Insurance for a new driver

ioneabee

well - my boy "finally" passed his driving test last week :yahoo:

Insurance as a learner was a very respectable £700 odd pounds with sky (on here)

they wouldn't continue once he'd passed, so did the usual hunt and expecting it go up by at least £300-£400 was pleasantly surprised to get a quote for £572

so an actual reduction.......... no longer supervised, let loose etc - this is why no-one understands how insurance works !!!!

• Like 1

It would have been a lot more for the equivalent fiesta or corsa. Because the seat is less popular with the "kids"

My son passed his test 2 years ago and we are still paying over £900 for his 1.2 fiesta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cheap! My first car cost over 2grand to insure :o

Yes but what was your first car? ...also there are so many other variables with insurance that will put the premiums up or down. :yawn::thumbdown:

My first car, a 1988 Nissan Micra GSX MK1 998cc cost around £750 to insure third party back in 1997.

I bought the car for £1300 odd so it was a lot of money really back then especially as my wage was only £2.50 per hour (I think it was) in the pub kitchens I worked in at the time. :blink::lol:

Very cheap! My first car cost over 2grand to insure :o

Yes but what was your first car? ...also there are so many other variables with insurance that will put the premiums up or down. :yawn::thumbdown:

My first car, a 1988 Nissan Micra GSX MK1 998cc cost around £750 to insure third party back in 1997.

I bought the car for £1300 odd so it was a lot of money really back then especially as my wage was only £2.50 per hour (I think it was) in the pub kitchens I worked in at the time. :blink::lol:

Only a vauxhall corsa b. Did have 16v so was a bit of a rocket ;):lol:

I understand it depends on area, milage value etc etc but that is a very good price.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

individual prices will vary according to wherever you are and other circumstances

however, in this case the only thing thats changed is that he has a full licence - address, age, other persons on insurance, etc etc are still the same - so comparing apples to apples

Ahh right, I thought for a second maybe you'd been one of those guys with a BMW 318i as his first car. :blush::lol:;)

Your old Corsa 16V would have thrashed my Micra though, ..it only had 4 forward gears & maybe 50BHp.

Did get "off the clock" in it going down hill with the wind behind me once though (circa 100mph ~ on a "private test track of course") . :lol::teeth:

Ahh right, I thought for a second maybe you'd been one of those guys with a BMW 318i as his first car. :blush::lol:;)

Your old Corsa 16V would have thrashed my Micra though, ..it only had 4 forward gears & maybe 50BHp.

Did get "off the clock" in it going down hill with the wind behind me once though (circa 100mph ~ on a "private test track of course") . :lol::teeth:

:lol: no, you'd never find me in a Bimmer.

Don't think the corsa would ever reach its top speed no matter how much wind or steep a hill it was on :lol:

Do miss having a car I don't have to care/worry about.

Don't think the corsa would ever reach its top speed no matter how much wind or steep a hill it was on :lol:

I know exactly what you mean, ...some of the antics me & my friends got up to in our first cars you'd never dream of doing with the nicer cars we have today.

"Car Sumo" for starters is out! :lol:;)

• Like 1

I know exactly what you mean, ...some of the antics me & my friends got up to in our first cars you'd never dream of doing with the nicer cars we have today.

"Car Sumo" for starters is out! :lol:;)

Yes,so true. The best and thing I miss most is "lightly" crashing into your mates at lights or in traffic. Then watching people's reactions :lol:

Can probably see why new drivers(mine) insurance is high actually :lol: :o

Hope all goes well for him and has many years of safe and trouble free miles ahead. Always a worry for parents though for a while after they have been let loose alone. I could never get to sleep properly until I heard the car return back to the drive at night. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Seems like a very low quote, hope he has many years of happy safe motoring now he is out on his own.

My first car was a citroen AX. £425 from a mechanic who lived round the corner. Cost me £700 for my first year of solo insurance. I lusted after the AX GT at the time but couldn't afford it and they were pretty rare even 10 years ago. I think to this day I have only actually seen two on the roads, and one of those wasn't even in this country. I had a 1.0, a quick check on parkers suggests it was 45 bhp when new, had ride height to rival a Land Cruiser but was very chuckable into tight bends and roundabouts, was a right laugh. Got broken into by some local pikeys who wanted to steal it, according to the police they were popular as they did well on fields etc, they didn't manage to steal it but made a complete mess, smashed a window, ruined the rear window seal, dash ripped apart, ignition barrel destroyed and bent steering column. Another one living half a mile from me on the same night was targeted too but wasn't so lucky in that it had disappeared. It was at this time that I learned how valuable the local scrappies were when it came to budget motoring. Fixed the whole lot for about £30 although it did mean I had a separate key for the door and ignition. I eventually sold it to a garage it had been towed to when the ECU packed up. Apparently they did get it back on the road again and I have wondered what happened to it ever since. (Sorry didn't mean for this to become an essay, thinking about my first car got me all sentimental)