advert for their work

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Yep! :)

Cob1980 - I'd defo go back and speak to someone there - not only have they 'misplaced' your centrecaps but it doesn't look like they've delivered on what you paid them for.

Do let us know how you get on!

Will do!

The pricing is what kills my following argument a but £300 doesn't usually get you 99% perfect either.

Hand spraying wheels is tough. I've seen much much worse and if I'm deadly honest I've done worse myself (but then I don't charge £300 and I make it clear is a cosmetic 'refacing' not full refurb').

£300 is a tough price......it should be right. £450 is what in can get them FULLY refurbished for and that is a better than factory effort. £300 is in that twilight bracket of 'should be right but probably won't be'.

Personally I'd just ask them to sort it out which they probably will do.

As for the centre caps that's pretty bad. You can't just sling a customers bits.

Mondo that job conversely is shocking!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I just had a set of Rays done by a local guy in shadow chrome left them with him for three weeks not a problem because they were a set when I purchased the car they were not to bad but needed a refurb to get them looking better :D

Well I went to collect them when it was best for both of us so all good, when I arrived they were on a stand in the day light standing horizontally up the colour was good apart from on a couple of the wheels more than the other two there was what I call muck in the paint which I was'nt happy with. :thumbdown:

So any way I left them with him to put right and he said call the following day,that day went and did have a call the next day to say he tried his best but said they still weren't right. :(

But did say he could do no more and to collect and not pay which to be fare I can't complain about to much.

Any way with out spoiling your thread we come to agreement both sides are happy with.

I must say not fitted them to the zed yet but I do like the colour very much :D

Just to add to what I said about my refurb experience: it took the guy three attempts to get them to the state they were in the photos and, to be honest, I don't think he knew what he was doing (despite coming highly recommended!).

For starters, he heated the wheels then applied the powder primer. I was of the understanding that powdercoating involved an electric current, but he did it differently. The first time he tried them, he applied 2k paint over the powder primer, then a powder lacquer. But the heat needed to cure the lacquer bled the finish out of the paint, so he tried again. Same result.

After some to'ing and fro'ing (where he asked me to pay extra for more materials!), he agreed that he'd have the wheels reblasted and then paint them at his own expense. When I went to collect the car, the first words out of his mouth were that there were some runs in the lacquer but he didn't have a fine enough grade of wet'n'dry to remove them. It was also dark and raining when I went to collect, so I couldn't properly examine them.

When I looked at them the following morning, I took those pictures. When I sent them to him, he initially tried to blame the shotblaster, but he later said that he couldn't spare the time to flat the primer down to ensure a smooth finish. I asked him what he was going to do to rectify this and that was when he told me that I'd need to pay a further £250 to have them redone and that he would then only do them in a single colour!

I wasn't happy with that as I'd specifically asked for them to be two colours and he'd told me that that was no problem at all. He made it clear that he wasn't prepared to offer any money back or to sort them at his own expense, and told me that my ideas of a "poor finish" differ from other peoples!! I asked him if he'd be happy if they were his wheels and that was the point that he said "for the price you paid, yes!"

I ended up getting brand new wheels for the car as I couldn't live with the hatchet job he'd done on mine, which completely negated the cost-saving of having my wheels refurbed in the first place.

I left a factual and polite review on his Facebook page, detailing every single message and interaction between he and I. His response? "Wow, really?"

You couldn't make it up...

For a while, if I saw anyone locally asking about wheel refurbs, I just posted pictures of mine and let people ask me which butcher had done them. I haven't gone on any kind of smear campaign against him, but I've told people (privately) when they've directly asked me where I had them done.

:(

The pricing is what kills my following argument a but £300 doesn't usually get you 99% perfect either.

Hand spraying wheels is tough. I've seen much much worse and if I'm deadly honest I've done worse myself (but then I don't charge £300 and I make it clear is a cosmetic 'refacing' not full refurb').

£300 is a tough price......it should be right. £450 is what in can get them FULLY refurbished for and that is a better than factory effort. £300 is in that twilight bracket of 'should be right but probably won't be'.

Personally I'd just ask them to sort it out which they probably will do.

As for the centre caps that's pretty bad. You can't just sling a customers bits.

Mondo that job conversely is shocking!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Interesting thanks...more of an update below...

I just had a set of Rays done by a local guy in shadow chrome left them with him for three weeks not a problem because they were a set when I purchased the car they were not to bad but needed a refurb to get them looking better :D

Well I went to collect them when it was best for both of us so all good, when I arrived they were on a stand in the day light standing horizontally up the colour was good apart from on a couple of the wheels more than the other two there was what I call muck in the paint which I was'nt happy with. :thumbdown:

So any way I left them with him to put right and he said call the following day,that day went and did have a call the next day to say he tried his best but said they still weren't right. :(

But did say he could do no more and to collect and not pay which to be fare I can't complain about to much.

Any way with out spoiling your thread we come to agreement both sides are happy with.

