Maybe need new tyres - constant wheelspin!

marzman

Hey folks

I have a tiptronic JDM, and with this spectacularly bad weather we've had this last few weeks, im having trouble keeping her on the road.

Im not talking about when cornering - obviously im driving like a granny in this wet, but when on the straights (dual carriageway mostly) when i put my foot down and it goes down a couple of gears (i.e. 5th to 3rd), i almost end up binning it in the barrier cos i loose all traction and she tries to go sideways on me...! Its happened about 5 times this month. Its scary.

Apart from not putting my foot down in the wet anymore (boooooo!), what else is there? Do i need new tyres? I've got Kumho's on there now on the standard 17" Jap wheels... I dont want to blow £600 on tyres when i might be able to get some used wheels/tyres for a bit more you know?

I've not seen anything on eBay under £1500 yet, and im not paying that for a set - any other suggestions?

Really, as cheap as that?

I was paying £150 a corner on my bmw for 17's (Vredestein Ultrac's) so was expecting a similar price. Whats the crack with getting things of people on here...? i see it on so many threads but i dont know who these people are or what they do!!

I'd put it down to the weather. I seem to be able to light my wheels up anytime I want if I put enough weight on my right foot at the moment. My tread depth is good and I'm runnning the standard issue Potenza's (although I know they aren't the best in the wet.

I think its because its a fairly heavy car, all the weight is at the front, the power is at the back and the road conditions are extremely slippy.

Not sure that is going to help you mind...

When it comes to tyres, i would never scrape below a good set, i think you will be looking at about £400 or so for Toyos from Andy?

£400 for 18" Toyos T1-R's?? You sure?! If so, that is a great deal for a very good tyre. :)

When it comes to tyres, i would never scrape below a good set, i think you will be looking at about £400 or so for Toyos from Andy?

£400 for 18" Toyos T1-R's?? You sure?! If so, that is a great deal for a very good tyre. :)

I think so, cant remember but it was around that?

Aye, mine is a bit shaky at the moment - Im initiating drifts (on private land of course) with no more than 3.5K revs, which is scary when you think about it.

Having said that, Ive got rubbish Nankangs on that dont help matters - Im trying to kill them as quckly as possible so I can get some Toyos or Falken 452's :thumbs:

I think so, cant remember but it was around that?
Toyos

Just paid £480 inc Vat for set of 18" Toyos

Just paid £300 for two rear contisports and they are much quieter than the toyos that were on before, and I have no slippy complaints even in the torrential rain on the A1 today.

Personal choice I know but Toyos don't feel planted enough for my liking, they tend to be imprecise on the steering end IMO. I`ll soon find out as it will be new contis on the front soon as well.

Yes they cost more but I`ll get a lot more miles out of them too!

This is all interesting talk... your tyres are a big decision!

can people post up their mileages/life times of respective tyres, as the Z is my daily driver and they'll see a lot of miles! I dont want to only get 10k out of a set!!

This is all interesting talk... your tyres are a big decision!

can people post up their mileages/life times of respective tyres, as the Z is my daily driver and they'll see a lot of miles! I dont want to only get 10k out of a set!!

Sorry bud, but you've got a 300bhp rear wheel drive sports car. The only thing that keeps you on the road are 4 patches of rubber and surely you want the car to stay on the road. Especially if it is a daily driver, when you will be dealing with all sorts of conditions.... You buy cheap you normally buy twice, or in the case of tyres it can be a new car.

Toyos and Falkens won't be the hardest tyres out there, but nor do they wear very quckly. You could get 10k on them, you could get 20k, depends how heavy your right foot is and how much fun you have on the twistys! :teeth:;)

I have Toyo Proxes T1-R's on mine, and have done for the last 10k. They're doing fine. :thumbs:

Sorry bud, but you've got a 300bhp rear wheel drive sports car. The only thing that keeps you on the road are 4 patches of rubber and surely you want the car to stay on the road.

Very true. Basically, any kind of electronic control system in any car will only go so far. If you bury the pedal in the carpet in the wet then you have to be aware of the consequences.

If we all drove totally manual cars (no ESP, traction control, ABS, power steering, etc) then we'd learn that it's not appropriate to floor it in those circumstances. Feather the throttle ever so slightly to feed the power in and it's much less of an issue.

I don't want to sound patronising but I don't think tyres are your problem, it's your driving style. I'm guilty too though! :blush:

As for tyres, I just put 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 2's (245/19 & 275/19) on my Zed because I couldn't get any other top branded tyre in those sizes :( I would have had Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric's, or Bridgestone RE050-A's, etc. But no, the only tyres that were available are the most expensive. :headhurt:

£835 inc wheel alignment :(