Turbo cool down

Flex

The skyline is full of dials/gauges, only two if which I understand :lol:

There's a turbo timer for cool down, I just wondered what it should be set to, I always take the last part of my journey really steady and then wait for a minute on the drive anyway before switching off.

Just wondered what's people's thoughts?

I have had a turbo timer or two in my time, personal views are, unless you have absolutely nailed it to your door, a gentle cool down drive does exactly the same job, which it sounds like your doing.

Some timers have an auto feature that works it out for you depending on the time you have spent on boost.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

I tend to agree.

The turbo in your car, is it water cooled? If it's water cooled then you need a much shorter cooldown period than if it's not, however I personally treat the turbo the same way I treat any engine. That is, I wouldn't rag the arse off it then suddenly switch the engine off and let the thing heat soak itself to death. No need to let it idle, that's actually worse as you have zero airflow movement, just take it gently for the last couple of mins before you stop after thrashing it. If you've only popped to the shops and not really put any load on anything then I wouldn't even bother with that.

• Like 1

Just drive off boost in the last few minutes of your journey, and wind down to a gentle cruise until you stop. Note that from what I have heard, turbo timers would invalidate your insurance as they leave the car active whilst you are not in it.

• Like 1

if it's water cooled then unless you've really been hammering it then it's probably not necessary the issue is generally not that it causes damage to the turbo but coking due to oil being burnt on the surfaces causing blocked oil ways etc

:)

Edited by andybp

I always take the last part of my journey really steady and then wait for a minute on the drive anyway before switching off.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing ATM anyway mate, so no real need for the timer.

I also heard rumour on Turbo Timers being used to invalidate insurance claims as you can run the car without the key being in. My old MR2 came with one, was amusing for a while to get out and stand next to the car and have it shut down automatically. But I removed it after a while.

TBH, if an owner can't manage to drive the last few miles gently to look after the car and absolutely has to have a turbo timer to force them into a cool down phase - then they don't deserve the car. It's not hard really.

Just drive off boost in the last few minutes of your journey, and wind down to a gentle cruise until you stop. Note that from what I have heard, turbo timers would invalidate your insurance as they leave the car active whilst you are not in it.

Oh dear, might have to look at removing it then. Mother ducker!

Good thing I'm too chicken to walk off then

Me too lol but it will cut off if someone tried to steal it as no keys, right?

Dan, wiki says:

• water cooled, oil pressure lubed turbos

I guess it would, but they could also drive it up onto the back of a truck and drive it off without doing any damage to the car or having to circumnavigate an alarm in public.

• Like 1

I guess it would, but they could also drive it up onto the back of a truck and drive it off without doing any damage to the car or having to circumnavigate an alarm in public.

theyd only have about 15 secs lol.

• Like 1

I usually remove turbo timers, as they are more trouble than they are of value, as they will keep the engine running whether you have been hammering it or not so a quick trip down the shops proves a pain when the engine refuses to turn off and you have to just sit there as the central locking wont work with the engine running.

Apart from that modern oils are unlikely to coke up when subjected to extreme heat anyway, and if your allowing for cool down it not a problem anyway.

• Like 1

Although some installers will allow the central locking to lock with the engine running/ignition on, its not advised for various reasons, apart from the fact that you could end up locked in the car after an accident, you will also find that your insurance company wont cover you should you walk away from the car and leave it running.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Have you done my 'trick' yet and accidentally left the turbo timer running whilst you re-fuel? :lol:

I thought the reason everyone was looking at me at the filling station was due to me looking particularly resplendent that day hehe.

Mine is just set one 1 minute which I believe to be enough - I don't hoon it down my own street so you could say that I have a natural cooling down period. I manually disable it if I've only done a short and low rpm journey.

S.

I don;t know what pleb installed mine then because it totally lets you lock it and wander off :lol:

Lol. :lol:

It was the same on my old JDM Impreza WRX. The turbo timer on that would allow you to take the keys out, lock the car (walk off) and after the designated time you'd set it to it would switch off.

It did have some safety features like if someone got in the car and tried to drive off (selected a gear) it would shut down immediately & arm the immobiliser/set off alarm. Same thing would happen if you lowered the handbrake whilst the turbo timer was on.

Maybe it's manufacturer specific? Mine was a Blitz turbo timer.