Spark plugs

Chris141084

In my experience, Iradiums are a good, long lasting plug. BUT. If you leave them in an unused engine for a period of time, say six months or more, they seem to fail more readily than standard plugs.

I build and repair motorcycles and usually have to replace them in engines stood for a while, they don't even want to clean up.

• Like 1

What kind of mileage are you looking at before plugs need changing ? I have an HR with original plugs at 54k. Read in manual they don't get changed until 100k !

They should be changed at 5 years or 54k

What kind of mileage are you looking at before plugs need changing ? I have an HR with original plugs at 54k. Read in manual they don't get changed until 100k !

They should be changed at 5 years or 54k

So next question is Denso or NGK or is there a blind bit of difference between the two apart from price ?

Copper are fine also if you dont want to have to fork out night on £80 or whatever, they just don't last as long, the iridium has no performance gain over copper, just longevity.

Exactly! nothing to be gained with iridiums apart from service life, anything else is just placebo.

So the iridiums last longer than copper, but do they give a better spark or any gain over the ngk platinum plugs that are the standard OE

Quick answer is no! you will find no scientific evidence, only than hearsay and promotional blurb that any one type of plug is better than another,

they have been manufacturing plugs for over a century and so far nobody has come out with a better design.

In my experience, Iradiums are a good, long lasting plug. BUT. If you leave them in an unused engine for a period of time, say six months or more, they seem to fail more readily than standard plugs.

I build and repair motorcycles and usually have to replace them in engines stood for a while, they don't even want to clean up.

So very true, had three fail on mine. I would not fit these again especially if you sorn your car for the winter months.

The handbook states longer service interval for iridiums.

As above, if you're not leaving it standing around then they'd be the ones to go for.

I've put Denso Iridiums in mine and found the idle was a bit smoother, but like replacing any item this could just be because the previous ones were due replacement.

Denso were the oem spec ones iirc but ngk are a popular choice too.

www.sparkplugs.co.uk are good value but you might be able to get the same from one of the traders on here.

• Like 1