New Z owner seeking advice

GTOpezzer

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought my first Z, a 2005 Azure Blue with 88k.

Got the banging / knocking coming from the offside front wheel area, and after reading through a lot of posts on here it seems obvious to me that its the Banana Arm.

Now- I've read on here that they are £350 from Nissan, and also some trader members have them a bit cheaper too :-) , , , but I've recently seen even cheaper ones on Ebay (£65 each)

Different sellers, although they all seem to be in Dewsbury, and with 100% feedback - with 1yr warranty too :-)

Would I be wise to buy 1???

Even if it only lasts a few months - but cures the problem, , , then I'll know what to get next time, rather than spending loads on other parts until I get to the bottom of it.

Also - can I do it myself in my driveway with an Argos socket set???

(I'm a middle aged, overweight trucker - NOT a mechanic)

Looking forward to hearing from you all soon, and hopefully building a good friendship as I did with my old Mitsubishi GTO on the owners club forum :-)

Cheers,

Perry.

Also - can I do it myself in my driveway with an Argos socket set???

Might be a bit ambitious of a job for DIY tools. The tools we have that have stood up to 20 years of mechanical grief are all Stanley, Snap-On, Kamasa and the like. You don't want one of the tools to break and you hurt yourself/the car.

Also you've got to think about the thing maybe being stuck up in the air longer than expected; it would be best if it could be left under cover and secure if you had to leave it overnight.

Just a thought; I tend to be overly cautious/paranoid with these things.

P.S. thanks for bringing to light the cheaper arms that available. If/when I do mine in the future I'll probably get some eBay specials myself and put the poly bushes in like KyleR recommended.

Edited by RavenDW

I recently changed mine and got them from cougar. the quote i got from Nissan was £306 each. Cougar were much cheaper. Sorted out that knocking you're talking about.

if you're going to do it yourself on the drive way, it could impede what is already a rather long winded job into a cursing marathon. I suppose you could do it with an Argos socket set but you WILL need a breaker bar and possibly a blow torch. Some of those bolts won't be so co-operative to come off. You'll also need to get the cone off the old banana arm which isn't going to be easy.

Best of luck.

JOB DONE!!! :teeth:

I bought just the one Offside arm from eBay for £62.99 :)

Didn't realise that the subframe needed to be removed for the arm to drop low enough to clear the stud, and the only problem I had was that I couldn't get the nut off the ball joint,, and ended up having to grind it off!! :blush:

Then I struggled to remove the cone from the original arm, , , , it was stuck solid!! . . . Wasn't sure if it was screwed on the threaded stud - so tried it with 2 pairs of Mowl Grips, but still wouldn't budge :wacko:

So out came the Plumbers Gas Torch again. . . . And suddenly it popped off!!!!, , and I mean it literally JUMPED off the ball joint stud like a FROG!!!! :yawn::scare:

Put it all back together, gave it a good 10mile Road Test - and came back home with a smile on my face :):teeth::D

And all I broke was my 1/2" to 3/8 socket adapter (£2.99 for 4 - so no big deal) :rant:

Cheers for all the welcoming messages guys :)

Perry

The cheap ones come from China , like most things they are of a variable quality.

you hit the nail on the head there the Chinese stuff comes in very cheap but with the risk that either quality or fit will not be good or it may fit and work perfectly as the man said Variable and until it arrives you won't know

I was trying to fit fuel rails yesterday bought at a fraction of the cost from china compared to the UK but spent several hours with them in my milling machine due to clearance problems not a problem to me but something to consider before spending your money :)

Welcome bud. New guy myself! And experiencing this dreaded knocking!

Mine was more a f/n/s clunking so I changed the drop links which sorted that... But now there's a definite sinister sounding knocking. I'm guiessing it's the banana arm...

I managed to get a replacement arm on eBay for only £30 (guy bought and didn't use). Figure I'll see if that shuts it up first then can look at getting better ones/poly bushes in the future.