General Advice - minor accident

-Bradders-

So yesterday a friend of mine... lol was down near worthing (collecting wheels from mouthwash) on our way down towards hastings, they had a small crash, no one hurt was travelling about 10mph torrential rain hail stones everything. Realised wrong lane leading up to roundabout looked in the mirror a BMW came flying up so they couldn't move over, looked ahead boom. Car in front was standstill they hit the brakes hard, locked up and slid into the back of a Citroen.

First things first they get out and say they so sorry, woman in the passenger seat (drivers mum) shouts you bloody will be! The chap driving was worried about them more than himself he was a nice lad anyway they then shat their pants after seeing a small child in the back however everyone was fine and dandy the fiesta (their daily) took a bit of a knock to the bonnet and number plate was cracked and his rear bumper had a scuff and was a bit wonky.

Anyway to get to what I was wondering. In the hurry of things causing traffic standing in the downpour etc.. they didn't get any pictures all they got was all his mums (passenger) name and address phone number etc.. It was her car however she wasn't driving! they should have got his details no? they've not been in a crash for over 7 years! Even then it wasn't their fault.

They've asked her if they could settle out of insurance and said they would pay but not had a response.

Edited by -Bradders-

Glad you're okay matey, that's the main thing. As a minimum you should always get the driver name and the car reg. Any photos?

Did they get your details?

Best (and correct) thing to do is to ring your insurer and give them the details, let them deal with it. Depending on the damage they've got, which you may not be able to see fully, it's very likely it'll cost you far less in the long run to go via insurance, plus if they start claiming whiplash then you're covered. You know I've just been there with a crash, honest mate it's really just easier to let them handle it even if you don't claim for your own repairs.

• Like 1

Sod that she replied lol said shell go to a garage and see what the damage costs I have no pictures at all. Or the reg :/ stupid I know. I have message from her now saying no one is injured and everyone is fine though. Won't tell insurance yet as even if you don't make a claim it affects yours policy from what I've heard!

Indeed, although it won't stop her claiming a few weeks down the line regardless. Which, in fairness, she's completely entitled to do since it was Bradders' fault ;)

I'd still tell your insurer. That's exactly what you pay them for, and if there's no claim from her then you're very unlikely to see any kind of noticeable increase in premium because of it.

Not really related but, can you make insurers aware you've been in an accident but both parties are dealing with it privately?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Counts as an accident and stays on your record for 3-5 years. Adds and Extra £300 a year on my policy. So ****ing stupid. Wish I never told them. Edited by Grundy@TeamTarmac
  • Like 3

Not really related but, can you make insurers aware you've been in an accident but both parties are dealing with it privately?

Counts as an accident and stays on your record for 3-5 years. Adds and Extra £300 a year on my policy. So ****ing stupid. Wish I never told them.

Cheers, good to know.

As your the "at fault" party Bradders I'd tell your insurance company. Theres nothing to stop her from claiming later on even after you settle it privately between you as its not legally binding. All it takes is one of her friends explaining how they got £2k for something back in 2013 etc.

If it was the other way around then yeah there's benefits to keeping quiet (you know you aren't going to claim whiplash 2yrs down the line for example) but given the fact the mum comes over as a gobby cow, and there's potentially a child involved too then there is potential here for it get very ambulance chaser all of a sudden. The only saving grace might be that the person driving wasn't declared as a driver but even at best thats just a technicality but might make them think twice about claiming. Good luck either way!

Edited by Sargara
  • Like 1

I'll see, She's going to call me today to discuss, i will mention to her that if she goes through insurance it will have to go through her son's as he was the driver of the vehicle. If she gets ratty then i will just phone my insurance.

According to this a non fault accident can increase your premium by up to 30%?

http://www.theguardi...ar-insurance-aa

I'm not sure about insurers in the UK - but on renewal here in Ire, the insurance company will ask you something to the effect of "have you been in any accidents in the last 5 years whether your fault or not"

So you're kinda snookered into telling them.

Glad to hear all is ok Bradders.

Exactly. If you say no then you've lied and you're in all kinds of trouble if you then have a proper accident and they start investigating. Like, y'know, searching the internet for stuff you've written about having a crash ;)

Hope you get it all sorted but you should probably delete this public thread about you intending to defraud your insurer by not telling them though..

Like Ekona says there's nothing to stop them claiming for whiplash and even the repairs after you've already sent them money. They may be kind, honest people but then they may not...

• Like 1