I must say not fitted them to the zed yet but I do like the colour very much :D

I do like the shadow chrome; I was tempted. I have heard the chrome finish can spoil easier...which is probably true since mine where a chrome finish before and all were bad. But it wasn't quite the look I was after so decided not to in the end. Glad you got sorted :thumbs:

Just to add to what I said about my refurb experience: it took the guy three attempts to get them to the state they were in the photos and, to be honest, I don't think he knew what he was doing (despite coming highly recommended!).

For starters, he heated the wheels then applied the powder primer. I was of the understanding that powdercoating involved an electric current, but he did it differently. The first time he tried them, he applied 2k paint over the powder primer, then a powder lacquer. But the heat needed to cure the lacquer bled the finish out of the paint, so he tried again. Same result.

After some to'ing and fro'ing (where he asked me to pay extra for more materials!), he agreed that he'd have the wheels reblasted and then paint them at his own expense. When I went to collect the car, the first words out of his mouth were that there were some runs in the lacquer but he didn't have a fine enough grade of wet'n'dry to remove them. It was also dark and raining when I went to collect, so I couldn't properly examine them.

When I looked at them the following morning, I took those pictures. When I sent them to him, he initially tried to blame the shotblaster, but he later said that he couldn't spare the time to flat the primer down to ensure a smooth finish. I asked him what he was going to do to rectify this and that was when he told me that I'd need to pay a further £250 to have them redone and that he would then only do them in a single colour!

I wasn't happy with that as I'd specifically asked for them to be two colours and he'd told me that that was no problem at all. He made it clear that he wasn't prepared to offer any money back or to sort them at his own expense, and told me that my ideas of a "poor finish" differ from other peoples!! I asked him if he'd be happy if they were his wheels and that was the point that he said "for the price you paid, yes!"

I ended up getting brand new wheels for the car as I couldn't live with the hatchet job he'd done on mine, which completely negated the cost-saving of having my wheels refurbed in the first place.

I left a factual and polite review on his Facebook page, detailing every single message and interaction between he and I. His response? "Wow, really?"

You couldn't make it up...

For a while, if I saw anyone locally asking about wheel refurbs, I just posted pictures of mine and let people ask me which butcher had done them. I haven't gone on any kind of smear campaign against him, but I've told people (privately) when they've directly asked me where I had them done.

:(

That's really disappointing especially considering they came recommended. The finish on those is pretty horrific! I hate getting in to situations like that. Reminds me of when we had our driveway done (I think everyone has a bad drive story lol). In the end I had to cut my losses and tell the guy to do one because I just did not trust anything he said or his workmanship. As they say a picture paints a 1000 words... you don't have to slate the company, just show people the photos and let them decide for themselves.

Update... Unfortunately yesterday I got called in to work as I am on-call this week so I literally turned up at the place 5 mins before closing. It was busy as normal. I saw one of the guys who I'd been dealing with and he apologised for not replying to my last email on Thurs. He said it had been a bad week as one of their customers had sadly had a fatal accident pulling out of their premises; they had to close up the shop in the week and were only just catching up. Anyway I asked him about the caps first he said it was normal practice to box up any parts - caps, valves etc then give back to customer when the job is done. So I should have had them back. He went in to workshop with another chap and the other chap came back out with my centre caps - woohoo! I wanted to speak to the original guy about the wheels but then he was busy with someone else. I decided to leave it for the day as it was closing time and obviously very busy still.

Anyway another story - the wheel nuts. I'll cut this one short. I bought TITAN tuner wheel nuts, great design, cr@p quality so I sent them back. I'm going to buy 50mm nuts so this will hide the lack of paint. I'd be happy with that. As the hubs areas, I'll ask them again if there is anything that can be done about that without having to go through the hole refurb process. TBH the hub part is not that noticeable I was more bothered about the lug holes so I may just leave it considering the rest of the wheels look ace.

Good news that you got your centre caps back at least. ;)

Where did you buy your wheel nuts btw?

The reason I ask is you need to be careful with buying those especially off places like eBay as cheap copies are rife.

If you haven't already try some of the traders on here for your wheel nuts like Torqen, Tarmac Sportz, the Cougar Store etc. All in the professional traders area. :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Good news that you got your centre caps back at least. ;)

Where did you buy your wheel nuts btw?

The reason I ask is you need to be careful with buying those especially off places like eBay as cheap copies are rife.

If you haven't already try some of the traders on here for your wheel nuts like Torqen, Tarmac Sportz, the Cougar Store etc. All in the professional traders area. :thumbs:

Hi sorry I somehow missed this post. Yes I did indeed buy off eBay, I don't know if they were copies or if Titan are just a cr@p brand. Suspecting now that they were not genuine as I don't think the manufacturers could make them so bad. Infuriates me just thinking about it.....

Hi

Could you let us know, were you went?

It was Prestige Wheel Centre in Erdington.

I was going to get mine done at some point. I was recommended a guy that charges £40 per wheel. Seems a bit cheap!

I normally say pay cheap pay twice... but doesn't always apply!! I always go by recommendation where possible.