motorway driving

garygranite

on my trip up too castle combe and back , just seemed to notice how many cars move over when behind them .. not saying I drive fast , but a lot of cars poodle in outside lane until.. they actually use there mirrors, by the way I'm not a tail gater or somebody who looms up behind them making people move over :)

I just sit in lanes 1 & 2 and pass as I see fit. Most people can be passed on the right without breaking sweat.

I stay in the farthest left lane as is sensible, I keep my speed constant and if someone is sitting in the lane to my right, with nothing in front of me I will (cautiously) go past them on the inside if the speed difference isn't too great. I do not change my speed, simply pass them on the left.

Rule 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Rule 264

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/motorways-253-to-273

I like to pretend to undertake and then when they realise and pull in, I overtake. Then pull in front of them, slow down to 30mph for a minute, when they then go to overtake I speed back up. Repeat at least 5 times.

(I dont actually do this)

• Like 6

I like to pretend to undertake and then when they realise and pull in, I overtake. Then pull in front of them, slow down to 30mph for a minute, when they then go to overtake I speed back up. Repeat at least 5 times.

(I dont actually do this)

I have had a really strange encounter in the past where a lady was flying down the empty motorway, maybe doing 90. She got right up behind me, incredibly close and then tailed me while I was doing 70 on cruise. Almost as if she couldn't keep speed by herself and simply used other people to control it while tailing them. So I cancelled cruise to get rid of her, 60... 50... 40... after drifting all the way down to 30mph she finally changed to the middle lane. At that exact moment I caned it back up to 70 leaving her in the middle lane of a motorway at 30mph, oh the flashing lights of people thinking "WTF" were entertaining. Some people are just weird.

• Like 1

undertaking, a pretty grey area. I never do it, if plod doesn't have enough hits that day or is having a bad day, i know he'll single me out and throw the book and the kitchen sink at me.

I'd never change lanes specifically to undertake, that's a big no no.

Which is why it's always good to know the HC :D

As long as it's done safely so they can't get you for careless driving, no issues at all. Smashing past at over the ton probably isn't a good idea though :lol:

That's why it is always best to use the hard shoulder to undertake :p

Once again I jest.

Edited by Flex

Which is why it's always good to know the HC :D

As long as it's done safely so they can't get you for careless driving, no issues at all. Smashing past at over the ton probably isn't a good idea though :lol:

That's why it is always best to use the hard shoulder to undertake :p

Once again I jest.

Nothing would surprise me any more, ~100 on the hard shoulder undertaking a tractor before a junction, yup seen that :scare:

Someone undertook me in an audi S3 yesterday actually, I was already doing about 80mph and he went past me like I was standing still. I could hear it's turbo spool from inside my car with the windows shut and music on :lol:

Damn that thing was rapid, sounded amazing too. Driver was a tool tho.

People in England seem to drive @*!# slow. On my way from London to Holyhead in a 2004 1.25 fiesta, I was baffled at how slow everyone was driving - like 100 KMH or less on a Motorway. In Ireland 120 is the absolute minimum to drive on the big inter county motorways.

People in England seem to drive @*!# slow. On my way from London to Holyhead in a 2004 1.25 fiesta, I was baffled at how slow everyone was driving - like 100 KMH or less on a Motorway. In Ireland 120 is the absolute minimum to drive on the big inter county motorways.

I had to readjust when moving down here from Scotland for good reason, speed cameras. It just isn't worth getting there the 5 seconds sooner, besides, you'll probably be stuck in traffic anyhow. As for people that drive reeeeally slow, I figure they are either terrified of driving or eco-idiots, I treat both with equal levels of disdain.

I undertake everyone, on purpose because where i live every w*nker is a middle lane hogger. take the a13 for example. 70mph road. i can sit at 60/55 and still undertake people in the middle lane whilst chilling in the left.

I keep a count per journey, adds another twist if you reach your destination with a new PB :lol:

• Like 1