Have I done goofed?? Idle Issue - Fix Page 3

jowen7448

Have you bled the system to clear any air locks ie removed the bleed screw from the pipe to the left rear by the brake fluid cover ?.

Edited by Payco

Hi mate, ta for offer. Think I found on opposite side, by battery. Black Phillips head screw at a tee in the pipe? Released, have also released the pressure cap by dipstick. Lost a little bit of toasty coolant from the bleeder screw as engine was still hotter than expected. Mopping up now hoping I haven't boiled anything

Sounds like you found it.I would give all your pipes a good squeeze with the engine running but mind your hands with the belts.Good luck mate.Last ditch I would call out a local mobile mechanic as they will probably get you straight in very little time for not much cost.

Edited by Payco

Well the mystery continues, have tried bleeding the coolant a couple of times to release any possible air locks.

Massive thanks to SuperStu who came round and plugged me in to his laptop. No codes stored on ECU.

Did a small amount of data logging. I have produced some graphs of the results so if anyone can shed any light on the information in them I don't know what I'm looking for. We both thought most things looked pretty normal.

On the short run we didn't experience the surging idle that I have on video, still not got a way to get that off my phone yet but did experience some rather grim hot smell from the back, not helped by all trapping itself in the garage.

Think I will concede for tonight and give RS a call in the morning unless anyone has any brain waves.

allData_zps9pbhu07e.png

I think you've done the initial resets on a cold engine, hence your high idle and over fuelling issue.

Start completely again, step by step on a warm engine. Ie disconnect the battery after the engine has warmed to the correct operating temperature. And follow the x3 resets in order.

David

• Like 1

I think you've done the initial resets on a cold engine, hence your high idle and over fuelling issue.

Start completely again, step by step on a warm engine. Ie disconnect the battery after the engine has warmed to the correct operating temperature. And follow the x3 resets in order.

David

Hi mate, thanks for the suggestion, I tried all the resets after having driven around for a few minutes to get everything nice and warm. But as I am currently at my wits end I will try again.

Decided last night I had to forget about the car temporarily as it was driving me nuts. Tried bleeding the coolant again to see if that helped. Some air did come out so I am starting to lean towards a stubborn airlock being the cause of my issues. Heater air isn't cold but it doesn't feel mega toasty either (don't know if I'm clutching at straws).

Got some other things to do at the moment like assembling some furniture but will probably strip everything down back to the point of throttle bodies off and put back together again (3rd time lucky hopefully) and see if anything improves. Well mystified and peeved at this. RS don't appear open today either (fair enough, bank holiday weekend) so will keep plugging away at it til they open again on Tuesday.

Just in case anyone is still interested in this, or if someone in the future has a similar problem and stumbles across this thread an update:

There was no improvements after rechecking everything etc again. Chatting to Mark @ Abbey he suggested a proper ECU reset by disconnecting. So unplugged the ECU and battery and left it like that for approx 17 hours (as a side note, if you have HR you don't need to remove any trim to do this, I think you might need to on DE or pre-facelift, so don't waste time like I did, on your back in passenger footwell all reachable).

Reconnected it all today. Started it, seemed ok at first, so went for a drive to get some fuel and problems returned. Will be having a chat with Mark shortly about options now but it's looking like NATS/idle corruption. Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions so far, I will post further updates as I get them and will make sure I post solution when I am solved.

Sorry to hear this, fingers crossed for a fix soon

Cheers mate, obviously am a little gutted. Still a chance it could not be that i guess but we will see. It's money that could have been put to nicer use like alloy refurb or something, oh well, still time in the future.

I'm really surprised at how much mither you're having with this.

I had my throttle body off like a tarts draws and never had an issue.

One thing I'd say is don't let it put you off.....stuff just goes wrong sometimes. Chances are it's not even something you've done wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

One thing I'd say is don't let it put you off.....stuff just goes wrong sometimes. Chances are it's not even something you've done wrong.

Aye that's the real kick in the nuts. On previous cars have always done throttle body clean as part of my servicing routine and never had a problem. Makes me wonder if I did do something and it does knock the confidence a little. Thanks for the words of encouragement

A least you've got a line of enquiry, hopefully it's not as painful a fix as it sounds. Keep plugging away :thumbs:

Aye thanks, and thanks again for coming round the other day. Will hopefully speak to Mark soon and see if we get further along, fingers crossed.

Aye that's the real kick in the nuts. On previous cars have always done throttle body clean as part of my servicing routine and never had a problem. Makes me wonder if I did do something and it does knock the confidence a little. Thanks for the words of encouragement

Btw when I too mine off I was practically special needs with a spanner so the chances of you doing anything wrong are pretty slim to be fair.

I'd love to know the purpose of the coolant lines to the TB though? Anyone shed any light. Much as I've been around for 5 years I've never really questioned it.

Btw when I too mine off I was practically special needs with a spanner so the chances of you doing anything wrong are pretty slim to be fair.

I'd love to know the purpose of the coolant lines to the TB though? Anyone shed any light. Much as I've been around for 5 years I've never really questioned it.

Yeah I had wondered myself. Wasn't expecting to get green hands when I took those hoses off. If you do find out let me know. Seen post above now. Ta

Edited by jowen7448

I'm guessing if it's cold enough to freeze the coolant you have bigger issues to worry about. As soon as engine is ticking over the coolant heating up would presumably be enough to keep it going right.

Wonder if a similar trick keeps windscreen washer flowing. I remember a nightmare drive one christmas eve in my trusty old Citroen AX (non GT i'm afraid) where it was so cold on my 420 mile journey that I couldn't wash the screen. Had to pull over every 40 minutes to use snow to wash the screen with. Was a loong trip. When I got off the motorway visibility was so poor with dirty screen and headlights, snow and no street lighting that I couldn't actually see anywhere to be able to pull over to wash everything. Luckily at 11:30pm christmas eve I didn't see anyone once off M25.

Edit: Funnily enough ECU issues were what made me scrap it in the end.

Edited by jowen7448

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed her?

Thanks for checkin back, unfortunately not yet, it's all a little strange. Mark @ Abbey had my ECU through the post and reflashed it. Mega quick turn around by them and stunning service so kudos to him and at first it seemed ok. But then went back to being mental as soon as I went for a proper drive.

The really bizarre bit of this is that I have recently had a couple of 100 mile plus journeys to do, Mark assured me it was fine to drive til we get to the bottom of it, and whilst the idle is strange at the start of the journey, by the time I got to my destination each time it had settled down to what it should be.

Mark on hols at the min so attempting a resolution has taken a brief pause but he has been ace so far and I am looking forward to speaking to him again when he returns.